Was This Ever A Twinsonic Factory Option?

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
I have seen two different versions of the Twinsonic Lightbar where the center speaker cover was removed and replaced with what appears to be one or two CP100 speakers. The two pictures were from 1970’s movies Speedtrap and The Gauntlet. I was just curious if this was something Federal Signal offered as an option or if it was a retrofit done by a department after purchasing a stock Twinsonic?

Attachments

• IMG_0424.png
    IMG_0424.png
    630.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0425.png
    IMG_0425.png
    576.5 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Stampeed Valkyrie
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I know that Las Vegas Metro used the SD bar with the speaker cover removed, back in the late 70s early 80s.

Definately not a factory Federal option.. problem would be the dome does not seal on the inner side like the SD dome does. If anything department modification.

Bonus like points for a post featuring Red/Amber bars.

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
Thanks for the information. Your comment leads to another question. Was it pretty rare to have departments use a red / amber combination on their lights like the photos above?

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
Here is a photo I found of the Phoenix PD car from the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.png
    IMG_0432.png
    662 KB · Views: 42
Red/Amber was a thing in AZ, but don’t know if it is still used. I recall seeing R/A Mod11 Twin Beacon Rays back in the day b/c red domes absorbe 85% of candlepower, amber 15%.

As @Stampeed Valkyrie said, Code 3 bars offered the speaker housing delete but had fasteners to secure the inbound side of the domes. Dietz/Yankee/NAPA 911 bars also offered the option as well. In my old stomping grounds of Louisville, KY, a Q was festooned in position:

Louisville FD battalion chief car (district 2)
IMG_5829.jpeg

Jefferson Co. PD (absorbed into Metro Lou PD)
IMG_0016.png

Yankee catalogue
IMG_0378.jpeg

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Here is a photo I found of the Phoenix PD car from the rear.
Looks like they used chrome metal straps to utilize the bolt holes in the speaker tray and hold the domes in place. Looks well done!

Reactions: stansdds
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Thanks for the information. Your comment leads to another question. Was it pretty rare to have departments use a red / amber combination on their lights like the photos above?
I know Arizona DPS used Red/Amber. I believe somewhere in CA did as well, I remember seeing R/A CTS bars. But that could also be AZ, both NV and AZ used CA spec bars pretty frequently.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Check out "Used Cars" for some Red / Amber Twins ... says filmed in Mesa, AZ

South Dakota had Red and Amber c. 1978. Lightbars were Red on Driver side, Amber on Passenger side.
I specifically remember seeing those popular Pontiac police cars with the Red/Amber AeroDynics somewhere in reach of Wall Drug, or maybe the Corn Palace.

Their highway maintenance vehicles had split dome beacons; Amber to the front, and Red to the rear.

I have seen this configuration on a movie based during that era in South Dakota featuring a collector car from the area ... movies wouldn't care about that sort of thing

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I have seen two different versions of the Twinsonic Lightbar where the center speaker cover was removed and replaced with what appears to be one or two CP100 speakers. The two pictures were from 1970’s movies Speedtrap and The Gauntlet. I was just curious if this was something Federal Signal offered as an option or if it was a retrofit done by a department after purchasing a stock Twinsonic?
I've seen pictures of Phoenix Mack CF fire engines with two CP speakers mounted to the front bumper. The dual speakers must have been a thing with both the PD and FD in Phoenix. Dual speakers will double the power output of an electronic siren.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Factory code 3 SD option:

SD open.JPG

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
PSE Code 3's SD domes were designed for use on both mini-bar and full size bars, so both ends of the dome were identical. Federal's Twinsonic was not designed as such, so the Federal domes have one end that is sloped and has a retention lip and the other end is flat, the retention being the speaker housing covering the edge of the dome. To put a mechanical siren or large speaker into a Twinsonic, straps would have to be used on the inboard edges of the domes.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
PSE Code 3's SD domes were designed for use on both mini-bar and full size bars, so both ends of the dome were identical. Federal's Twinsonic was not designed as such, so the Federal domes have one end that is sloped and has a retention lip and the other end is flat, the retention being the speaker housing covering the edge of the dome. To put a mechanical siren or large speaker into a Twinsonic, straps would have to be used on the inboard edges of the domes.
Good point. In addition to straps wouldn't you need to seal it too? An SD each side has a motor, a twinsonic the chain runs under the speaker and is exposed through the slats in the speaker base if you remove the grill.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Good point. In addition to straps wouldn't you need to seal it too? An SD each side has a motor, a twinsonic the chain runs under the speaker and is exposed through the slats in the speaker base if you remove the grill
The speaker tray does cover the chain, but there are also drain slots that run along the rear edge of the tray. I have no idea if they were covered or not, but I would presume they were in order to minimize dust intrusion.

