VW Jetta-4th Gen

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
Has anyone done an install on a VW Jetta? I was recently given this car by a family friend and I'm planning on lighting it up. I need some ideas. I can run red/white/amber with a siren. I don't want to "whack it out" but I need to be seen, so far I'm thinking...

Front:

R/W Dual Avenger on the dash

HAWs powered off a Whelen CS240

Rear:

Pair of red Lin6s mounted to the headliner.

Siren-Unitrol Touchmaster mounted somewhere and a Whelen SA315p mounted in the grille.

Looks like this:

awww.readingfordummies.com_blog_archives_US_Photos_2006_01_24_VW_20Jetta_20Wagon_20106_20001.jpg

smsales

May 21, 2010
West Michigan
i have personaly never seen any VW with a lighting install. I have never seen he inside of one either. So to tell you the truth, i wouldnt know were to start! But as of lighting, you have made good choices. Whenever you get done with it, please post, i would love to see what came about with it. GOOD LUCK! :?

SireLite

May 21, 2010
Merseyland, England, GB
If your going to be fitting a lightbar at some point. If your vehicle has the roof rails like in the picture. I would buy a pair of roof rack bars and mount the lightbar directly onto them. It saves having to drill loads of holes as you won't be able to get a strap kit for one.

As with all Volkswagen's. There are plenty of grommets to run wires into the cab from the engine bay. Normally can be found behind the carpet firewall on the passenger side.

I would of mounted either a pair of lin6's in the grill or a pair of sound off ghosts.

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
Thanks for the replies. I'm planning on keeping everything interior right now. I'm considering getting an 10-79 intersection bracket and mounting some lights on that. I'll have a better idea once I actually have the car which should be this Thursday.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Is there even any console room for that UTM? I'd maybe go with 2-3 switches and a UC siren.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Have you ever popped the hood open on one of those buggers? I had to do some (non emergency related) work on one a few years ago.. woo.. what a nightmare. covers over covers, gotta pull like 50,000 screws, than more covers.. than.. OH LOOK!! Engine!! where were you hiding? Oh ya, under all those f*#&$(@ plastic covers.

They also are really touchy with the electrical systems, IIRC, so make sure you keep it very independent from the factory as much as possible. I don't know if I would even tap the IGN sense wire, or the horn relay.

Ya know what you should do, and it would be funny as heck? Put two led "throw" beacons on the roof, and a siren with euro tones.. :twisted:

chfdbigbad

May 22, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
unlisted said:
Ya know what you should do, and it would be funny as heck? Put two led "throw" beacons on the roof, and a siren with euro tones.. :twisted:

you have to put 4 small beacons on it, one on each corner of the roof.

on a more serious note i would highly recommend side lighting. a slimlighter would look good in the side back window. that in conjunction with the intersection bracket would look great.

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
Well I picked the Jetta up today and there is absolutely NO room for my Touchmaster. I'm going to need to pick up a remote mount siren without a doubt. I briefly checked for a place to mount the siren speaker and as of right now it looks like it's going behind the front fascia under the license plate. I have a 12v source in the trunk that I plan on utilizing for rear warning.

charlie82

May 21, 2010
PA / USA
smsales said:
i have personaly never seen any VW with a lighting install. I have never seen he inside of one either. So to tell you the truth, i wouldnt know were to start! But as of lighting, you have made good choices. Whenever you get done with it, please post, i would love to see what came about with it. GOOD LUCK! :?

http://www.freeyabb.com/elightbars/view ... elightbars

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
A local Asst. Chief has a Jetta. He has TIR3's Squeezed in the grille, I think he actually bent the grille a little to get them to fit. I do not know how he actually has them mounted.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
Boss429 said:
A local Asst. Chief has a Jetta. He has TIR3's Squeezed in the grille, I think he actually bent the grille a little to get them to fit. I do not know how he actually has them mounted.

Sounds like a job for some Soundoff Ghosts...

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
If you don't have factory fog lights, you can remove the chrome fog blanks and stick something in there. If you're a non smoker you can pull the ashtray in front of the gearshift out, width and height is still constrained but depth is pretty good. VW run spare terminals off the back of the cabin fuse box, can't remember if they ran anything under the hood. I've run a code 3 420 halogen bar, 35w worklight and twin 25amp power sockets off the factory power box in a Transporter, same setup as the Jetta. Don't forget for rear warning you can run TLF on the rear fog lights, can't recall if US market Jettas had them connectd. DON'T run TLF on the stock brakelights/tail lights, the CAN-BUS will have a heartattack, ask me how I know!

