Weird new light from Whelen

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Whelen Engineering - Lightheads - Lightheads, Directional Strobe, Super-LED®, LED, Halogen & Combination

What on earth? Is this more or less a SoundOff Intersector with a spot light attached?

edit: I think this is actually a genuine New Innovative Thing. 180-degree warning plus a spot light plus a flood light... If it's as small as I think it is, (edit: It must be, judging by the screws) it seems like a great light for unmarked vehicles to have added side warning, plus an alley light. Looks like a lot of thought went into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
codemaster said:
maybe its just me but this is:confused:o the second thing whelen has jacked from sound off

Except they didn't jack it. They one-upped the hell out of it.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Now THAT is neat! Kinda afraid to see what pricetag they'll put on it, very cool design though

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
I heard about this light awhile back. I couldn't picture how they'd incorporate the different functions but it looks cool. It looks like a linz6 bent into a V shape and has the footprint of a M2.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
nerdly_dood said:
Except they didn't jack it. They one-upped the hell out of it.

Yippee for them. It isn't difficult to one-up existing ideas. Let them have an original idea once in a while, it won't kill them.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
It was inevitable that Whelen would have to release a product to compete with the SOS Intersector concept. I like what they have done and I like the intersector design as well. They are different enough designs to each have their own advantages.

Much like the SOS Ghost, the Intersector was a new sheet of paper design that filled a need and created a customer demand.

Several manufacturers/distributors were seeing those specific SOS products named in bid specs.

Oddly enough, the Whelen design is similar to a sketch I shared with one of their folks last year...in as much as the way the protruding lens's LED banks come together in a "V". My suggestion had been to take the "V" concept, such as it has existed for years in the endcaps of their lightbars, and apply it to a lighhead for under-mirror use. I have no idea, nor do I claim, that "my idea" went anywhere or was used...just that I had a similar idea. And frankly, I think that idea is obvious anyway.

Interesting light, and it's really great to see manufacturers breaking new ground in design and concept of lighting products. LEDs have really changed the way things were designed. I'm glad to see smaller, more efficient designs. I also like the way products are becoming a bit more specialized.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
"Several manufacturers/distributors were seeing those specific SOS products named in bid specs."

It's funny that you said that. I work for a company that is fiercely loyal to whelen. I was floored when the new medics came in with intersectors, but the reason I got was, "Well, whelen doesn't make anything like it." Because of these I'm certain that I'll never see another intersector on a new medic.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Does it come with water already included or does that come later?

Lol jk

Dont like it too bulky

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Station 3 said:
Does it come with water already included or does that come later?

Lol jk

Dont like it too bulky

You know better than to ask such a question when you damn well know the answer, yes yes it does..... Hahaha had to

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Solvarex said:
Perfect, this will be just the thing for the sides of my toolbox! I just hope they fit.

If it's a pick-up truck tookbox, I hope they don't shine in your sideview mirrors.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
badge22 said:
If it's a pick-up truck tookbox, I hope they don't shine in your sideview mirrors.
Hey I hadn't thought of that. The truck is typically used for blocking so I could always shut them down if en route I guess. The combination alley light is what really sold me, the LR11 in the Liberty is decent but not much of a scene light.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
I'm curious if it's close enough in size to fit into the Chevy Caprice's side air vents (where both Code 3 and Whelen have lights that are designed to fit). Seems to be a natural place to fit the lighthead...

Here's the slick sheet.

Download the file

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
kitn1mcc said:
not a bad vid i still prefer stewart

He didn't know what a pedestal mount was and he mentioned putting them in a back window, totally defeating the purpose of this light.

This little unit looks like it will have a decent future assuming installers can come up with creative ways to mount them. It seems very specialized but I have faith in the ELB install gurus! One thing I'd like to see is have the "puddle light" as an option in order to lower cost. They might make good grille lights/auxiliary takedowns but the perimeter lighting wouldn't be that useful in that application.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
I know the video is pretty bad but the story behind it is I took the lights at the end of a meeting to show to staff and secretly and quickly threw the camera to someone and said "film"! No time to prep and actually got caught but promised not to show it till they were officially released which we complied. We will post a new one when they get in stock. You will notice the video stops and restarts. It was pretty funny.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
philyumpshus said:
This little unit looks like it will have a decent future assuming installers can come up with creative ways to mount them. It seems very specialized but I have faith in the ELB install gurus! One thing I'd like to see is have the "puddle light" as an option in order to lower cost. They might make good grille lights/auxiliary takedowns but the perimeter lighting wouldn't be that useful in that application.

You could put them on a push bumper on a 45 degree angle for forward and side warning visiblity, and puddle lights would help if, say, the cop has busted a cocaine dealer and they're piling his product on the hood of the car. If stuff falls off they wouldn't need to fumble with a flashlight. Or something like that. awww.skyscrapercity.com_images_smilies_nixweiss.gif

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
Wow I like the options that comes with this. I'd tie the puddle option to my dome light. Witch I think would make a nice ground light.

I just don't know if there worth swapping out my tri-IPX6

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
SireLite said:
I have to ask. If the lights are really that good. Why do they also have ions on the wing mirrors?

That demo vehicle, like most, showcases a number of products, some redundant. I saw that vehicle last August (a beautiful car, not many light blue with black trim Tauruses out there) and it only had the Ion mirror lights then.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Depending on how bright the white light is, this would be an *EXCELLENT* option when spec'ing a slick top.

Side warning *AND* alley lights in one small package.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny22

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.