Vision SignalMaster and Pod set-up.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
So I am working on a Vision bar and thought about updating my the SignalMaster. And I can get it off of Federal Signal actually quite cheaper than I thought it would cost. Just a few questions about it;

1) Is it basically plug and play like it is now with the halogen? I don't see where there is a different SignalMaster board for 'LED' so I assume it would be but just wanted to make sure.

2) I have an option of Clear lens/Amber LED or Amber lens/Amber LED. What's really the difference?

Also, since I have the SignalMaster, what would you all think about the pod set-up? Going from left to right (Drivers to Passenger) I was thinking of R/R/W/R/W/R/R. Does anyone have a setup they currently like? In the white pods, I was thinking about putting amber filters in but I wasn't sure about the light output due to the double plastic deal. I just don't know how I feel about white shining to the back of a set-up, even though there is nothing stating I can't, I just think it's nice for the approaching driver.

Inputs and opinions are welcome.

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
You cannot use the SM LED's in place of the Halogen ones on a vision (depending on how old it is)

The older ones send a small amount of voltage thru each bulb so the "brain" knows the bulbs are not bad.

I tried it already and had it when the bar was on the led's were on very dim.

I forget when the changeover was, but Federal may be able to tell you if you need a circuit board upgrade.

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

cory y

May 21, 2010
Ive always liked the Visions with the Pods set up in a RCRCRCR set up

that way the TD's and alleys are spread out really far

and heres a little known tidbit for vision people:

normally you only have 2 takedown pods, HOWEVER, if you set the center pod to be the steadyburn, and enable the steady burn pod to ONLY activate with the normal TD function, TADA you have 3 takedowns!

CT-Lighting

May 24, 2010
Bell Co., TX
I have my vision set up:

R - C/A - R/B - R - R/B - C/A - R

Like Cory said, having TKD/alleys in pod's 2/4 will have wide lite area. Also, when looking from the front the clear will not wash out your center pod.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
Cool.. I think I might move the two clear back one. I think I will need some help when programing it.. LOL.. Seems to be a bit temperamental. SO when I am ready for that I guess that will be next next post. :) Thanks again.

kd7joe

Nov 6, 2011
Fort Mohave, AZ
I just replaced my halogen vision signalmaster with the led signalmaster and while the bar has power, even with signalmaster off the leds are dimly lit. Im trying to figure out how to eliminate the small voltage... Any ideas?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
EL1998P71 said:
You cannot use the SM LED's in place of the Halogen ones on a vision (depending on how old it is)
The older ones send a small amount of voltage thru each bulb so the "brain" knows the bulbs are not bad.

I tried it already and had it when the bar was on the led's were on very dim.

I forget when the changeover was, but Federal may be able to tell you if you need a circuit board upgrade.

kd7joe said:
I just replaced my halogen vision signalmaster with the led signalmaster and while the bar has power, even with signalmaster off the leds are dimly lit. Im trying to figure out how to eliminate the small voltage... Any ideas?

Your question was already answered above. It won't work.

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
Mine is set up (driver-passenger) B-C-B-B-B-C-B with signal master in back

I set it up this way because one of the patterns was pods 13457, leaving clears out of the mix, and thateaves me legal in PA, now durin the day I do have the clears rotating to add some more warning power and. I one cares, but white at night is unneccasry and blinding for others IMHO

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.