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
Good point. In addition to straps wouldn't you need to seal it too? An SD each side has a motor, a twinsonic the chain runs under the speaker and is exposed through the slats in the speaker base if you remove the grill.
The center of the early SD bars (witch were offered with open center) is also not really completely sealed, so that moisture and dirt could get under the rotators

The design of the TwinSonic did a pretty good job of minimizing dirt and moisture intrusion. There were rubber gaskets around the domes (inside on the frame on 3 sides and a flat gasket on the speaker tray) and caulking was used to seal seams where panels and trays met. There are corresponding vents in the frame below the speaker tray. The speaker cover was integral to sealing the inner portion of the domes (I would use an awl to align screw holes and some pressure was required.)

(As an aside, whenever I was installing a single speaker in a mod 12, I always installed it on the passenger side. That way, if a second speaker was installed later, you didn’t worry about sheering off those damn little bolts!)

IMG_6669.jpeg IMG_6670.jpeg

Looks like they used chrome metal straps to utilize the bolt holes in the speaker tray and hold the domes in place. Looks well done!
I didn't notice that till you mentioned it. Since you got the speaker cover whether you used it or not, my guess is they cut the edges off and used them to secure the dome….scrapped the rest. Worth it if you have already invested in CP-100s.

NIACO

Nov 19, 2020
Illinois
Red/Amber was a thing in AZ, but don’t know if it is still used. I recall seeing R/A Mod11 Twin Beacon Rays back in the day b/c red domes absorbe 85% of candlepower, amber 15%.

As @Stampeed Valkyrie said, Code 3 bars offered the speaker housing delete but had fasteners to secure the inbound side of the domes. Dietz/Yankee/NAPA 911 bars also offered the option as well. In my old stomping grounds of Louisville, KY, a Q was festooned in position:

View attachment 246074

View attachment 246076

Yankee catalogue
View attachment 246075

View attachment 246074

View attachment 246076

Yankee catalogue
View attachment 246075
What do you mean b/c red domes absorb 85% of candlepower, amber 15%? b/c you mean blue clear and red domes? If so, how could a clear dome absorb any candlepower from the bulb if it's clear? Just wondering.

Last edited:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The center of the early SD bars (witch were offered with open center) is also not really completely sealed, so that moisture and dirt could get under the rotators
True, I just know they made selling it that way a factory option (aimed a mechanical sirens) more than the twinsonic did. In theory each side of an SD is independent. That doesn't mean it is a good seal though.

What do you mean b/c red domes absorb 85% of candlepower, amber 15%? b/c you mean blue clear and red domes? If so, how could a clear dome absorb any candlepower from the bulb if it's clear? Just wondering.
b/c = shorthand for “because”, sorry. Regarding plastic domes (only), red domes absorbed the most, blue somewhere about 60% (but I’ve slept a few times since the last time I checked) and amber 15%. That’s why I used 100w bulbs whenever I could and made sure the proper gauged wire was used (fuses too). Clear domes did not absorb a significant amount of cp.

Regarding clear domes and colored bulbs, that could be a whole n’other thread!

Last edited:
If you look at the speaker tray of the mod 12, the bolts to secure the speakers were tapped into the extruded rail (front & rear) of the frame. The middle portion of that channel is where the chain ran. It was liberally lubricated with white grease and well sealed against the weather.
IMG_6676.jpeg

Last edited:

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
Definately not a factory Federal option.
. . .except that it was. The speaker grille was an option. The basic TwinSonic had a couple of metal straps that secured the inner ends of the lenses. This allowed other accessories to be mounted where the speaker would be, or the use of bell-shaped speakers.

It looked kind of stupid, because the tray still included the plastic isolator that the speaker sat on, making it look unfinished.

. . .except that it was. The speaker grille was an option. The basic TwinSonic had a couple of metal straps that secured the inner ends of the lenses. This allowed other accessories to be mounted where the speaker would be, or the use of bell-shaped speakers.

It looked kind of stupid, because the tray still included the plastic isolator that the speaker sat on, making it look unfinished.
Interesting point…FS did accommodate special requests for sizable markets (NYPD 175-H and AeroTwin, Honolulu 174-H, and of course CTS). And the CP series speakers were far more profitable than the TS speakers. I would love to see a FS bulletin.

Plastic speaker trays were used in later production runs. Initially the trays were painted black metal and the aluminum frame was painted black as well (See my photo above).

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If you look at the speaker tray of the mod 12, the bolts to secure the speakers were tapped into the extruded rail (front & rear) of the frame. The middle portion of that channel is where the chain ran. It was liberally lubricated with white grease and well sealed against the weather.
View attachment 246392
Good point, I haven't had a lot of twin sonics apart, especially recently. As pointed out below, this may have actually even been a factory option. I know it was with the SD, But I will defer to twin sonic experts on this one.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Red vs blue again? The Virginia State Police used red until 1980, then went blue, this year they announced that, through extensive study, red is more visible during the day, so they are going with a mix of red and blue.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
Red vs blue again? The Virginia State Police used red until 1980, then went blue, this year they announced that, through extensive study, red is more visible during the day, so they are going with a mix of red and blue.
Well, it's more IDENTIFIABLE in daylight than blue is, and less likely to be mistaken for a reflection of sunlight.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmoore77

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.