Vehicle Tracking

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
So, I need some suggestions on very cheap vehicle tracking/history recording and ideally event recording as well. (example: Siren/lights on/off monitoring)

Anyone got any ideas? Hoping to find something that will not cost an arm or a leg with monthly subscriptions, etc..

Thanks!

unlisted said:
So, I need some suggestions on very cheap vehicle tracking/history recording and ideally event recording as well. (example: Siren/lights on/off monitoring)

Anyone got any ideas? Hoping to find something that will not cost an arm or a leg with monthly subscriptions, etc..

Thanks!

Really you could wire a relay to power anything while the lights are on....hmmmm

Some video systems have a wire that turns them on with various warning devices. A full video system would be the most bang for the buck.... but maybe too many bucks total..

Have you looked into like the camera type systems they have now and days for the cruisers? I know I have seen a lot of them that can monitor lights on/off siren, brakes, speed, and all that. I don't know how much it would cost but I didn't know if that was something you might have looked at. And if even they would work without the camera which I assume they would. Just a thought.. :)

P.S. - John.. Get out of my head and stop following me! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Well, we have a few ambulances we need monitored.. More worried about people "joyriding" and/or driving unsafely. They used to have a full tracked system in them with the agency prior ours, but they removed the radios- left all the antennas thou.

I am considering two main types currently- one that has "live tracking" (ideal) or one that only does recording. Didn't consider a video system... Nor do they (we) have the funds for a full DVR system.

John.. What was that one thing Duane was wanting to pitch out a while back?? Maybe something like that would work cause it isn't a DVR type system.. Maybe you can shed some light on it.

Fluffy126577 said:
John.. What was that one thing Duane was wanting to pitch out a while back?? Maybe something like that would work cause it isn't a DVR type system.. Maybe you can shed some light on it.

It was a transponder of some sort, broken though I think. The DVR systems as getting really less and less expensive. The also get you a break on your insurance.

Outside of "Real Time" tracking this should workhttp://roscovision.com/Categories-Products.aspx?Category=d7320eca-4eb4-4a2a-91fe-44232a043a61

More and more Limo Buses and even Stretches are getting these FREE from thier insurance companies.

Dual-Vision™ by Rosco is a self-contained, dual-camera, high-capacity audio/video digital recorder with GPS speed, location and GPS sensor data collection integrated into one unit with a security enclosure designed to prevent any tampering. An industry innovation, the palm-sized unit is secured to the windshield and provides a 130-142 degree clear view of both the exterior and interior of the vehicle.

•Data stored on removable SD card

•Video/audio can be replayed on any computer, no special de-coding subscription required

•Shut-down timer allows continued recording with the engine turned off

•Integrated GPS tracking

•Speed, direction, location, vehicle number and date/time stamp

Kinda interesting.. but I need something that can record events for a solid week... and record when lights/siren is in use. (also less obvious) - in other words, something I can mount in the electrical cabinet on the ambulance, and lock away from everyone. (we have that cabinet on a separate key)

The DVR feature is nice.. but its not a requirement. Actually, the more I think about it.. the more I like it overall...

wkr518 said:
Outside of "Real Time" tracking this should workhttp://roscovision.com/Categories-Products.aspx?Category=d7320eca-4eb4-4a2a-91fe-44232a043a61
More and more Limo Buses and even Stretches are getting these FREE from thier insurance companies.

Dual-Vision™ by Rosco is a self-contained, dual-camera, high-capacity audio/video digital recorder with GPS speed, location and GPS sensor data collection integrated into one unit with a security enclosure designed to prevent any tampering. An industry innovation, the palm-sized unit is secured to the windshield and provides a 130-142 degree clear view of both the exterior and interior of the vehicle.

•Data stored on removable SD card

•Video/audio can be replayed on any computer, no special de-coding subscription required

•Shut-down timer allows continued recording with the engine turned off

•Integrated GPS tracking

•Speed, direction, location, vehicle number and date/time stamp

I don't know how reliable this is... I watched the demo video and at 0:59 when the bus is loading passengers at a full stop the video says its going 18 MPH....

Consumer (even military) GPS is not 100% perfect. I often am doing around 1-4 km/h in my car- in park. Its just the satellites in orbit moving on an axis tricking the gps receiver.

It looks like what you would need. Seems to be very compact. Are the "Alarm Triggers" I wonder the place where you can put things like the lights and stuff going and what not. I know you said that was a concern.

