What do you think of this video

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York

WTF was going on here?

Get some water on that fire! Why is the first due engine setting up a water supply and not pulling a line inside, or even outside???

Honestly, why even respond RLS if this is what you are going to do on scene? Why respond at all?

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Fail Fail Fail. I dont see anything right being done. What a shame. They could have had a quick knockdown if someone knew what they were doing.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
they were waiting for C H A O S

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
Wow, as a small town podunk volunteer firefighter, that was embarrassing to watch, especially knowing that it was most likely a paid, professional dept. Even our newest members grasp the concept that you work with the water you have first and let the 2nd due set up your water supply. I didn't see a TON of manpower, but certainly enough to run two handlines and at LEAST get some protection on those exposures. A quick, decisive, interior attack could have saved most of that structure, IMO, as well. What really jumped into my head watching that video was some admin type trying to do more with less, cut down overtime, etc. First due engine trying to do more than they should, blitzfires set up, automatic defensive ops, etc.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but jeez, even my wife said "Wow, why are they dicking around with all that instead of spraying water?"

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I can move faster than that on my one good leg than they can on 2.

Looks like nobdy on that truck wanted to assume command and give out orders other than get a water supply hooked up.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
That was really sad to see this major failure from a fire department. As emt322636 noted get some water on it and the exposures and you could even hear one of the spectators say that. I have never seen the first in engine not put water on the fire from the tanks supply. Yes, let the second in engine supply water from he hydrant as that is their job role. First in does what it can to put out the fire with what they have. Plus they seem to not care walking around and no one seems to be in command as noted. The video is not one continuous shot, but it took WAY to long to get water on that fire. The line was sitting there uncharged for too long when there is water available. Since they took to long to get water on it, the fire spread to the front and pretty much made it a total loss. Faster action could have saved that house.

Unless I missed it, or it was not on film did anyone if the FF ask the public if everyone was out of the structure? That should be done so they know if they have to go right away or not. I did not hear anything in the video of someone talking to them, but the people sure knew they were not doing it right. "Your doing it wrong" from Backdraft comes to mind here.

There is also the photographer that seems to be freely wandering around inside the scene and almost trips over the line when it is charged. If he is a official FF photographer he should be wearing a reflective vest with ID on it. That is a god way to get hurt tripling over those lines and why a correct command officer does not want the public inside the scene. The police also seem to not do a good job keeping the public back as well, they should not be waling between the engine and police cars as the police car should be the fire line.

Over all in my opinion it was really bad situation of control and proper process to put out a fire.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Based on the street name on the video title and the name of the dept on the door of the engine, it looks like its Adrian, Michigan, a small town southwest of Detroit.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
twodogs603 said:
Based on the street name on the video title and the name of the dept on the door of the engine, it looks like its Adrian, Michigan, a small town southwest of Detroit.

One of the worst I have ever seen.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
What, over 5 minutes before the first line was charged? Oh, the recording was paused, also.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
I am by no means defending this company, or town, because I live no where even close to Michigan, but maybe this house was a target box. What I am wondering is, if this house had no floors or if it had holes on the floor? Was the inside being renovated? Maybe a problem house or a meth house. The lack of urgency is still a major concern. I only saw 2 engines and a "rescue". No ladder or 3rd due engine?

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
ff168577 said:
I am by no means defending this company, or town, because I live no where even close to Michigan, but maybe this house was a target box. What I am wondering is, if this house had no floors or if it had holes on the floor? Was the inside being renovated? Maybe a problem house or a meth house. The lack of urgency is still a major concern. I only saw 2 engines and a "rescue". No ladder or 3rd due engine?

Even if that was the case, protect the exposures.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
twodogs603 said:
Even if that was the case, protect the exposures.

Sometimes the best way to protect the exposure is to get water on the fire building and reduce that radiant heat. Pull one blitzfire, get big water on it, even if you choose to NOT make an aggressive interior attack. Pull a master stream, 2.5", SOMETHING to get water on the fire. I know it depends on manpower, but while one guy stretches a supply line (really honestly a 1 man job with a hydrant as close as they had) the other is stretching an attack line.

Failburger.jpg

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
I am no longer a firefighter but was a volly and then career in Florida. Wow. Probably could have made a good stop on the fire if they would have actually deployed a line. 2nd due could have hit the hydrant while 1st due conducted a fast attack. Not to beat the dead horse but damn.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Reading the article, it said that there where people inside that all got out, so I would guess the door is not locked. As I said before, I did not see anyone in the video ask if everyone was out, so I would not expect them to even try to see if the door was not locked.

There is also using the tool wrong for what it is designed to do using it alone ore assisted with the flat end of the axe to pry open the jam. The Halligan Bar is an effective tool when used correctly, but in that picture I see fail again from how I was trained to use a long time ago were I do not care to say the years.

Found this on YT on how it is done.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
mjMIff said:
I hope he is aiming for the realtor lockbox!

Looks like he is, but that's going to take a lot of whacking, mess up the door in the process, and may render the lock inoperable anyway. Better and faster to take out one pane of glass.

And, I'm just a trainee, but shouldn't the line ideally be charged before entry?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Zapp Brannigan said:
Ok, before I say what I am seeing wrong/would do different, tell me YOUR thoughts!!!

EP-130519525.jpg

MtnMan said:
Better and faster to take out one pane of glass.

And, I'm just a trainee, but shouldn't the line ideally be charged before entry?

**DING DING DING** The "trainee" nailed it!! Go for the pane of glass, reach in and unlock, or at least give it a try first!!

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
MtnMan said:
Looks like he is, but that's going to take a lot of whacking, mess up the door in the process, and may render the lock inoperable anyway. Better and faster to take out one pane of glass.

Trying to ruin the fun here? Look at the scuff marks around that box, hammer on the table, he's been hitting it for minutes!

It is part of the circus! Hit it! Hit it! ;)

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
id move that lil blue table out of the way as well....

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Zapp Brannigan said:
Ok, before I say what I am seeing wrong/would do different, tell me YOUR thoughts!!!

View attachment 64572

OK...........I was a full time LEO but was a VFD Member back in the '80's.......

Looks like smoke at the top of the door.................He's going to hit it..........that line isn't charged.......... maybe a FLASH ???

Just saying...

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Not to burst everyone's bubble, but for me and my department it's our SOG for first due to catch their own hydrant unless there are extenuating circumstances. Granted, we don't take half an hour to put water on fire...

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
foxtrot5 said:
Not to burst everyone's bubble, but for me and my department it's our SOG for first due to catch their own hydrant unless there are extenuating circumstances. Granted, we don't take half an hour to put water on fire...

Mine was too, but it took one person about a minute to do, while the others were getting water flowing...

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Maybe they just left their fourth working fire of the day and this is as fast as they can move at this point. If you've never worked a fire with only 12 or 13 guys, and left that scene to go to another worker, I suppose you won't understand. Maybe they didn't have a chance to refill the tank, or as previously suggested, it's their rule to hook up. (Sometimes, rules have to broken. A good officer/IC would be able to make that decision) Maybe they didn't know how far out the next in was and didn't want to run out of water. A lot of maybes, which is kinda my point. I hate these videos because they get me pissed off over how shitty of a job it appears is being done. But, we all know how things can look differently on video, especially if your the one being recorded. However, the apparent lack of command and length of time to get water on it is not acceptable at all. Short of a pump failure, I can't imagine what took so long.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.