Well my POV is Toast! Time for a new one! Install ideas!

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Well my 96 impala is on its last leg and i just cant keep spending $100 a week to fix crap that keeps breaking so my broke ass is gunna take out a loan for a 03-05 Impala LS. I'll probably take out an extra $1200 or so to do an install on it. Most equipment will be second hand, i should be able to get the console locally, not taking bids on equipment yet, as i want to have the car in hand.

Thinking

Interior lightbar? The one with the least amount of flashback, Inner edge?

Halogen par36 grille lights- Maybe tir6 pods if budget allows

HLF

2/40 watt strobe pack or 2/50 if possible

Rear

Some kind of traffic stick in amber- Thinking ELS or TAM85 tir6

OR

1 A/A talon and 2 single Amber talons

Tir 4 Pods on an LP

And a TLF or a 4 head strobe pack, which one will pull less amps? Want each strobe to be at least 20 watts for maximum punch

Two whelen 100 watt sirens

Two speakers- undecided on brand yet

Ram mount Laptop stand

Undecided on console too

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Impalas are crap. I owned a 2004, I drive a 2003 and 2004 at work. If you don't want to spend $100 a week on fixing your car, don't get one.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
My parents have hadd one since 03 and its only ever been in the shop once for mechanical problems. And my dad runs it into the ground and i just keeps going. I've already replaced over $10,000 worth of stuff on my 96 so i'm not going to keep doing it. I'll garage it and make it my weekend project and car show car. The 3.4's are strong motors, not powerful but they take a beating. I use to drive an 04 for a couple years and loved it until it was replaced by a tahoe!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Well what else is there that's a medium/large sedan that's affordable (under 10k) that gets good gas millage, and is an easy mounting platform for all my equipment?

I drive 90 miles a day so i'd like at last 25=-30 MPG, the impala's do pretty good, around 26-30

Marquis? Crappy gas millage 23 MPG highway

Crown vic- I'll look like a whacker, i don't wanna stick out

Malibu- Too small

Charger- Too expensive, plus no console for civilian models- 26 MPG highway, so acceptable

I really don't want a ford but i was thinking ford 500? Never driven one though.

cpdchief

May 22, 2010
Madison County, AL
I had a 2001 Impala. Total heap of junk. I was always a chevy man until owning that car. Now I will never own another GM product. The final straw was when the wrecker was DRAGGING the car out of my garage because it would not start, nor would it come out of park. At work right now, guys driving 2006 impalas are fighting over who gets the 1999 Crown Vic.

BTW, my mother owns a 2005 Ford 500. GREAT car. On a road trip to Florida, we got 30+ MPG.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Fast LT1 said:
Well what else is there that's a medium/large sedan that's affordable (under 10k) that gets good gas millage, and is an easy mounting platform for all my equipment?
I drive 90 miles a day so i'd like at last 25=-30 MPG, the impala's do pretty good, around 26-30

Marquis? Crappy gas millage 23 MPG highway

Crown vic- I'll look like a whacker, i don't wanna stick out

Malibu- Too small

Charger- Too expensive, plus no console for civilian models- 26 MPG highway, so acceptable

I really don't want a ford but i was thinking ford 500? Never driven one though.

If you don't wanna look like a wacker, why drive an Impala?

I say find an 04 Taurus. Always thought that body style was a clean platform for installing equipment in and still be "under the radar."

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
kadetklapp said:
If you don't wanna look like a wacker, why drive an Impala?

I say find an 04 Taurus. Always thought that body style was a clean platform for installing equipment in and still be "under the radar."

HELLLLLL NO! Taurus's are GAY! No departments use impala's around here so no one really thinks their pd cars. Every department in my county uses crown vics, charges, tahoes, and explorers.

Don't really want a Police package charger, it sticks out too much. I guess i could throw Hemi badges on it and R/T rims. I might start looking for one.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I love how the entirety of this conversation has strayed off topic!

ibby

May 28, 2010
Fast LT1 said:
I love how the entirety of this conversation has strayed off topic!

+1 Stay on topic people!

I like the charger with badges and rims idea, it fits within budget, and mounts/lighting options are easy. Also, its got balls, yet still pretty fuel efficient.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
ibby said:
+1 Stay on topic people!

I like the charger with badges and rims idea, it fits within budget, and mounts/lighting options are easy. Also, its got balls, yet still pretty fuel efficient.

I think i'm going to go this route! Avengers are too small, plus i'm not a fan of dodges, that don't have Police packages since they have a lack of mounting space in the console!

cpdchief

May 22, 2010
Madison County, AL
Icepuck72 said:
So you don't want to stick out like a whacker, yet you want an Impala....and these cars are junk, you're pouring $$$ into the current one, and now you want to get the same model/brand.

BRILLIANCE!!!

In his defense, he is putting money into a 1996 Impala. NOT the same car. Nothing even close. Those 94-96 caprice/impala's were some bad @$$ cars! And look at my post above, I am no longer a chevy fan.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Most of the vehicle specific lightbars have very little flashback. We have had a lot of luck with the Interior Pinnacle not having flashback. If you can I'd go with LED everything if electric load is a concern. You might also consider doing LAWs because the cost may be the same once you consider getting a power supply, tubes, and cables. For the rear go with a TDWL24 from 911EP in amber. They are pretty good lights and while you can still get them they aren't too harsh on the bank. For the year Impala you are considering, I'd go with the TLF just because of the design of the rear lightheads.

PM me when you are ready for some quotes on equipment if your plan moves forward.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Go with a charger. A charger is better than an impala in just about every category. And it looks a million times better

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Don't get an Impala. Fords would probably be the most cost effective road to go down. My vote is for an old cvpi, they are great work horses. Put hubcaps on it and take off the push bumper if it has one, then you won't look like a whacker.

http://k41.pbase.com/v3/30/132230/2/48088666.RED.jpg

Perfect example of a non-whacker looking cv

ibby

May 28, 2010
tom said:
Don't get an Impala. Fords would probably be the most cost effective road to go down. My vote is for an old cvpi, they are great work horses. Put hubcaps on it and take off the push bumper if it has one, then you won't look like a whacker.

http://k41.pbase.com/v3/30/132230/2/48088666.RED.jpg

Perfect example of a non-whacker looking cv

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /v3/30/132230/2/48088666.RED.jpg on this server.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Everybody is jumping in his crap about him getting an Impala but not wanting to look like a whacker. Read his posting on WHY he is looking for one. He wants a vehicle that is an easy upfit platform where vehicle specific items are readily (and inexpensively) available. Unfortunately there are really only 3 vehicles that fit that bill. The Charger, the Crown Vic and the Impala. Out of these three vehicles, the Impala is the least likely to look like like a "whacker" car, ESPECIALLY an LS civilian model which will likely have alloy wheels a wing, etc.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
If i go the crown vic route, i will get a Crown vic sport, or mod a p71 to look exactly like a sport. Throw on after market grille, take off spotlights, alloy wheels ect.. But i prefer to stay way from them all together.

And yes PC Comms you are correct i would get the model with the alloy wheels though i probably would take the spoiler off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.