What do I start my collection with ?

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
So I've been thinking about starting a lightbar collection but I'm trying to stay name brand something like the Code 3 XL Series...they had mini's up to 96" and everything in between...but my heart has always be with Federal Signal's Vectors / Visions but they are so expensive to ship...

Suggestions ?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Code 3's can sometimes be found for a lot less than Whelen or Federal lightbars. Beware, UPS has become notorious for breaking domes on lightbars and even beacons, so shipping can be a problem.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I would get an XL w/ sealed beams and stingers. Should be available for arounf $100-$200.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Mars Auroura Borealis (SP?)!

Seriously though XLs are great. I would get an MX as they're cheap as well. You also need to get the staple of every collection: a twinsonic!

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
my first bar was an all light streethawk that I got on ebay for 65.00 shipped, worked good just needed 3 new bulbs.

everyone im sure started their collection with something or another

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
as a start pick up anything thats cheep, you can tinker with it and if you want sell it and get something you develop a taste for. I have a little bit of everything in my 30 ish bar collection

FedSigFan

May 21, 2010
DFW
MX7000 is a great one to start with. Solid bar. Hundreds of ways to configure it, parts are cheap and widely available. Heck they're practically giving these bars away on eBay nowadays!

Good call.... for tinkering an MX is a great project bar.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
My first lightbar was a 48" Code 3 Force 4 XL w/ clear domes. Paid $175. Not too bad for a starter :) . I'm going to post my collection (for a third time :lol: ) sometime soon after I get pictures and videos prepped.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If you are ever near Toledo stop by....I will give you a aerodynic or xl9000 project bar for free.

chfdbigbad

May 22, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
my first bar was a code 3 420 mini "butt" bar ($40 on flea bay).I think my first full size bars were a twinsonic and aerodynic paid about $150 for both plus a pa 20

FedSigFan

May 21, 2010
DFW
chfdbigbad said:
my first bar was a code 3 420 mini "butt" bar ($40 on flea bay).I think my first full size bars were a twinsonic and aerodynic paid about $150 for both plus a pa 20

Yeah it does look like a butt... too funny :D !

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
Firefighter_2000 and I always called the "butt" bars ... lol... well we called them titty bars...super glue a couple of baby bottle nipples on a friends 420 beacon and you'll be laughing for months to come.

We never did it but should have...good ole johnny storm watcher

Maranos

May 21, 2010
Pacific Northwest, USA
An old grungy MX7000 from Las Vegas Metro PD was my first bar. I love the MX7000 because it's still pretty popular, and very cheap to get your hands on a used one.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
chfdbigbad said:

I call them "peanut" bars. To me, they have that shape. The "butt" comparison is funny :lol: . IMO, the only good version of this bar is when they first came out with LP6000 rotators installed (the original aluminum ones). They looked better than the ones with the free-forms.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.