what NOT to do ... Driver's Ed 101

That's the problem with people today, they don't care about anyone or anything but themselves. The SUV around 1:07 is totally oblivious to the lights and siren up to the point where he is literally on his/her ass. They either never look in their rearview, or to busy eating shit on their phone. Every time I come up on some retard driving like shit, I look over and lo and behold, they're messing with their phone.

GranPrix said:
That's the problem with people today, they don't care about anyone or anything but themselves. The SUV around 1:07 is totally oblivious to the lights and siren up to the point where he is literally on his/her ass. They either never look in their rearview, or to busy eating shit on their phone. Every time I come up on some retard driving like shit, I look over and lo and behold, they're messing with their phone.

very true :? However, at least once he DID see me, he did the right thing. That van went through the intersection while I was waiting to turn, KNEW I was there, and responded by pulling onto the shoulder and continuing to drive. He bugged me a lot worse that than Jeep ... :?

I don't know if the law is different now but 25-30 years ago when I worked as an auxiliary officer in Illinois the law said all a driver had to do was move to the right to give way to an emergency vehicle but your vehicle could still be moving if doing so did not impede to progress of the emergency vehicle.

I do remember being with one officer after dark when we were running to a call with lights and siren. A car in front of us would not move over, even with both spotlights in his mirrors. Finallly he saw us and pulled over. The officer stopped long enough to get his drivers license and told the driver to go to the police station and he'd meet him there when he got done with the call. Later the officer wrote this guy up for failure to yield and may have written others, to long ago to remember all the details.

GaryErrol said:
I don't know if the law is different now but 25-30 years ago when I worked as an auxiliary officer in Illinois the law said all a driver had to do was move to the right to give way to an emergency vehicle but your vehicle could still be moving if doing so did not impede to progress of the emergency vehicle.

I do remember being with one officer after dark when we were running to a call with lights and siren. A car in front of us would not move over, even with both spotlights in his mirrors. Finallly he saw us and pulled over. The officer stopped long enough to get his drivers license and told the driver to go to the police station and he'd meet him there when he got done with the call. Later the officer wrote this guy up for failure to yield and may have written others, to long ago to remember all the details.

State of MI requires you to pull over and stop. However, even with the above type of law, in this situation, he really WAS impeding traffic, since I had to slow significantly to go around him due to oncoming traffic and being uncertain of what he was doing ... On some roads it may not be as big of a deal, but here and then, it really created unneeded extra problems ...

GranPrix said:

That's the problem with allowing limo tint, mega stereos, and cell phones...

I was in my depts rescue truck heading to a call for possible MI. I was going down the highway, and this 1ton dodge truck would not move over until i was right on his ass... then he did the same thing the van did, only this jack-off sped up. THEN, when i passed him, he was tailgaiting me.

Pull over and slow... (Signals are good too)... I've never seen a need for a complete stop- I've seen someone rearend other drivers when one stops and two slow......

But that's me.

Mike

mfaith91 said:
Pull over and slow... (Signals are good too)... I've never seen a need for a complete stop- I've seen someone rearend other drivers when one stops and two slow......

But that's me.

Mike

well, in this situation, he A) didn't even bother to slow down and B ) there was no one else behind him that would rear end him, other than me ... The thing that bothers me about "slow down" vs "stop" is that you're adding in more of an element that something unexpected could happen - foot slips, pothole changes trajectory, etc - creating more risk. If you pull over and stop, you are stopped ...

mfaith91 said:

But that's me.

Mike

I have a problem with this...

I was responding to a medical in our medical unit. This old guy in a big old Buick would not pull over. When he finally pulled over, he only slowed down... at the same time I was slowing down to make a right hand turn down another road... so once he finally decided to stop he stopped blocking the road I was trying to turn on to. If he had just pulled over and stopped like the law says, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Anybody can have a problem - once. On open road with no opposing travel and a safe second lane or berm, as long as they yield, that's what counts. Do we really want all the lanes of a highway to come to a dead stop when they have already gotten out of the way?

Sure, shit happens. That's why we get the big bucks. How many complaints have we heard about people who come to a full stop on the roadway and wind up tying up traffic?

Stendec said:
Anybody can have a problem - once. On open road with no opposing travel and a safe second lane or berm, as long as they yield, that's what counts. Do we really want all the lanes of a highway to come to a dead stop when they have already gotten out of the way?

Sure, shit happens. That's why we get the big bucks. How many complaints have we heard about people who come to a full stop on the roadway and wind up tying up traffic?

I only gave one example... but it seems to be happening more and more.

Let's just stick with the pull over and stop.

AdaFire38 said:
I only gave one example... but it seems to be happening more and more.

Let's just stick with the pull over and stop.

And I just had it happen to me the other day ... trying to turn left, the lady in the left turn lane decides to turn ("out of my way", I'm sure :roll: ) and turns, LEFT, so now she's still blocking me (I'll put the link to the video up when I get it uploaded). And I can recall one last summer where I was trying to turn left and some genious coming toward me "slowed rather than stopped" and, guess what, almost drove right in front of me when I was trying to turn. When you see lights and hear sirens, DO NOT KEEP DRIVING (don't stop blocking a road, though, since I know you'll go there :roll: drive past the intersection and stop), we may need to go where you are heading ... Like 38 said, these are just a few of the MULTIPLE examples of someone who decides to slow down instead of stop. I cannot think of ONE time where someone stopping created an issue - I'm sure you can come up with an example, but they are a lot more rare than someone who is still driving causing issues ...

yeahsurewhateverok

I have had plenty of people balk, freeze, speed, stop, swerve, skid, you name it. It isn't happening more and more - it just seems like it the longer you are on the job. Drive your own car, don't think you can mindmeld with whoever else is on the road and expect them to do what you want them to. You had plenty of room, then van is the same width whether it's stopped or moving. Maybe you need to focus on not crossing the fogline so vehicles on the shoulder don't pose such an obstacle.

And of course someone has to chime in with climbing up somebody's back bumper as if that'll clear the road, and then bitches when someone does it to them. Keeping an assured clear distance works both ways. That's just basic EVOC.

We are supposed to drive like people are going to do something unexpected. That's just basic defensive driving.

Stendec said:
yeahsurewhateverok

I have had plenty of people balk, freeze, speed, stop, swerve, skid, you name it. It isn't happening more and more - it just seems like it the longer you are on the job. Drive your own car, don't think you can mindmeld with whoever else is on the road and expect them to do what you want them to. You had plenty of room, then van is the same width whether it's stopped or moving. Maybe you need to focus on not crossing the fogline so vehicles on the shoulder don't pose such an obstacle.

And of course someone has to chime in with climbing up somebody's back bumper as if that'll clear the road, and then bitches when someone does it to them. Keeping an assured clear distance works both ways. That's just basic EVOC.

We are supposed to drive like people are going to do something unexpected. That's just basic defensive driving.

:roll: I'm not saying we can drive with our eyes closed, my point is, that a good portion (not most but too many) of public pays little to no attention to emergency vehicles, causing unnecc risks to us, themselves, and everyone else on the road ... but I'm done now, so you can have the last word if you want it ... :roll:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381