Vehicle Pursuit Policies Project

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
I'm looking for different Vehicle Pursuit Policies for a project I am working on in cooperation with University of South Carolina. If CURRENT LEO's could post a BRIEF summary of their policy and include whether you are federal, state, local, or other type of department OR send me a link to the actual policy. I don't want people saying "I think this department does this" because I need imperical evidence that I can use in a analysis report. If you would feel more comfortable doing it via PM, please do so. I have 2 months, so no time pressure.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Dave

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Our department does not have a any written SOPs on pursuits its just pretty much up to the officer if he or she wants to proceed with the pursuit. Our only rules are Do Not PIT the vehicle since we are not trained to do it. Pretty much if we get in a pursuit we transfer over command to sheriffs office and assist them.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Station 3 said:
Our department does not have a any written SOPs on pursuits its just pretty much up to the officer if he or she wants to proceed with the pursuit. Our only rules are Do Not PIT the vehicle since we are not trained to do it. Pretty much if we get in a pursuit we transfer over command to sheriffs office and assist them.

So you don't have to justify whether they are a suspect in a felony or a misdemeanor? Any termination policies? I'm not judging, just asking.

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Station 3 said:

HOLY CRAP!!

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Yup its true and im pretty darn sure none of the surrounding PDs in my area have any SOPs for pursuits they pretty much do what we do which is hand over command to the County and they decide if they want to proceed or not. And since we have been in pursuits i know how county is they usually chase until the guy wrecks or he gets away if it gets to crazy we let Texas State Police call it if we should continue or not. But Texas DPS is even more crazy they hate letting chases get away.

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
AMAZINGLY Stupid!!

In Ohio, its law that every agency have a pursuit policy.

"2935.031 Motor vehicle pursuit policy.

Any agency, instrumentality, or political subdivision of the state that employs a sheriff, deputy sheriff, constable, marshal, deputy marshal, police officer, member of a metropolitan housing authority police force, state university law enforcement officer, or veterans’ home police officer with arrest authority under section 2935.03 of the Revised Code or that employs other persons with arrest authority under the Revised Code, shall adopt a policy for the pursuit in a motor vehicle of any person who violates a law of this state or an ordinance of a municipal corporation. The chief law enforcement officer or other chief official of the agency, instrumentality, or political subdivision shall formally advise each peace officer or other person with arrest authority it employs of the pursuit policy adopted by that agency, instrumentality, or political subdivision pursuant to this section."

I can't even phathom the liability your department is assuming by NOT having a policy. Not to be a dick, but you are scrutinizing a FD for its operations, maybe time to look a little closer to home.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I will see what I can remember off the top of my head, since we just had a mini-refresher:

Any officer who attempts to conduct a traffic stop on a vehicle and said vehicle flees shall not engage in a pursuit unless the need for and risks of the pursuit outweigh the risk to the general public. When weighing the risks, the officer is to consider the following: reason for the attempted stop, any known reason why the driver my be fleeing, condition of the driver's vehicle, time of day, weather, traffic conditions, road conditions, route the driver is taking and if towards a more populated area, speeds, number of officers involved, officer's experience, and condition of officer's vehicle. During the pursuit, the officer shall constantly re-evaluate the above criteria.

Due to the hazards of pursuits, all officers shall drive with due regard. At the start of a pursuit, the officer shall advise dispatch, who will advise all other units to 'hold the air, chase in progress, go ahead (unit in chase)'. Said officer shall then inform dispatch as to the exact reason for the stop, vehicle and tag information, direction of travel, speeds, and traffic conditions. No officer shall engage in pursuit while someone other than a member of this department is the chase vehicle. While in pursuit, the officer shall keep all emergency lighting equipment activated, as well as their siren. The officer shall continue to update direction of travel, speed, and traffic conditions. This duty shall be passed along to the secondary officer once they have joined the pursuit. No more than two back up officers and a supervisor shall be directly involved in a pursuit. Other officers who are not preforming other duties may parallel the chase, block off major intersections and attempt to clear traffic which is blocking the oncoming chase.

