What kind of light is this?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
yes that is a military light, but it is incomplete it is missing the front visor assembly. It is called a Black Out light! here are some pics for reference. They allow our military to drive at night without alerting the enemy. They are still in use today, in a more modern LED version. This is the headlight, there is also a black out tailight. They are shielded and shine in a predetermined diffused beam directed at the ground. It is used to illuminate a small portion of the road, just enough so the operator can safely operate the vehicle without giving away his position. It is mounted on the fender of that WWII jeep! Hope this helps!

here they are in action:

0490107_m.jpg

5399940450_65de77a91f.jpg

blackout-headlamp.jpg

h_m38a1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
JennyCop said:
yes that is a military light, but it is incomplete it is missing the front visor assembly. It is called a Black Out light!...
Wow, JennyCop, you are on it! :) I didn't recognize that even though the same basic lamp was used on the M151 in the early days of my military career. Too many years with HMMWVs, I guess.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Reminds me of a story...I was visiting a warrant officer friend down at Camp Lejeune many years ago. His unit was doing some nightime training out in Onslow National Forest, so he invited me out for an inspection he was doing. We jump in his old Army/Marine Corps jeep, equipped with the little marker lights and afore mentioned blackout headlight. We're crawling down this logging road, he's leaning out side the jeep watching the side of the road, since all you can see is the side of the road. I'm looking out my side and can't see $#!t. I look up for a second and scream STOP!!! In front of us is the back of a logging truck, with logs, and the overhang almost took out the windshield. I never saw the logs, just a glimmer of the reflectors. So we start to back out and try to figure where we are. After 10 minutes of these he says screw this and flips on the headlights. There in front of us a HUGE black BEAR! He sorta half stands up and roars something, which translated, is "WHERETHEFUCKDIDYOUCOMEFROM", then we presume he ran off, since we were backing up at full speed, bouncing off trees and bushes.

Gee, I didn't think the Marines had a sense of humor!!

Jun 4, 2012
New England
JennyCop said:
yes that is a military light, but it is incomplete it is missing the front visor assembly. It is called a Black Out light! here are some pics for reference. They allow our military to drive at night without alerting the enemy. They are still in use today, in a more modern LED version. This is the headlight, there is also a black out tailight. They are shielded and shine in a predetermined diffused beam directed at the ground. It is used to illuminate a small portion of the road, just enough so the operator can safely operate the vehicle without giving away his position. It is mounted on the fender of that WWII jeep! Hope this helps!

Speaking of taillights, the Germans had a special taillight in World War II called a NOTEK light. Basically, it had two different colored filters plus a flap to cover one of those filters. For normal conditions, there was a red and orange filter, but for blackout conditions, there was a green filter.

1954chevy

Jun 3, 2012
usa/tn
Phillyrube said:
Reminds me of a story...I was visiting a warrant officer friend down at Camp Lejeune many years ago. His unit was doing some nightime training out in Onslow National Forest, so he invited me out for an inspection he was doing. We jump in his old Army/Marine Corps jeep, equipped with the little marker lights and afore mentioned blackout headlight. We're crawling down this logging road, he's leaning out side the jeep watching the side of the road, since all you can see is the side of the road. I'm looking out my side and can't see $#!t. I look up for a second and scream STOP!!! In front of us is the back of a logging truck, with logs, and the overhang almost took out the windshield. I never saw the logs, just a glimmer of the reflectors. So we start to back out and try to figure where we are. After 10 minutes of these he says screw this and flips on the headlights. There in front of us a HUGE black BEAR! He sorta half stands up and roars something, which translated, is "WHERETHEFUCKDIDYOUCOMEFROM", then we presume he ran off, since we were backing up at full speed, bouncing off trees and bushes.

Gee, I didn't think the Marines had a sense of humor!!

HaHaHa worth posting just to hear this.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.