Vintage Fire extinguisher Collectors

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
Any collectors out there, I have a pure brass one and still full of contents.

made by the Fyr-Fyter Company out of Dayton Ohio.

This model requires to pump the plunger to operate.

I can include pictures if any one is interested, looking

for trades and checking to see if there is any collectors

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
I have a Pyrene carbon tet unit from 1920, still full. My favorite is my 1912 Chief Croker 2 1/2 gallon soda-acid extinguisher made out of riveted copper & brass and restored to like-new condition.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
I have a few setn around. 1 Fyrfighter "The Captain" Copper and Brass w/rivets. 1 Fyrfightrer Super model.1 Presto "C B model and 1 that is the size of a Beer Can with a crazy pull tab. All are empty except the last one. Just found these in old buildings or they were given to me by friends. Oh ya got a few others in the shed gotta clean up they are copper and brass also.

towmedic

May 31, 2010
Montague, Prince Edward
I have ten or twelve of them including a "Captain", a couple of fire grenades, a copper soda acid, an ALF pressurized powder extinguisher, a small automotive CO2 extinguisher/tire inflator, and a man drawn extinguisher cart with steel wheels. I enjoy collecting them as well other fire/ems memorabilia.

fyrboy

May 24, 2010
NC
I have the label for the red one in the center, made by W.D. Allen, just as the one on the right. The Ansul is charged & sealed. The Pyrene has no hose or connection. They're all for sale.

ai458.photobucket.com_albums_qq304_fyrboy1_Extinguishers_IMG_7297.jpg

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
yes i have a mini Fyr Fyter one, its silver in color and has the wall mount. I also have one of those brass ones, empty, and a few wall hanging "bulb" type surpression systems they used a long time ago in homes. The spring loaded ones that when activated broke th bulb holding the liguid and it spilt everywere. Oh and i have 3 or 4 sprinkler heads on my desk :D

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Be VERY CAREFUL with the carbon tetrachloride extinguishers!

Especially the glass bulbs! The released gas is POISONOUS to

humans! This is why they were no longer used.

As for the glass bulbs "that are spring loaded". The wire is

actually a soft lead compund that acts as a frangible link that

melts at a predeterminied temp and lets the globe fall and break

and disperse the liquid that turns into a gas that displaces the oxygen

to the fire and also interferes with the chemical/thermal reaction

of fires.

The poisonous gas produced is Phosgene which is corrosive as

well as poisonous to humans.

These extinguishers were no longer produced after about 1955

and were mandated for removal from service by NFPA and insurance

companies by no later than 1970 for the above reasons.

If your extinguishers are full, you should take them to a fire station

and have them properly discharge and empty them outside. Once

empty, they will make wonderful collectibles. The glass globes can

be pierced and emptied by a good glass guy and you can remount

the empty globe (or fill it with inert water and plug it) in the wire

for display as well.

Carbon tet is considered a HazMAt and should be treated accordingly.

Also carbon tet was once used as a cleaning solution and sold in

hardware stores!

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
EngCo4 said:
Be VERY CAREFUL with the carbon tetrachloride extinguishers!
Especially the glass bulbs! The released gas is POISONOUS to

humans! This is why they were no longer used.

As for the glass bulbs "that are spring loaded". The wire is

actually a soft lead compund that acts as a frangible link that

melts at a predeterminied temp and lets the globe fall and break

and disperse the liquid that turns into a gas that displaces the oxygen

to the fire and also interferes with the chemical/thermal reaction

of fires.

The poisonous gas produced is Phosgene which is corrosive as

well as poisonous to humans.

These extinguishers were no longer produced after about 1955

and were mandated for removal from service by NFPA and insurance

companies by no later than 1970 for the above reasons.

If your extinguishers are full, you should take them to a fire station

and have them properly discharge and empty them outside. Once

empty, they will make wonderful collectibles. The glass globes can

be pierced and emptied by a good glass guy and you can remount

the empty globe (or fill it with inert water and plug it) in the wire

for display as well.

Carbon tet is considered a HazMAt and should be treated accordingly.

Also carbon tet was once used as a cleaning solution and sold in

hardware stores!

Damn Paul you are reading my mind! Thats the chemical i was trying to remember the name of! Anyways, the fyr fyter is full of Carbon Tet and it does leak if you turn it upsidedown or some way, i wasnt sure, when it started leaking I put it the hell back on the rack and went to clean off. XD

Thanks for the informative reply as always sir :)

KP

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I have three old copper & brass extinguishers...is there any chance they're carbon tetrachloride types? How do I determine if they are or aren't?

