What grill lights to buy?

NJ_EMT

Jan 26, 2013
New Jersey
Need some idea's on what grill lights to buy. I had Whelen LIN3's behind my grill, but my grill blocked out alot of the light output. I like the Whelen ION, but thier kind of expensive. Looking for something that's going to be blinding head on, don't really need the off axis. Was looking at Feniex Apollo  F-6, Code3 TRX6, Fed Sign Impaxx and LINZ6's. Any suggestions or experiences dealing with any of these lights ?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Need some idea's on what grill lights to buy. I had Whelen LIN3's behind my grill, but my grill blocked out alot of the light output. I like the Whelen ION, but thier kind of expensive. Looking for something that's going to be blinding head on, don't really need the off axis. Was looking at Feniex Apollo F-6, Code3 TRX6, Fed Sign Impaxx and LINZ6's. Any suggestions or experiences dealing with any of these lights ?
Apollo & Linz6 are both linear lightheads (like the lin3), so they won't be optimal behind a grill.

Private brands to consider are the AWL SMT6 and the SNM E6. You can also go with the Sirennet economy 6 Lighthead (sirennet rebrands whelen, code 3, SOS lights under their name & sells them at a more economical price point)

Feniex T6 & Brooking/Axixtech MS6 are good products from larger companies.

FedSig Impaxx6 are good but they are more pricey than the lin3 & impaxx3 price range (& if you're gonna upgrade from the lin3, there's not really a point IMO in investing in an upgrade that is less than a 6 diode Lighthead).

Code 3 is overpriced.

RIG755

May 24, 2011
South Louisiana
Apollo & Linz6 are both linear lightheads (like the lin3), so they won't be optimal behind a grill...

Please enlighten me regarding your statement about the Feniex Apollo lightheads not being "optimal". Not meaning to downplay your opinion or testimony, but I've owned both the Feniex Pegasus & Apollo model lightbars, and have seen their TIR-type lightheads, along with their linear lightheads.

Again, this is NOT a post to start an attack nor debate. I'm curious as to what you (and possibly other members here) may see regarding pros & cons versus both. Sorry, I don't "search" this forum much, but different forums post different info. Thanks (in advance) for taking the time & having the patience in providing/posting more info.

[emoji6]

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
If you want something with more of a punch head on and no need for off axis, I would go with

The Feniex T6. You can get an idea off videos on here or youtube, but the videos do not do them justice. And they are about half the cost of an Ion.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Please enlighten me regarding your statement about the Feniex Apollo lightheads not being "optimal". Not meaning to downplay your opinion or testimony, but I've owned both the Feniex Pegasus & Apollo model lightbars, and have seen their TIR-type lightheads, along with their linear lightheads.

Again, this is NOT a post to start an attack nor debate. I'm curious as to what you (and possibly other members here) may see regarding pros & cons versus both. Sorry, I don't "search" this forum much, but different forums post different info. Thanks (in advance) for taking the time & having the patience in providing/posting more info.

[emoji6]
The TIR style optics of the Cobra focus most of the light straight out whereas the linear optics of a Apollo spread the light wider for better off axis output. When lights are mounted behind a grill they are only visible from straight on. Because of this it makes more sense to use lights that focus most of the light where it will be visible. Linear style light heads spread the light where it will be wasted when behind a grill. 

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I have 8 Feniex Cobra T-6s in my grill...  I know that sounds like a lot, but they are acting as 4 lights...  lol

RIG755

May 24, 2011
South Louisiana
NJ_EMT... I would think whichever you chose would depend on the type of grille you have as well (billet, mesh, wide-gapped, etc).

Acala91... Thx! I understand what you mean now.

I've had TIR style light heads on my (former) SUV. They were "ok" enough for their use (along w/ Pegasus ILB & linear dash light)

Nissan Armada (3 yrs ago):

http://youtu.be/ai6vogDjtNY

I'm now (SLOWLY) getting around to installing Apollo hardware on my latest vehicle. Only planning to use ths two F-6 lightheads, and will install my HLF (after my move into new home). No, other lighting installed just yet.

Tundra CrewMax:

http://youtu.be/ZdPTDZQgHuk

Last edited by a moderator:

RIG755

May 24, 2011
South Louisiana
I prefer cobra over apollo
I just read your post from another thread, just after midnight today. Interesting you mentioned a Cobra 100. I did consider the Cobra lineup before getting what I have now.

