What should I do? Lighting issue.

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
As some of you may know(from my previous posts), we got a new(to us) chassis for our tanker. I have the front like I want it, but the rear I am still having problems.

The tank is aluminum with a thick steel diamond plate bumper. Each side has 1 large and 1 smaller compartment.On the right side it has a ladder from the bumper to the top. On top down the center there are like 4-6 port holes. Like what you would expect on a dairy type truck(I'll try to get pictures). There are walls protecting those ports.(Very similiar to the picture below, sorry, the closest thing I could find on Google picture search)

My problem is, is that with the ladder/platform on the one side, both sides won't match if I put 2 beacons up top. Then on top of that, there's not a good way of mounting anything without drilling into the tank. So anything I do would need to be bracketed. It had 1 single strobe beacon in the center and I added 2 halogen flashers to the bumper. Now I want to make it 2 beacons of some sorts and add amber 900 series LED's to the bumper. I still need the beacons, but have the 900 LED's.

A lot of Chattanooga FD ladder trucks have 1 side lower than the other and have power arc lights mounted at each top corner. They don't look that bad, so I'm not against having 1 beacon out of place, just seeing whatever else thinks I should do.

The chief could care less really, since this tanker is and should take it's time to get to the fire, he doesn't believe it needs a whole lot(he even said I didn't really have to put a siren in it, but I am going too). Since we're far out in the country life, it's not like the city with lots o traffic.

I want to put this as much to NFPA codes as possible, I'm not sure what to do. Would leaving the single beacon and having the LED's on the lower section be sufficient?

I'll try to post actual pictures of the tank later.

at1_gstatic_com_images_b4f3de21013eec4981d8177049539891._.jpg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I've seen a few tankers with effective rear warning using a Highlighter in the upper-center, and a pair of 97-series (9"x7") strobes spaced low and wide apart.

The 97-series strobes both have red lenses, and are running an alternating quad flash at either 20 or 22.5 watts per side.

The Highlighter has a clear dome with a diagonal mirror and two fast rotators. Each rotator has a colored filter; one rotator filter is amber, and the other rotator filter is red. The rotator filters in the highlighter are placed so that the diagonal mirror creates two flashes of red and one flash of amber to the rear.

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
That was my thought, of just centering a mini bar and having the 900 LED's. That may be what I do, as that would be the simplest thing to do, and I a few selections here of a mini-bar.

Jordan,TCFD

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Use a mini bar with red and red or clear half fiilter on front and amber half filter on rear. lower leds in red.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
On the tankers I've seen, the Highlighter is mounted on a bracket just below the top of the rear face of the tank, so that the light cannot be seen from the front, but only from the sides and from the rear.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.