Very old sounding manual siren on this Whelen ws-295 siren

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Hi folks!

I have noticed that my Whelen WS295-mp siren has got a very old sounding MANUAL siren, almost like the old Director sirens.

If you search in youtube "whelen ws295" you´ll find soundsamples (not my siren but the manual siren sounds the same).

The sound is kind of mechanical. Anyone else here got the same siren?

My siren has also got all the other sirensounds, AIRHORN, WAIL, YELP, TWO-TONE, PIERCER.

How rare is this siren? Was the model used on policecars in USA? 

Feb113 016 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I have never seen a 295 like yours with Wail, Yelp, Two Tone, and Piercer or with the Pursuit switch. Maybe it is a European only variation?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
The early technology of some of the Whelen sirens had a distinct mechanical tone to them that was lost with later technology.  I have a very old WS295 that sounds that way when I can get it to work.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Well, what do you expect when someone just hands the thing to you and sez, "See what you can do with this thing."   It's an original.  One time it will work just fine and the next time it plays hard to get....! :angry:

Reactions: SomeBloke

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This was offered in the US in 1990.  In fact it was a transition period for Whelen between the new (micro processor) and old styles of sirens.

mp.jpg

wc 048.jpgwc 049.jpgwc 050.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Skip Goulet

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Y'all have heard me say this before.  I don't care for the sirens with microprocessors for the most part.  Some of them are o.k., but others just don't have a real siren sound.  The one nice thing that has come from them, however, is the technology that allows for the Q-sound on the newer sirens.  I had an EQ2B for a while that I liked; but I got an offer that I couldn't refuse for it.  I've got a Whelen Gamma-2 siren that I like, and it has some neat sounds.   The one X-Ecutor that I heard close up several years ago sounded terrible.  Tim (Henry 455) has got an Alpha siren that has the X-Ecutor sound, and it sounds terrific!  Go figure!

Y'all have heard me say this before.  I don't care for the sirens with microprocessors for the most part. 
You know, when ever I get around to sorting out my Stirling Tri-Sound, I think you'll enjoy it immensely.

You can always tell if a Whelen siren is Euro produced (or Woodway branded) because of how short the interval is during the two tone/hilo tones.  Euro boxes tend to have fast/shorter intervals between the hi and lo sound, whereas the US ones I've heard have a slower hi and lo interval

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I'd like to hear that siren some time.  Last night (Sunday) I happened to catch a program on our PBS TV station and they were doing a documentary on the history of the investigative arm of Scotland Yard and how their techniques, and eventually forensics developed over the years.  One part was shot near New Scotland Yard and it showed a London police car running "hot", and I was quite surprised to hear a siren.  For so many years (at least in movies), all you heard from London police, etc., were bells or the European hi-lo horns.

Reactions: SomeBloke
I'd like to hear that siren some time.  Last night (Sunday) I happened to catch a program on our PBS TV station and they were doing a documentary on the history of the investigative arm of Scotland Yard and how their techniques, and eventually forensics developed over the years.  One part was shot near New Scotland Yard and it showed a London police car running "hot", and I was quite surprised to hear a siren.  For so many years (at least in movies), all you heard from London police, etc., were bells or the European hi-lo horns.
Sorry to hi=jack the thread a bit but I believe THIS is what it sounds like (and yes, this was a real arrest)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJGVljVmJ1E

RobDBama

May 17, 2016
Alabama
Majority of the WS-295MP sirens were mainly on Fire trucks and Ambulances. City Ambulance and Haynes Ambulance in Montgomery, Alabama used these sirens on their units

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I agree. It looks like a transition model between the current Whelen sirens and the earlier versions.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.