I think the Chief at my station uses two dual-head Cobra units on his Expedition.

------------------------

FEVER said:
This is a case of people not understanding the use of the Apollo optic. Same LED in the apollo that is in the cobra. Dispersing the light 180 degrees compared to 35 to even 70 degrees is going to kill straight on punch. There are dealers out there that have said the Apollo is as bright straight on as the cobra and it is simply not true. <br /><br />The benefit to these lights is they will have 180 degree warning without having a hideous V carved into them or sticking out something god awful. <br /><br />You MUST realize what you are getting. I still say even with these larger lightheads if all you care about is straight on warning, go with a dual T6 platform. <br /><br />That said, the light sticks have better straight on warning due to the spacers reflecting the light back forward. Those are truly more impressive straight on than the F6 and why I look forward to the Apollo 100 coming out in compared to the F6. The F-6 have a place in the lineup. They meet a need. It is up to the dealers and installers to inform their clients of the right decision and not just simply try to push the more expensive product. <br /><br /><br />I look forward to these because they will fill a need. I see these being mostly side based units and to me you do not need nearly the throw on a side facing light as you need to the front and the rear. I could make the argument that the side needs to be more focused on off axis output, which these will probably lead the industry in.<br/>
-----------------------

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
NJ_EMT... I would think whichever you chose would depend on the type of grille you have as well (billet, mesh, wide-gapped, etc).

Acala91... Thx! I understand what you mean now.

I've had TIR style light heads on my (former) SUV. They were "ok" enough for their use (along w/ Pegasus ILB & linear dash light)

Nissan Armada (3 yrs ago):

http://youtu.be/ai6vogDjtNY

I'm now (SLOWLY) getting around to installing Apollo hardware on my latest vehicle. Only planning to use ths two F-6 lightheads, and will install my HLF (after my move into new home). No, other lighting installed just yet.

Tundra CrewMax:

The Apollos don't look bad there but if that was my truck it would have a pair of Whelen M7s mounted to the exterior of the grill.

Reactions: Eric1249 and RIG755

RIG755

May 24, 2011
South Louisiana
The Apollos don't look bad there but if that was my truck it would have a pair of Whelen M7s mounted to the exterior of the grill.

I hear ya...  Didn't want (personally) the lightheads on the exterior. 

With full-time career, I'm usually only able to respond after dark.  So, rarely am I ever maneuvering through heavy traffic (as expected during the daylight hours).  I understand the reason for maximizing the opportunity for the greatest degree of visibility, but (so far, in my area) this has been effective.  Drivers have been better in recent years, cooperating by allowing passage where possible.  Loud (piercer tone) siren tends to help!  LOL

slash9dotnet

Feb 2, 2012
Conneaut, Ohio

Tundra CrewMax:

I'm trying to think of the correct way to word my question...... How is this bar configured? Are these just red/white modules on the dual color standard Apollo bar?  I think this video may have sold me on the Apollo interior bar!  Pure sex.

RIG755

May 24, 2011
South Louisiana
I'm trying to think of the correct way to word my question...... How is this bar configured? Are these just red/white modules on the dual color standard Apollo bar? I think this video may have sold me on the Apollo interior bar! Pure sex.
Dual color, red/white, split visor w/ universal brackets. The pattern in that video (if memory serves) is "attack" mode. It's now set to "cluster".

Mode 1 (Red/White):

http://youtu.be/30sJ4EjTKcs

Mode 2 (Red ONLY)

http://youtu.be/ojBXmkVH2qk

RIG755

May 24, 2011
South Louisiana
Looks good. If it were mine I would try to put the rear bar up higher and set it to a pattern where it is all right then all left for a larger footprint.
If there were something to support the weight of the bar in my truck, it would've been mounted high up. I have no faith that my headliner would support the weight. [emoji6]

slash9dotnet

Feb 2, 2012
Conneaut, Ohio
Dual color, red/white, split visor w/ universal brackets. The pattern in that video (if memory serves) is "attack" mode. It's now set to "cluster".

Mode 1 (Red/White):

http://youtu.be/30sJ4EjTKcs

Mode 2 (Red ONLY)

http://youtu.be/ojBXmkVH2qk
Thanks for the info! This truck should be featured by some companies that sell Feniex because I think you may have sold me on the Apollo lightheads. :)

Reactions: RIG755

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.