What is your favorite Star/SVP Product?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Okay so I was in a debate with a couple of local installers who I consider close friends. We hit on each of the manufacturers and talked about what we liked most. We tried to come up with one product from each manufacturer that we liked the best. We couldn't agree. 

So it got me wondering, what is YOUR favorite product from Star/SVP?   Why? I don't want to hear from dealers.  End users only. This is ONLY for Star/SVP Products. (I plan to start a thread for each of the manufacturers we discussed. I figured doing it by manufacturer would keep the Free Stupidy company vs Whacker Company debates out of the mix, which always lead to mud slinging. 

Additionally, this is not a thread for gripes and complaints. We have enough threads of people griping and complaining. Keep your zen and stay positive! 

I'd like to keep this for products actively being sold. I might even kick this around for various manufacturers in the Vintage Warning Section as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Well I like both the rotor and strobe version of the hotshot/vortex and the pancake light.

Had all 3 and still have an old style hotshot II in blue.

Reactions: SBFD-E-9

AllStrobedUp

Jun 1, 2013
Altamonte Springs, Flor
I have a custom ULB-48 In my windshield and it is absolutely amazing. It has T/D function instead of T/A function, A/G/C.

I am a dealer but an end user as well.

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
My vote would be for the dlx3/4/6 led light heads.

They are compact in size, and bright head on. The mounting bezel is unique in that it clips on top of the light and hides the screws used to mount it. It makes for a clean look.

It also has a dedicated half flash wire. If your light is red and blue, you can flash both and create attention getting white light, or you can use a second wire to flash red and blue separately on a mode 2 switch. It can also steady burn half the light, but that has to be programmed ahead of time.

Speaking of programming, the light has a nice programming system that is not based on the normal "touch x colored wire to 12v to advance to next option". Instead it uses timed programming with visual feedback to indicate and skip ahead flashing and programming modes. It's a nice "premium touch" that doesn't require you to go through all the patterns of the light.

The only downside to this light would be the steady burn option. Most led lights when used with an external flasher, shine at 100% intensity and the gradually dim to 50% or less intensity to avoid head buildup. Because of the small size of this light, Star SVP has limited steady burn to 50% intensity. Considering how bright the light is when not using steady burn, and how advanced the rest of the light's features are, this is a big disappointment. Hopefully Star SVP can change this in the future to use the more traditional steady burn technique.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Sounds to me the steady burn feature was limited to 50% intensity to avoid heat build and damaging the leds.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
DLX6. Bright light in a small footprint

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I'm gonna think outside the box here and say the original mini phantom.  Maybe not the brightest but I've seen some on cars my entire career and they havn't had one issue.  

Reactions: foxtrot5

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I'm gonna think outside the box here and say the original mini phantom.  Maybe not the brightest but I've seen some on cars my entire career and they havn't had one issue.  
Very true, and IIRC it was at one time one of the top "best bang for your buck" lights you could buy.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I don't this thing is still getting strong for as old as it is.

The thing I didn't like about the pancake light was if the counter was out of whack it wobbled or didn't work at all.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I'll let you know when I get my DLXTs in.
Followup: Not impressed with the DLXTs.

VersaStar DLX3s remain my favorite. Output equivalent to a Whelen TIR3 in a much slimmer profile. I'm sure I'd like the DLX4/6s as well, but they're pricey.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
I have the Teardrop and it works well, didnt read the fine print that it flashes 160 FPM instead of the oldskool 90FPM, but has performed VERY well. next will be the hotshot with mirror assembly for the dash.  :thumbsup:

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
The strobe version of the Impulse (2000 ???). I had one, bright as hell. 4 strobes, front and rear flashers and alleys.

The halogen version = junk.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Ok... so I've been fairly impressed with the SVP Lineum Interior bar. 

The versatility in programming is AMAZING. It surpasses everything but maybe SOS Nforce with blueprint and Whelen WeCan. (More Manufacturers need to learn to make their products versatile in my opinion). 

The cons of the product to me are the universal mounts.  I absolutely hate anything that has to be attached to the windshield. I also don't like the fact that the bar looks like it has a dead spot in it from the front because of the canted lighthead in the middle of the bar.

I look forward to some lineum surface mounts.  

I've gotten a pallet load of Lasers in and I'm happy with the construction. Again versatility is pretty awesome given that it is not computer based. 

Reactions: MEVS06

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
Have fun with the Lasers...I've had trouble with every one I've sold. We have a VERY high return rate on light heads that are burning out. The only ones that seem to hold up are the starburst heads. Mtech and lineum heads need work. Star is good about taking care of them, though. I still take a Razor versamax anyday!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Additionally, this is not a thread for gripes and complaints. We have enough threads of people griping and complaining. Keep your zen and stay positive! 

I'd like to keep this for products actively being sold. I might even kick this around for various manufacturers in the Vintage Warning Section as well. 

The ones that seem to hold up are the starburst heads.  I still take a Razor versamax anyday!
I've only sold the starburst models.  

wmreader

Aug 3, 2012
ETex
The strobe version of the Impulse (2000 ???). I had one, bright as hell. 4 strobes, front and rear flashers and alleys.

The halogen version = junk.
I've still got a bunch of those Impulse strobe modules from a bar I gutted. They are all metal (no plastic whatsoever) and quality constructed, plus the user replaceable linear tubes without junking the entire module is a bonus. I planned to use them for a rear deck project a few years back but never did. Anybody want them?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.