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
If any doubt about the contents, take them to a FD or

a fire extinguisher service company and they can ID

the contents and recommend or perform a safe and

proper discharge of the contents.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Tristar said:
I have three old copper & brass extinguishers...is there any chance they're carbon tetrachloride types? How do I determine if they are or aren't?

At one time all extinguishers were made from copper/brass. The ones containing carbon tet were usually no more than 1 quart in size, with a T handle on top for pumping. They were made by Pyrene, FyrFyter and General. There were other units containing CBM (chlorobromomethane) that had a screw valve on top, and other units containing soda/acid which were 1 1/4 or 2 1/2 gallons in size and had a hose on the side.

Although carbon tet is listed as hazardous, bear in mind it was used by millions of people for decades as a dry cleaning fluid and solvent, besides being used in millions of military and civilian fire extinguishers. Just like mercury is hazardous, but most everyone has played with it in their hands as a kid when a thermometer broke at home. The main reason carbon tet was outlawed was because the combustion products contained phosgene which was an old chemical warfare agant, as mentioned above, and there were many newer, more effective fire extinguishing agents developed. However, combustion products today contain more lethal stuff than that due to the burning of plastics, glues and foams which typically occurs in structure fires, and people don't usually stand around breathing that stuff in today, either. As more and more lawyers metastasized in the US during the 1960's and 1970's looking for people to sue, product liability became a big issue and anything remotely hazardous disappeared. Your McDonalds's cup carries a written warning telling you it's hazardous because the contents are hot, so McDonald's can no longer be sued by consumers for serving hot coffee.

If you attempt to dispose of it legally through an EPA-certified hazmat contractor, expect to pay big $$$. However, if you generate no more than 100 kg of hazardous waste in a month, you are a "conditionally-exempt small quantity generator" (CESQG) under the Federal hazardous waste law (the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, or RCRA) and are not required to use an EPA-licensed hazmat disposal contractor. If it was me, I'd just make sure it wasn't sitting on any priceless wooden furniture in your basement, and ignore it.

Here is the MSDS:

http://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/90116.htm

While we're at it here's the MSDS for water, so you can assess your toxic exposure and consider suing the water company:

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927321

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
EngCo4 said:
If any doubt about the contents, take them to a FD or
a fire extinguisher service company and they can ID

the contents and recommend or perform a safe and

proper discharge of the contents.

If you take the powder to your local FD they are gonna look at you like you have a penis growing on your forehead !!!

Not to mention they might think you'r bring them a WMD ... I'm just saying from a Vollie standpoint.

Not everyone is not a Haz-Mat Tech

Take it to a Fire Extinguisher Service.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
ark_firefighter said:
If you take the powder to your local FD they are gonna look at you like you have a penis growing on your forehead !!!

Not to mention they might think you'r bring them a WMD ... I'm just saying from a Vollie standpoint.

Not everyone is not a Haz-Mat Tech

Take it to a Fire Extinguisher Service.

The KEY WORD Paul said in his post was RECOMMEND. The FD will RECOMMEND were to take it to be discharged. He did not say they would discharge them. Obviously not everyone is a hazmat tech but hazmats are in better hands at the fd than they are in the typical homeowner's hands. I dont think any fd will look at you weird for bringing them hazmats. Plus, with a hellofalot of years in hazmat and a little less than a million years in the fire service Paul knows what he is talking about. :)

KP

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Volunteer FD (various positions including Chief Officer) since 1966-Still a Life Member

Paid Firefighter/Driver-Operator/HazMat Tech/EMT-B/Retired as Station Captain after 30 years in 2001

Fire Service Instructor in several disciplines since 1975

STILL "Doin' it!"

STILL learning new things!

STILL loving it! :D

NPS;

I always got a kick out of doing up MSDS sheets for WATER when I was working! You ARE correct

about all of the "lawyers 'metastasizing..." :D And FFs now are SUPPOSED to have AT LEAST the

Hazardous Materials Awareness course in their training at the basic level. So they SHOULD be able

to make a RECOMMENDATION to the owner of the HazMat as to how/where to safely dispose of it.

Carbon tet BTW is a LIQUID, not a powder. Yes, it was a dry-cleaning solvent and as I said it used to

be readily available OTC at hardware stores! (But so was Chloridane!) But now it is no longer common

in homes and people may not realize it's potential for harm. In the quantities present even in small

extinguishers, it could prove harmful if handled wrong. Especially those glass globes. They seem to

turn up a lot in flea markets and even firematic shows! Everything is just fine as long as the stuff stays

in the container. But if it is let loose, THEN the problems could begin. Best just to dispose of it properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.