Wet-sanding Aero domes

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
I recently picked up another 25RWI Wrecker model (1986). The domes where pretty bad, so I started by wet sanding them with 1000/3000. Didn't smooth the pitting out though, so I got the 3M kit and sanded the S*^# out of them. They look better now, but I'm gonna sand them by hand one more time to get the fine scratches out.

My question is for the guys with the NOS looking restored bars......do you take the domes apart and wet-sand each section individually then reassemble them?

That seems to be the only way to get them REALLY clean looking....

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I have on the one I did.

But I didn't start out with 1000 either I started with about 400 and worked my way through all the grits til I hit 5000.

And the silconed them back together. And then used Novus 1-2 to polish and buff out.

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
That's a great job there Chief! I got most of all the bad stuff sanded down with the 3M kit. Now I just need to get the finer stuff, but was thinking it would be better to tear the domes down to be a more uniform appearance.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
That's what I did.

But you need to be carefull when you do. That silicone is nasty when you pry them apart.

The metal strip I used a small screwdriver and a hammer and gently started to drive it to one end and the pulled it off.

As far as the domes themselves sand in the same direction across.

It's going to take some time nut well worth the final results.

Starting out with 1000 grit is to fine to cut the sun damage.

When I wetsand i use Dawn and you can tell you are cutting the sun damage when the suds or water turns yellow.

And be sure to use plenty of water. I like a spray bottle.

And change the dirty water often when you first start sanding.

When you change grits change the water everytime so as to not contaminate with the old stuff you've already taken off.

If you need anymore help PM me.

Also forgot to add when you put them back together don't forget the silicon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I have had horrible luck attempting to disassemble Aero Domes.

To get the metal strip off pretty easily I just seperate the endcaps, then press down on the top of the domes so that they bend outwards. This will release the metal strip pretty simply.

I think someone even made a sticky on this in the tips and tricks section.

As for separating the segments.... good luck, I love Aero's but I hate this part. Older domes seem to part easier, newer domes forget it.

I just picked up an NYPD Aerotwin from Eric, 1 dome is fixable, the other is too much effort. Gonna just get new domes. But I might hold onto the others to play around with em.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.