Vintage Catalogs: Signal Stat

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I think that I might be able to get a 2001 Signal Stat catalogue from a local auto parts store. They never use it and I tried having them check the prices for several beacons and none showed up in the system, so the catalogue's most likely obsolete. I'll head over there and ask them if they're willing to part with it. They told me that they didn't even know that they had it and that nobody that they can think of has ever ordered anything from it.

I've attached a download link to a pdf copy of the Signal Stat 2015 LED lighting catalogue. Besides that, the closest that I have is a 2016 Truck-Lite catalogue that has some Signal Stat lighting in it.

In my search, I also found the US Patents for a bunch of different beacons and lighting. Just looked at the one for the Dashlaser. Very interesting stuff.

2015 Signal Stat LED Lighting Catalogue

Last edited:
Reactions: LRGJr72

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Member "894" and I once had a brief dialogue about his literature collection. Apparently it's very considerable. I even offered to scan his material for him so that we could share it in this forum. But he expressed concern with temporarily giving up items that are irreplaceable. And I understand that. He doesn't know me at all.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I thought that I'd add the link to the patents. If you look through the patent references, you'll find a goldmine of patent information and schematics for lighting from various companies. I've only clicked through a few links, but I've seen: Code 3 PSE, Fed Sig, Dietz and a few others. It's really interesting stuff because you see the beacons broken down into extremely detailed diagrams with equally detailed descriptions of every little detail about them.

US Patents for Vehicle Emergency Lighting

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I thought that I'd add the link to the patents.
US Patents for Vehicle Emergency Lighting

I just burned about two hours nosing through those drawings and schematics. Beautiful stuff. And it just dawned on me that while Whelen and Mars created lightbar profiles by simply elongating their existing beacons (model 99/5200 and the Skybolt).. Federal Signal elected to go with rectangles for the TwinSonic. Despite their initial drawings that hinted at rounded ends (maybe an elongated model 14).

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I just burned about two hours nosing through those drawings and schematics. Beautiful stuff. And it just dawned on me that while Whelen and Mars created lightbar profiles by simply elongating their existing beacons (model 99/5200 and the Skybolt).. Federal Signal elected to go with rectangles for the TwinSonic. Despite their initial drawings that hinted at rounded ends (maybe an elongated model 14).

I've been trying to limit how much time I've been spending looking through these ;) ! It's easy to get lost in those documents just on account of how interesting they are and how much you learn from them. It's mind-blowing when you see the amount of research and development put into the design process for a simple beacon. We take far too much for granted. I can't even imagine how much work is put into the design process for LED lighting. Definitely some electrical engineering and other things far beyond my grasp involved in that!

As for the catalogues, I see 894's point as well. While eLB has members that are for the most part on-the-level and honest, you just have to be really careful with irreplaceable items. Too many idiots out there that'd damage, lose or steal them either for profit or out of sheer dishonesty. Regarding the 2001 Signal Stat catalogue, if I get it, I could send it to you, as you definitely seem to appreciate documents. Failing that, I'll have the university's Document Imaging department scan as much of it as possible. They do large volume scanning. It likely won't be cheap, but well worth it.

Now that I think of it, those patents should probably have at least some some Signal Stat lighting in it.

EDITED FOR RELEVANCE TO THREAD

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.