Vintage Whelen Lightbar

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Is it strobe or halogen? That will help determine the model number.

80H and 90H = Halogen

8000 = Strobe

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Now, if the rotators are shaped like little cheerleader megaphones, you have an 80H.

If they have a hole in them (dual sided) and the reflector rotates around a stationary bulb, you have a 90H.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
It reminds me of two International trucks my local FD used to have. One was a pumper and the other was a Snorkel unit, and in the late 1970s or early 1980s the pumper got a Sireno Condor light bar and the Snorkel got two Dominion Auto flat top four beam rotary beacons.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Yeah, the warning lights are wrong for that year apparatus. The siren is ok, but the primary light should be something like a Federal Beacon Ray (any version would do), Rear warning lights on apparatus of that era were pretty basic, usually something like the Federal BR-2 or LL-4.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Those Whelen lightbars were introduced in the late 70s....way too new for that truck. Like the others said, put a beacon on it if you want it to be era correct, especially for a restoration!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
So... trade the whelen bat and beacons for some old federal stuff....... I can help. lol

VFVFCo.68

Jun 15, 2010
Valley Forge, PA
Yes, I was at my firehouse and it is indeed a Whelen 90H. (All i had to do was look at the label :lol: ) But we didn't install those lights, while it was with my company (Valley Forge VFC) we had a single beacon on it, we sold it to another fire Co. (Tresckow FD) and they were the ones who installed the 90H, when they placed it out of service, they offered to give it back to us, and since it was our oldest fire engine we accepted it back. I dont think that the 90H looks good on it either. And that siren has always been there. It is a 1958 International.

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Got any more pictures? That pumper has a lot of potential.

If I was a member there, I'd start to clean and polish a few areas like the chrome on the front bumper and maybe the bumper as well. Steel wool or even 800 grit wet sanding paper will take the rust off that chrome but it will leave the pits.

VFVFCo.68

Jun 15, 2010
Valley Forge, PA
I can try and get more ppl, there is alot more important things going on in my FD right now...like new gear..trying to get a new station, but if we do establish a team...i will definitely be a part of it...and will try to get more pics.

May 27, 2010
Beeville, TX
That's a very cool truck, an old Beacon Ray would look right at home up on top. Our Dept. had a

late 50's or early 60's International 190 that had a candycane red/blue/red/blue Aerodynic on it. The truck got sold earlier this year(missed going to the auction, friggin truck sold for $400 and it still ran and pumped im still kicking myself) but I asked for the bar when the truck got stripped and I got it anyway.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.