No unmarked vehicles may be the lead or direct support units during a chase. No slick top vehicles may be the lead unit during a chase. If either vehicle initiates the pursuit, they shall digress to an allowed roll once fully marked and equipped units arrive.

Pursuing officer shall maintain a distance of 100 feet from the vehicle being chased. Absolutely NO contact shall be intentionally made between an officer's vehicle and the suspects. The PITT maneuver may only be preformed by a member of the State Patrol or by a trained officer when the use of deadly force would be authorized and an immediate threat to human life is present. No rolling or stationary road blocks shall be authorized by anyone other than a lieutenant or higher. The use of spike strips is authorized for all pursuits where they may be safely deployed by a trained officer.

During said pursuit, the officer initiating the pursuit, the officer's supervisor or acting supervisor, or an officer of the rank of lieutenant or above may cancel the pursuit. A dispatcher may NOT cancel a pursuit unless one of the following conditions is met: the dispatcher is informed by one of the above listed personal that the pursuit is to be canceled and they shall dispatch it as such (example: All PD unit, per 101, cancel the pursuit), or the dispatcher on duty is also actively employed with the police department as an officer and holds the rank of Sergeant but only if no Corporal, Sergeant, or higher rank is able to be reached by radio.

Once the decision to terminate the pursuit has been made, all officers shall turn off all emergency warning equipment but shall leave their video camera activated. They shall radio dispatch that they have canceled and shall then turn there vehicle around in the opposite direction when it is safe to do so. The officer shall exit the vehicle, stand in front of the camera, then return to the vehicle and continue in the opposite direction before turning said camera off. A supervisor (or acting) may authorize up to two officers to 'cold follow' the suspect, provided the officers increase the distance between vehicles, maintain a safe speed, obey usual traffic laws, and do not activate their emergency warning equipment unless extenuating circumstance exist.

After the pursuit has ended, for any reason, the lead officer shall complete an incident report with a detailed narrative as soon as reasonably possible and before the officer ends their shift.

I know that was a LOT, and I'm sorry, but I dont feel like proof reading it right now, haha. However, all of that translates to this: if they run, chase. We will chase for anything and will go any where. Let me know if you have any questions.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Its not a liability since County Takes over we then fall back our town is so small that i can patrol the whole town in 10 min not worth having a pursuit policy if there is no where to pursue them. Thats why county or state police take over the pursuit

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Fast LT1, thanks for the link! Read the whole thing.

RL1 said:
Once the decision to terminate the pursuit has been made, all officers shall turn off all emergency warning equipment but shall leave their video camera activated. They shall radio dispatch that they have canceled and shall then turn there vehicle around in the opposite direction when it is safe to do so. The officer shall exit the vehicle, stand in front of the camera, then return to the vehicle and continue in the opposite direction before turning said camera off. A supervisor (or acting) may authorize up to two officers to 'cold follow' the suspect, provided the officers increase the distance between vehicles, maintain a safe speed, obey usual traffic laws, and do not activate their emergency warning equipment unless extenuating circumstance exist.

Thanks for the info and that was just what I needed. Now I understand the point of having the camera still running after termination, but do you have any idea why the officer is required to exit the vehicle? That's just me being curious.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
DaveCN5 said:

Thanks for the info and that was just what I needed. Now I understand the point of having the camera still running after termination, but do you have any idea why the officer is required to exit the vehicle? That's just me being curious.

