What minibar to suggest?

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I have someone interested in mounting a couple LED minibars to a flatbed trailer. This trailer tilts down, so the bar mounted to it will be tilted as well. Are there any suggestions as to which bar has good vertical output and won't be totally useless when in the loading and unloading phase?

His current lights are grommet style lights mounted in the frame. When the trailer tilts, so do the lights and they are useless.

Thanks,

Tony

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
cbpdogboy said:
There are dump truck mounts that swivel when the bed is tilted. It allows the light bar to remain level while the bed tilts.

Those I am aware of. Won't look good on the trailer he has. Was seeing if he could get away with a minibar that had a decent vertical spread.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
I don't think your going to get a light bar that has great vertical spread, since that isn't what the majority look for. You might do better with getting a couple of LIN based surface mount lights and get a modified L-bracket so it'll be at the right angle when the bed is lifted. To make it even better, modify it with an led flasher so it'll only be activated when the bucket is unloading.

Last edited by a moderator:

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
The Guardian Strobe would be extremely effective for your parameters.. :yes:

image.jpg

:cool:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Honestly, you'll be pressed to find an LED bar that can be seen vertically, b/c most LED products are only designed for horizontal spread or head-on/direct spread. If he wants a minibar that can be seen from the sides & up top, strobe is the way to go. Yes, he'll likely have to replace them before he would have to replace a LED bar, but (then again) the strobe lightbars are about 1/2 the price and anything that sits on a trailer bed is likely to be damaged & require replacement several times

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
If the trailer has a headache rack you could mount lights on the side aimed back. But mount them level with road when it's tilted. Could do as suggested above and make or modify L brackets along top of rack.

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
Star 9018 Lineum minibars would be my recommendation. They are intensely bright (Similar to a Freedom bright), but they don't come cheap...

9018LED-A.jpg

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
What about a Whelen L31 beacon? I believe they have LEDs on the top of them, I'm not sure how bright they are though.

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
acala91 said:
What about a Whelen L31 beacon? I believe they have LEDs on the top of them, I'm not sure how bright they are though.

The LEDs on the top are not bright at all. You barely notice them at night, and no chance of even knowing they are there in the day light.

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
Also, I've seen a few trucks in my area who have either beacons or mini lightbars mounted on a bracket that rotates when the bed is up, so the light stays level no matter the angle of the bed. They seem to work pretty good.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
acala91 said:

FireMedic19 said:
The LEDs on the top are not bright at all. You barely notice them at night, and no chance of even knowing they are there in the day light.

The LEDs on the top are for diagnostic purposes for the flasher boards and not for any type of warning...

Your best bet would be to get some sort of strobe beacon or minibar (like a Guardian style, not a Patriot style)

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I say go with a swivel bracket. I know the OP said it wouldn't look good, but in this situation you can't have both looks, and proper warning.

Proper warning trumps looks.

Swivel bracket with minibar or beacon would do the job!

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
PM sent

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
best bet if you don't want a swivel bracket is going to be strobe

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Thanks for the replies guys. Actually, I thought about mounting linear heads vertically and suggested that thought to him. He liked that idea. The trailer is a 5th wheel style and has it's own battery, so connecting anything that draws a lot of power is frowned upon. That's why he wanted to stick with LED. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tony

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
ERM said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Actually, I thought about mounting linear heads vertically and suggested that thought to him. He liked that idea. The trailer is a 5th wheel style and has it's own battery, so connecting anything that draws a lot of power is frowned upon. That's why he wanted to stick with LED. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tony

As long as the 5th is wired correctly the trailer battery is being charged from the tow vehicle. But you are correct the less draw the better

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
zakovermyer said:
Get a couple of powerarcs and mount them Vertically? Of course, a Mars 888 isn't out of the question either. :yes:

Great minds think alike, that is the first thing i thought when reading the OP. EDIT: Also what about turned surface mount intersectors?

Untitled.jpg

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
strobecrazy said:
Great minds think alike, that is the first thing i thought when reading the OP. EDIT: Also what about turned surface mount intersectors?

View attachment 64980

Hmmmm:undecided:

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
Not going to be the sexiest per say but I suspect it'll meet you needs.

9200H8L & 9200HL Series Star Halo? LED Mini-Bars - Star Headlight & Lantern Company - Amber Products

Refer to the following video for reference, specifically refer to the 4:20 time frame in the video and you can se the design/halo kicks a decent bit of light straight out the top (even on a poor rotator simulation pattern). Change that to a full quad flash and I'd say it'll surpass you clients needs, and should negate the need for a self levelling bracket.

The Halo mini bar contains two of those beacons which looks like a decent product.

Hope this helps ERM. Let us know what you pick in the end.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.