I would need something a tad more secure- less prone to people trying to "bugger" with it. I asked some of the drivers and the general consensus is "HELL NO!" (guess I just found out who would bugger around/abuse equipment)

I'd also need something that can record all the time- when the ambulance is in use/moving/on.

I use a company called NAVTRAK, for all the tow and service trucks it updates every 2 minutes, and has many inputs to trigger logging of functions such as PTO On/Off, warning lights On/Off, siren On/Off and many other inputs that are programmable it also does the basics such as idle time, speed, direction, excessive speed warnings, boundary "fencing" and also you can program area's that are "known" sports for vehicles to not be in

Being an employee of a LARGE Ambulance service (private) that uses the windshield-mount cams, I can enlighten a little. Called Drive-Cam, ours are very dependable, and almost fool-proof and tamper resistant. But, ours have no option to activate with lights and siren use. Our are activated by motion (sudden motion), bumping, striking something (even a curb). They record onto a built-in data card, but only save in the event of an activation. The interesting thing is that they can be set to record 10-20 second BACKWARDS from the activation as well as recording 10-20 seconds after the activation. This is saved as an event in the system and can be manually downloaded using either a pre-set jump drive or a laptop.

I know there are electrical cables that leave the box on the windshield and go down below the dashboard, but I dont think we have anyone that has tracked them. Im thinking they COULD be wired to a relay on the "Master Emergency" or lightbar post or relay to cause that "gump" needed to start the event.

We have a larger service with around 50 units, and let me tell you, no one messes with the Drive-Cams, since you can be fired for even attempting to cover one. Ours have 2 lenses, one facing forward and one facing backward into the cab.

IF you want I can get you in touch with someone at our office that can tell you more.

i dont know how much this would cost you but we use these at work. http://www.wirelessmatrix.com/ they update your position every 2 min. they way ours are wired is one wire for constant power and one for ignition that way they can track our idle time, but i would think you could wire that you your master light power. also something real nice they just added is a garmin unit to it. now they can send the calls to the garmin and it will pre route it for you. that way you dont have to fumble with it while driving(even though your not suppose to :twisted:)

Look at CES. I installed two different of their systems. First is radio based where you interface CES modem(GPS-150) into a vhf radio then have a radio receiving with a second modem that decodes all the inputs and outputs and runs a secondary gps antenna. The second is a cellular based(GPS-206, i think) that in my opinion is better. One antenna does both gps and cell and you log in online and can look at the location of the vehicles and also have two inputs and one output. I have it set up to monitor the lights and the siren and the customer can unlock the patrol car from dispatch.

Many of your modern radios can be equipped with a GPS transponder board. You're looking at ~100 per radio, plus installation of the board. With modern radios that can do MDC 1200, or FleetSync, etc, you can have "external alarm" triggers that send pre defined messages using the accessories connections on the radio.

To watch/record, all you need is a base radio, computer, and software.

Please visit www.safetyvision.com

We supply the public and private sectors with onboard video technology to enhance safety, reduce risk, improve productivity, and maximize profit. Our expertise is grounded in our long history and our thorough understanding of video technology applications across the mobile landscape:

•The public safety, passenger transport, and first responder communities rely on our mobile digital recording technologies for evidentiary video and audio data in the event of accident or claim.

•Fleet customers across many commercial transportation and heavy equipment industries use our collision avoidance camera systems to improve safety by enhancing driver visibility.

•And many customers look to us for customized solutions that integrate these and other mobile systems and technologies.

BjordanSV said:
Please visit www.safetyvision.com

We supply the public and private sectors with onboard video technology to enhance safety, reduce risk, improve productivity, and maximize profit. Our expertise is grounded in our long history and our thorough understanding of video technology applications across the mobile landscape:

•The public safety, passenger transport, and first responder communities rely on our mobile digital recording technologies for evidentiary video and audio data in the event of accident or claim.

•Fleet customers across many commercial transportation and heavy equipment industries use our collision avoidance camera systems to improve safety by enhancing driver visibility.

•And many customers look to us for customized solutions that integrate these and other mobile systems and technologies.

Ummm....can you say blatant advertising utilizing an OLD thread??????

Did the OP get what he was looking for? If so, how is it working for them?

I like it when somebody has a new for something and shares the solution they found.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381