What Would Be A Suitable Light For The Back Of An E-Bike?

Jim1348

May 12, 2017
Rosemount
As posted above, what would be a suitable light for the back of an e-bike? I am thinking of looking around for a second hand light that is water-resistant and plugs in to a 12 volt outlet. Would an LED light be the way to go for something that is easier on power usage rather than anything incandescent?

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Be sure to check voltage. My "Rad" ebike is 48V. I'd need to rig a step-down transforer of some kind to get it down to a usable voltage. I believe some automotive LEDs range from 10-30V.

Reactions: Jim1348

Jim1348

May 12, 2017
Rosemount
Be sure to check voltage. My "Rad" ebike is 48V. I'd need to rig a step-down transforer of some kind to get it down to a usable voltage. I believe some automotive LEDs range from 10-30V.
Thank you for the reply. While this will be cumbersome, I plan on trying a Ryobi 40V 300-Watt Power Source RYI300BG and then a Power Adapter Converter 12V 10A Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Charger similar to the one linked below.

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
Way back in the day, around 2005 when I was on a bike unit- I had a rechargeable sealed lead acid battery powering 2 like axixtech 5mm led dash lights. Everyone else was so jealous. Looks like everything comes full circle haha.

Jim1348

May 12, 2017
Rosemount
Reactions: tsquale

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
What kind of bike? What is the motor? They have 12v outlets on Bosch and the like and Shimano is 6v so you need a stepup. I've been on ebikes since 2018 and bike patrol for 10 years. Your best bet is to wire direct but you do need to be mindful of the amp draw if you are running regular head/tail lights. External batteries and connections introduce more potential points of failure...and you have to remember to charge them. It's easy to forget to do that because external power sources last a long time but your bike you charge daily.

All that being said, the quad color feneix t3 is what I would suggest. Price is right, it's bright, modes are easy to deal with and quad color. We also have started using the Guardian Angel lights which are great for identification to the public. I would not use them for a warning light though.

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
It is a Rambo Krusader 2.0 AWD. Two Bafang Motors.

I will look at the Feneix T3. Thanks for the tip!

You are going to need a step up converter from 6v to 12v. Bafangs LIGHT outlets are 6v. They are inexpensive and really small/easy to tuck away....or step down direct from the battery which is 48v.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.