Waxahachie looses a Tower

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
That was an Ennis Truck on MA. I dont understand why there was so much water, I'm no FF, and I know better than to spray a chemical fire with water. It was a good think they saw the fire coming and got down and out in time.

fire1

Jun 5, 2011
Michigan
HILO said:
That was an Ennis Truck on MA. I dont understand why there was so much water, I'm no FF, and I know better than to spray a chemical fire with water. It was a good think they saw the fire coming and got down and out in time.

Take it they did not have a protocol on this. We have chem plants here & all we can use is foam.

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
It's an extraordinary situation. I chock this up to 'doing the best we could' in regards to training and equipment, and of course the situation.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Not a fire fighter. Heard of a product called Cold Fire. Would this be a prospective application of the product?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I dont see how they had enough time to move the truck, they came down, got out of the bucket, and teh flames were washing out towards them. The out riggers were still down, it takes a moment to get those up. It was parked in the wrong place thats for sure, along with water on chemicals from the other side. They are lucky they got away.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Very expensive lesson learned, but at least it appears nobody was injured. Someone sure is going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
Those ffs must have balls of steel, because my stomach sank just watching those chemicals wash that fire towards the truck... they saw it and hung around... I would have been running for all I was worth!! Hope no one was hurt... truck is replaceable...

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
So the question may be. Why does a chemical plant have a sprinkler system and not a foam system? It appears most of the water came out of the building and appears to be coming from the sprinkler system.

Of course I am a Fire Chief, but a place like that would scare the @## out of me if it was in my first due.

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
With all of the explosions and not knowing exactly what each chemical was, i would not have been that close to begin with.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
Wow.

Dear Chief,

No one was more surprised than I....

JediTalen

Jun 19, 2011
Bummertown, WA
Hoff said:
Not a fire fighter. Heard of a product called Cold Fire. Would this be a prospective application of the product?

I believe that Coldfire could be very effective here. The racing community uses Coldfire for fuel fires and it is very effective. NHRA actually mandates Coldfire for onboard systems in Nitromethane cars. I aslo works on exotic metal fires, it's good stuff.

pondfly

May 21, 2010
IL
I fought and worked in these type of areas most of my career and a lot of planners at the time went with regular sprinklers at the time. Product changes at unknown times and what may have been good at the time of the initial construction may not be good now. Foam systems are also limited to the amount of product stored in the tank, how old and last time it was tested. When the foam runs out (which is surprisingly quick) it just flows water and washes the other product away.

A lot of these places also have runoff containment somewhere on the property if the room is available.

One of the Gasoline storage and distribution plant has sub-surface injection built back in the 70's, deluge system in the truck filling area and automatic fixed monitors with foam attached around the property. The main deluge system had a 500 gal tank if I remember correctly, auto monitors had wither totes or 55gal drums attached and the sub surface had nothing in them. We had to have the foam that was stored on site delivered to the injection stations so we could feed from there. Our nearest large quantity of foam (not from an airport) was 35 miles away where they had 15,000gal available to move in 15min, but still took time to get here, so we were on our own until then.

Another town that was built later with the same operation like ours was not constructed with subsurface, auto monitors but had a deluge system on the filling racks.

About 6 years ago we had a chemical plant go up like this and we did the same thing by drowning the living daylights with water to contain the fire until we could get enough foam and an ARFF vehicle to the place. We had to reposition rigs several times due to changes in the wind and the flow of water. I do remember wading through waist deep chemical impregnated water trying to keep the storm drains open to facilitate the drainage to the creek behind the plant.

While we were doing the suppression and haz-mat there, we had the surrounding division team and the county wastewater commission take care of the runoff by stringing booms and such as the incident progressed.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
sucks,one hell of a way for the driver to learn a lesson about vehicle placement

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Since our department doesnt have a ladder, and I have never operated one, I would have to ask some questions. Can the outriggers be raised while the ladder is going down? I would assume that there is a safety to prevent this, but in that situation I would try and move it with the ladder partially raised. Im sure nobody anticipated this happening, and it is easy to say what could be done. That is a really bad situation, but atleast they got down in time.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
theroofable said:
Since our department doesnt have a ladder, and I have never operated one, I would have to ask some questions. Can the outriggers be raised while the ladder is going down? I would assume that there is a safety to prevent this, but in that situation I would try and move it with the ladder partially raised. Im sure nobody anticipated this happening, and it is easy to say what could be done. That is a really bad situation, but atleast they got down in time.

Depends on the year make and model of the truck. I think most newer trucks have safety shutoffs that prevent you from raising riggers while the ladder is still up, driving with ladder up, etc. Just for sake of discussion even if you could get the riggers raised a little, and get the ladder down part way you still run the risk of tipping the truck over, snagging an overhead power wire, injuring personnel, etc etc. It also looked like the truck had several supply lines hooked to it, while it does not take much to undo those, it would still have been one more thing to have done to move the truck.

I am glad the guys had the good sense to get out of the way and say to hell with the truck. That is how a lot of good people get hurt, worrying more about the equipment than themselves.

As for truck placement, not the best, but that is one of those shit sandwich situations where a lot of decisions are made on the spur of the moment and it is easy for everyone else that wasnt there to arm chair quarter back it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.