Watch what you say!

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
No doubt that was dumb.

But for the Chief to call the USSS? Really? He couldnt have handled the matter internally? What about the folks that "liked" her posting? Are they being investigated?

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Bigassfireman said:
Stupid. How could that officer even think that would be ok to post.

I don't blame the chief at all for what he did. I'd have done the same thing. CYA man, also shows that any potential threat will NEVER be taken lightly.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
As much as I hate to say, I think the chief did the right thing. Obviously this won't be enough for criminal charges by the Secret Service, but by letting them investigate it, there is no issue of impartiality. I'm not a fan of departments firing officers for things they post on the internet (while identifying themselves as officers of a particular department), there is precedent for firing officers for conduct unbecoming for stupid things like this. Like it or not, these types of things are happening across the country. Either keep your opinions to yourself, or don't ID yourself as an officer when you do something stupid like that.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
I would like to see the original post and the context it was written in rather than taking some news stations "word".

From what the media said I don't see anything criminal about it.

My biggest concern is why did she resign then get rehired?

I never put too much faith in what the news tells me.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Just pretend everything you post or is being said directly to a reporter. If you wouldn't say it to a reporter, you shouldn't post it. It seems like overkill to turn the investigation over, but you want an impartial 3rd party to investigate and/or clear the officer. You don't make public jokes like that. Public servants are never totally removed from our titles. For better or for worse that means we can't or post things like this publicly. If you chose this line of work you will be held to higher often unrealistic standards both at work and off duty. If that isn't ok with you, GTFO.

edit- I just had someone email me to point out that other professions get fired for facebook posts etc too... I agree... but there are certain professions that the news will tack onto your shame story every time. You rarely see "Local plumber arrested" or "Area tool and die man accused of threats"..... but replace those jobs with Police Officer, Firefighter, EMT, Teacher, Judge, Physician.... and you have a story. These are all positions that come with a higher expectation of socially responsible behavior.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.