Vector smart pod is odd

May 28, 2011
USA Indiana
I recently got a vector with two smart pods. The left one is perfectly fine, the right one isn't. I replaced the pod with one I got here, but it does the exact same thing. What's happening is, for one, it's noisy. It's like a ticking grinding noise, and has a shutter. Then, when the lights go off, it resets to very odd "home" positions, at random and will change. does anyone know how or what to correct or replace?

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
truckingeskimo said:
I recently got a vector with two smart pods. The left one is perfectly fine, the right one isn't. I replaced the pod with one I got here, but it does the exact same thing. What's happening is, for one, it's noisy. It's like a ticking grinding noise, and has a shutter. Then, when the lights go off, it resets to very odd "home" positions, at random and will change. does anyone know how or what to correct or replace?

thats a new one to me!! sounds like a circuit board problem. try using a bigger hammer to fix it!! :bonk:

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
I'm no expert, but it does sound like a problem with the circuit board itself if it is having the same issue with a new pod.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
If you can figure out which boards you need, I found some on the shelf.

I found:

Z2001128C - pcba,vect,smrt pod

Z2001121A - pcba,smartvector,ph.3

Not really sure what they do, since I'm not a pod kind of guy.

I never got into the vector/vision bars.

Pete

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
I'll have to agree with that it's a board problem. I've never worked on mine so I don't know how easy it is to do but, try swapping the two pods around. That should let you know if it's a board or pod problem, If its pod then the problem will exist on the same pod, if it's board it will be on the same position in the lightbar.

Does that make sense? I don't know if I explained it right

lite-em-up

May 23, 2010
Eastern Missouri
What are you using for a power supply? When I work on bars with electronics in them that are acting funny, ALWAYS check ground wires and ALWAYS use either a car battery or a REALLY good clean power supply.

If the bar still acts goofy, then move on to the expensive stuff.

mrs638

Aug 1, 2010
Mooresville
Mine is similar but different ....

I relocated my smart pods to 1 & 7 from 2 & 6. Installed lightbar on my EXT & it worked fine (3+ months) until about 2 weeks ago. It resets to non standard home positions also. Thought maybe it was the sensor stopping it from rotating so I attempted to adjust it to see none was needed. Popped the triangle open and swapped plugs on the controller board to have the same problem stay in the same pod. Swapped sensor boards from one pod to the other with no change in issues. That leaves me to think the motor is not acting right, I ordered a few NOS motors and just tried to swap them out today only to still have the same problem. WTF? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Davin

May 28, 2011
USA Indiana
mrs638 said:
Mine is similar but different ....

I relocated my smart pods to 1 & 7 from 2 & 6. Installed lightbar on my EXT & it worked fine (3+ months) until about 2 weeks ago. It resets to non standard home positions also. Thought maybe it was the sensor stopping it from rotating so I attempted to adjust it to see none was needed. Popped the triangle open and swapped plugs on the controller board to have the same problem stay in the same pod. Swapped sensor boards from one pod to the other with no change in issues. That leaves me to think the motor is not acting right, I ordered a few NOS motors and just tried to swap them out today only to still have the same problem. WTF? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Davin

That's weird, and doesnt make me feel good about mine lol

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Swap the cable on the board. If it stays with the same pod, swap the position sensor. If it still stays with the pod, motor is defective.

LENNY

Feb 1, 2011
LONG ISLAND NY
Make sure all plugs and pins are clean. I had one pod not find home so i pulled the pulg to the board it had some white dust on the pins, cleaned it off and it was fine. disconect power before service

May 28, 2011
USA Indiana
LENNY said:
Make sure all plugs and pins are clean. I had one pod not find home so i pulled the pulg to the board it had some white dust on the pins, cleaned it off and it was fine. disconect power before service

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm still trying to get into it (well, I havent touched it since posting) but it's rivited together and the bottom at the back?

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
truckingeskimo said:
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm still trying to get into it (well, I havent touched it since posting) but it's rivited together and the bottom at the back?
I hate it when ppl do that.

As mentioned, I too have a bunch of parts for these.

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
+1. I have literally 100 stepper motors for these things if it's needed. I had a Vision that liked to do this on random pods... Eventually traced it down to a poor connection between the cable and circuit board for the motor. Those push-on red connectors are atrocious... Almost worth just soldering the wiring to the board, forget the connector...

I'm so glad they didn't do this with the Vision SLR. Lesson learned I suppose.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
d119 said:
+1. I have literally 100 stepper motors for these things if it's needed. I had a Vision that liked to do this on random pods... Eventually traced it down to a poor connection between the cable and circuit board for the motor. Those push-on red connectors are atrocious... Almost worth just soldering the wiring to the board, forget the connector...

I'm so glad they didn't do this with the Vision SLR. Lesson learned I suppose.

A+ I have had the connector come off the board due to a cold solder joint.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.