Volunteer firefighter arrested for arson in his own protection district.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
This story was also on our local TV news. The newscast indicated that he had only been a member of the department for 2 months. There are comments on some websites indicating he's done this in the past. Makes you wonder if anyone did a background check.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
In Dallas, there is a tiny square mile town called Cockrell Hill. They have a paid PD, and a VFD. The town contracts with Dallas Fire and Rescue for Ambulance service. Back in the late 90's/early 2000's, the majority of the VFD members were a bunch of early 20's power trippers. They would respond to city of Dallas freeway wrecks 3 miles away, in their POV's calling it mutual aid. During that time, the Chief was doing drugs and stealing money from the town. His son (a VFF) was lighting dumpsters and and vacant houses on fire so they would get a call out. On the Dallas side,during the weekends, we started getting a high number of phantom major accident calls on the nearby highways, smoke in the area calls on the border, and heavy rescue wreck calls on nearby surface streets. DFD started to notice that these Cockrell Hill VFF's were always showing up lights and siren to the area. One of the Lt's from the station closest to the CHVFD mentioned it to me one night. One of my traffic Officers and I started posting up in the area the following weekend. Sure enough, the calls would come out almost hourly. And these POV's would come screaming up the the call location. We back tracked the 911 reports, and it was always pay phones. The next night, we had communications send the traffic Officer all addresses that 911 calls of this nature were originating from. We had deployment (plain clothes) run to the address the 911 calls came from, while we went to the calls. We never caught any of them leaving the call originating area, but it was taking 1-2 minutes from the call being taken, to being dispatched. We think the VFFs got wise to me and my traffic Officer showing up at all of these calls, even the ones from the FD side, two nights in a row, because the calls stopped two hours into Saturday night. We were never able to prove they were making the false calls. Because all of the calls were primary FD call outs, Dallas FD went and told CHVFD to stop running their POV's to Dallas calls. The patrol division was then instructed to stop any unmarked vehicle running lights and sirens, traveling away from Cockrell Hill city limits. Once the Chief and his son were both locked up on felonies, all that foolishness stopped.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.