What are your 5 Favorite Speakers?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Going to keep this going... What are your five favorite siren speakers currently sold on the market?  

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I've gone through lots in the past 15 years... but I always do my best to use a fedsig bp100. Tones sound better and I swear it's louder compared to other speakers on the market.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Oh, the thread title and the restrictions inside the thread are very different.  I was going to say:

1. John F. Kennedy

2. Marcus Tullius Cicero

3. ...

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
lol so everyone only likes one?   (with exception of Jazzy)

top five list failure

Reactions: sheazle

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I'd agree with the Typhoon mentioned above as #1.  I'm also partial to CPI speakers.  The triangular Sho-Me 30.0200 speaker would be about #1,568,963 on the list - had two of 'em on different cruiser and am NOT impressed at all.....

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Gotta ask what makes the typhoon so good, and would it put a bp100 to shame? May be time for me to upgrade.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
It had pretty nice range... not really as much spread as much as it had range... solidly built in an all aluminum housing. 

It didn't take off because people opted for the cheaper triton.  There are still some people that prefer the storm and are buying used ones now for more than they were brand new.

Never seen a bp100... federal signal is pretty much dead in florida. 

I like the triton, the whelen SA315, Star Cyclone, Code 3 C3100

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
TS100, SA315, SA314. Only three since that's all I'm familiar with.

Those Sho-Me slims are positively atrocious. I had two that you could stand in front of running a full 200 watts and not need to cover your ears.

Reactions: PJD642

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
1. Fed Sig CP100 (hands down)

2. Fed Sig AS124

3. Any speaker with a big cone.

4. Feniex Triton

5. Whelen SA315P

The old adage "bigger is better" is SO TRUE when it comes to siren speaker cones. Just think of the big cones used to project a person's voice at cheer rallies before amplifiers were made...... a person could simply talk and be heard across the gym. It's the same principle... the longer and larger the cone, the better it will project sound. Period.

Think about it.... the sirens on fire trucks and ambulances in the old days were only 58 or 100 watts.... yet they were LOUD. Why? Speakers. Speakers could be mounted outside on the bumpers with no obstructions (still my preferred method and they way my patrol car is), and had large cones. Current manufacturing has overcome some of the shortcomings of having a reduced bell, but nothing can fully make up for smaller cones. Due simply to room restrictions, I run dual Tritons behind the honeycomb area on my '15 4Runner and they do fine... not spectacular, but acceptable (also running a Touchmaster Delta on one and a Powercall on the other).

You just cannot make up for cone (i.e. projection) loss. If ever I put a grille/brush guard on my 4Runner (which I do see happening in the future), I will go back to "long cone" speakers on the outside of the grille.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have done some very informal testing, and have compared the AS124, Whelen SA315P, the Feniex Triton, and the Feniex Typhoon..... all on the same siren (Touchmaster Delta), and all at a distance of about 175 yards..... the AS124 was the loudest, then the Triton/Whelen (some argue these and the #2/#3 placing), and the Typhoon came in last; with sound loudness between each speaker being considerable. This was the consistent result of numerous tests involving numerous different people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
And yet ALL siren manufacturers claim 122dB...

It is also important to note that the dB is a logarithmic measurement, i.e. not linear. A 3dB increase in SPL is a doubling of the power.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
When the AS124 came on the market, I talked with the senior FedSig engineer who is probably about the most knowledgeable guy on the planet as far as acoustic warning goes.  He chaired the SAE committee on emergency warning, etc.  He's also not a "company line" guy - he tells it like it is.

He said that in their testing in their anechoic chamber, the AS124 was the loudest siren speaker that they've ever tested, and that includes competitor speakers. 

We've had excellent success with the AS124.  We have hundreds in the field and I can't think of the last time we've had one back failed. 

The ES100C has been really good for us as well, though it is supposedly 1-2dB quieter than the AS124.  Human beings really can't differentiate a volume difference of less than 3dB.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.