Im going to talk to my chief to see if we can start our own SOPs we need them

TNFF412N

May 22, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
DaveCN5 said:

If im not mistaken its to get the officer out of the tunnel vision and relax from the call...... I heard this at a training class just this week. Not sure if it is BS or true we really didnt go into it any further

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
TNFF412N said:
If im not mistaken its to get the officer out of the tunnel vision and relax from the call...... I heard this at a training class just this week. Not sure if it is BS or true we really didnt go into it any further

Sounds plausible to me! I don't recall anyone ever explaining it during E.V.D. training.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
It is 2 part: 1. break tunnel vision and remind the officer the day goes on, and 2. no one can say the officer turned off the camera and then turned around again and started the chase back up. If the suspect wrecks 1/4 mile down the road, the officer can say 100% there was no way he was in pursuit, esp since most of the time the BG is going to be out of sight by the time he returns to his car. It was recently added by the patrol LT, hasn't been put in the actual SOPs yet, though.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
RL1 said:
It is 2 part: 1. break tunnel vision and remind the officer the day goes on, and 2. no one can say the officer turned off the camera and then turned around again and started the chase back up. If the suspect wrecks 1/4 mile down the road, the officer can say 100% there was no way he was in pursuit, esp since most of the time the BG is going to be out of sight by the time he returns to his car. It was recently added by the patrol LT, hasn't been put in the actual SOPs yet, though.

Huh, very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Of the few policies that I have read in depth it seems that most departments place restrictions on unmarked and slick top cars being in pursuits (which I understand). Does anyone know of policies that mention the use of PPV's or non-PPVs?

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
That whole standing in front of the car thing is a new thing to me, but it would make sense here in Iowa as the "eluding police" law states that the police vehicle must be marked, and that the officer must be in uniform, so walking in front of the camera would also prove that the officer was in uniform, if the suspect were to be caught later.

I don't have our departments pursuit policy infront of me but here's some basics.

-A pursuit may be initiated by any officer for any violation

-A pursuit may be called off by the officer OR a supervisor for safety reasons (however we usually work by ourselves with no supervisor on duty)

-Officer is to request that dispatch notify the chief of police immediately upon initiation of a pursuit, by phone (off duty) or radio (on duty).

-At no point during a pursuit may an officer drive in the wrong lane of traffic on divided highway (you can't follow the guy going westbound down the eastbound lanes, you have to stay in the westbound lanes on the other side).

-A pursuit initiated by another agency must enter the city limits before we can join in. If there's more than one of us working at the same time, the senior officer is to make the decision if he wants to join the pursuit, and the junior officer will stay in town. I might be mixing some of that up with our mutual aid policy, though.

I think the intention of the policy is to basically get the chief on the radio so he can call the shots, but he usually just acknowledges that he's listening and lets us do our thing. He's never called a single pursuit to end that I know of.

I will try to dig up the actual policy at work tonight, if you see me on facebook or chat tonight, remind me.

If I remember correctly, our PIT policy says it must be ok'd by a supervisor (chief) before initiation, however in any pursuit we've had since I started, the chief usually gets on the radio and says something to the equivalent of "do what you gotta do", since he trusts us all 100% in our judgement. I had a chase about a month and a half ago, it was only about 2 or 3 minutes long, but it was starting to snow so I PIT'd the guy as soon as I had the opportunity, even though I hadn't heard anything from my chief and dispatch hadn't even called him yet. I later explained to him that I didn't want the guy wrecking out into a phone pole and suing us because i chased him when it started to snow, so I ended it as quickly and in as safe of a manner as possible on my terms. He gave me the big thumbs up on that one and said "we've got policies, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to end it your way!"

We have a PIT policy but of course I'm the only one of 9 guys that is actually certified for it, lol.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
I was waiting for you to chime in Ben. I'll try to remember to remind you to find the policy. But, there's no big rush because I am no where near being pressed for time.

I figured I would post this as well for those who have asked me. I am working with a police strategy research firm called Deadly Force. There is a TON of information on their site from past projects about Use of Helicopters, Use of Force, Pursuits, Emergency Driving, and Early Warning Systems.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Okay, you guys might actually enjoy this, I need videos, lots and lots of videos of police chases. If you guys start posting your links to your favorite ones, it would really help me out.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Here's an interesting one...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cawensel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.