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
I'm going to keep the lighting minimal, so no grille lights. I'm pretty sure I can find a place to mount an SS2000 and the speaker will be a tight fit but it will work. At this point I'm going considering possibly running two Dual R/C Whelen Talons/Tomar 200s/FedSig Vipers, one on either side of the RVM and sticking a quad Dominator or something similar in the back. After checking out the headlights/taillights and not wanting to screw with the CAN-BUS, I'm going to avoid HAWs and a HLF. Side warning is still an issue but I can do without it for now. Oh how I wish they made MirrorBeams for the Jetta. :D

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
If the car doesn't have front fogs then HAW, or HLF is a no brainer. And I'm pretty sure the rear foglight positions are there just not used so TLF using them is also easy.

Zach C.

May 22, 2010
Southeast, USA
Doc said:
Any update on pics/video? I'm working on my 2001 Jetta now and would love to see where and how you ran the wires and switches.

+ 1

I am tring to figure out how to install everything in my 01 jetta vr6. I would love to use HLF and TLF.

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
It's great to see other members with Jettas, it's nice to have other people to bounce ideas off of. Unfortunately, I haven't began my install yet because I'm spending most of my summer working in Ethiopia and Haiti and won't need them until after I'm back. I'll most likely complete the install some time in mid August. I was thinking about a HLF too but I'm not sure which one to use. I also really want to put HAWs in the rear and need to figure that out.

Doc

May 23, 2010
Jacksonville,NC
I put a red pair of the new sound-off led HAW’s in the red reflector next to the reverse lights. They work great. However, I do not recommend them in the headlight housing. If thinking about doing anything in the headlight housing I would recommend strobes due the way the Jetta reflectors are or a HLF (which only chief officers can run here). Currently, I am working on making a switch panel to set inside the ashtray housing. I will post pictures once I’m done. But, to date, it has been a PITA! Had to remove the entire bumper cover to remove the headlights, what kind of stuff is that?!? Be safe in your travels.

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
On Tuesday, June 29th I was hit head on by an out of control vehicle while stopped at an intersection. The driver hit the gas instead of the break and swerved in†o my lane and accelerated straight into my car. Unfortunately the Jetta is totaled. I am now looking for a new vehicle. I'm most likely going to get a new Ford Explorer, Chevy Tahoe, a slightly used Ranger Rover or BMW. Keep an eye out for that install thread.

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
Grotonems5 said:
You are OK by the sound of it, I hope?
I'm okay for the most part. I have a severly broken left arm though, it's a comminuted fracture of both my ulna and my radius as well as damage to my carpal tunnel. I also have a sore back and some pretty extensive bruising. I had surgery on Thursday to correct the damage, they used a stainless steel plate and nine screws to put me back together.

Doc

May 23, 2010
Jacksonville,NC
Sorry to hear you got hurt man. Glad the injuries weren't more severe though, could've been much much worse. I hope you feel better soon.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
dynastar666 said:
I'm going to keep the lighting minimal, so no grille lights. I'm pretty sure I can find a place to mount an SS2000 and the speaker will be a tight fit but it will work. At this point I'm going considering possibly running two Dual R/C Whelen Talons/Tomar 200s/FedSig Vipers, one on either side of the RVM and sticking a quad Dominator or something similar in the back. After checking out the headlights/taillights and not wanting to screw with the CAN-BUS, I'm going to avoid HAWs and a HLF. Side warning is still an issue but I can do without it for now. Oh how I wish they made MirrorBeams for the Jetta. :D

If all you want is too be seen 2 avengers/vipers in the front and a dominator in the back is perfect.

For side warning try putting a dual avenger/viper in the read side windows

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
chono said:
If all you want is too be seen 2 avengers/vipers in the front and a dominator in the back is perfect.

For side warning try putting a dual avenger/viper in the read side windows
Unfortunately the Jetta was totaled on Tuesday. :(

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Glad to hear your ok. I would go with Tomar 200s they are brighter and have no flashback . I can get you some for a good price. I hope you get a new ride soon .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.