Whats important in a directional lighthead to you? And whats the brightest?

ledcrazzzzzzzy

Apr 22, 2012
United Kingdom
Hey guys - So, I realise I'm fairly 'new' on here, but I'm wondering whats important in a lighthead to you and whats your favourite?

Does your decision for purchase come down to:

Size?

Brightness?

Wide angle?

Coloured lenses?

Integrated / external flashers?

Stealth appearance?

I'm really just intrigued as a lot of the newer heads being produced seem to be going the way of the ghost, ion, ms6 led etc....very thin, very directional lights....but to me - bright AND wide angle should be important?

Do you now opt for things like the ghost / ion due to it being more 'stealth'?

So far, the lighthead thats impressed me the most without doubt is the Whelen M7. It is literally superb...but what do you think??? :confused:

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I love the whelen tir6 500 series with colored lenses. I run all highway so they are just about perfect for me. Thats all the Kansas highway patrol uses now is tir6's mostly.

I love the brightness of the optics

it's not too small so it leaves a nice foot print

i love the slow pattern too!

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Fast LT1 said:
I love the whelen tir6 500 series with colored lenses. I run all highway so they are just about perfect for me. Thats all the Kansas highway patrol uses now is tir6's mostly.

I agree. Thats all we use on our fire trucks in our department too. I also just bought one for myself too.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
ledcrazzzzzzzy said:
And whats the brightest?

This is the wrong question to be asking. "What is bright enough for my needs?" is the correct question - keeping in mind there is such a thing as too bright.

ledcrazzzzzzzy

Apr 22, 2012
United Kingdom

RJ* said:
This is the wrong question to be asking. "What is bright enough for my needs?" is the correct question - keeping in mind there is such a thing as too bright.

Personally I don't think there is a lighthead that is 'too bright' yet - so as far as my 'wrong question' is concerned, I was wondering which lamp everyone perceives as the brightest! The question you've stated I 'should' have asked was in the body of the post - maybe take a reread and then give your answer?

picone239

Jul 22, 2010
Paramus, NJ
Biggest factor for me to reliability. You can get a ridiculously bright light that will burn out in a few months for cheap, or spend a little more, give up a little brightness, and have a reliable light. It also depends on application.

It seems that with the ghost, the big selling point is the mounting options, as a result of its size.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I'm gonna go out on a limb (but a fairly study one, I think) and say that RIGID Duallys or D2s in Red/Blue would be "too bright" for everyday use. Maybe good for running code on the highway, to warn people a greater distance ahead of you so they can yield safely, but for in-town use on traffic stops & such they'd be too much of a good thing.

Can you picture 8 or 10 D2s in amber set up as a traffic advisor? Holy F**K, that's all you'd see on the back of a vehicle!

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
ledcrazzzzzzzy said:

Personally I don't think there is a lighthead that is 'too bright' yet - so as far as my 'wrong question' is concerned, I was wondering which lamp everyone perceives as the brightest! The question you've stated I 'should' have asked was in the body of the post - maybe take a reread and then give your answer?

I'd hazard to say its possible if only due to application. Depending on placement to the rear,there's some heads out there that arent practical to the rear at night if a low power mode isnt used. Just my thought

BackYardSales

Dec 5, 2011
US - KY
I still don't there's anything as effective in all light and weather conditions as a sealed beam. They tend to cut through everything including fog and smoke. LEDs are getting better, but they've got a ways to go.

Yeah, there are/were maintenance issues with sealed beams, but the replacement cost was fairly low.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
BackYardSales said:
I still don't there's anything as effective in all light and weather conditions as a sealed beam. They tend to cut through everything including fog and smoke. LEDs are getting better, but they've got a ways to go.

Yeah, there are/were maintenance issues with sealed beams, but the replacement cost was fairly low.

:eek:fftopic:It's obvious you have no opinion on leds or you would have said something constructive. instead of refering to sealed beams.

Find a new hobby and troll that one.

As for leds they can be annoying if to bright especialy if you are coming upon a scene and a ambulance has them in the back can blind and confuse a person.And the light patterns can do the samething. can blend together and not give oncoming any clue at whats happening.

Been there and seen it.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
chief1565 said:
:eek:fftopic:It's obvious you have no opinion on leds or you would have said something constructive. instead of refering to sealed beams.

Find a new hobby and troll that one.

Chill dude, this was the original question:

Whats important in a directional lighthead to you? And whats the brightest?

Hey guys - So, I realise I'm fairly 'new' on here, but I'm wondering whats important in a lighthead to you and whats your favourite?

I don't see anything there saying the discussion is limited to LED's. Maybe you should go troll another thread.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Well I was trying to bait BYS for a responce but it didn't work.

ledcrazzzzzzzy

Apr 22, 2012
United Kingdom
PJD642 said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb (but a fairly study one, I think) and say that RIGID Duallys or D2s in Red/Blue would be "too bright" for everyday use. Maybe good for running code on the highway, to warn people a greater distance ahead of you so they can yield safely, but for in-town use on traffic stops & such they'd be too much of a good thing.

Can you picture 8 or 10 D2s in amber set up as a traffic advisor? Holy F**K, that's all you'd see on the back of a vehicle!

Okay....but the Rigid lights are really designed for Spot and Flood applications in White light, from what I can see you can buy coloured lenses, but realistically, they aren't the correct shape for a proper directional lighthead really....nice looking lamps though

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
ledcrazzzzzzzy said:

Yes, there is far too bright in a LED, sold as a traffic advisor, and it has been on the market for a number of years yet the cost of it makes it extremely prohibitive. I own one, and un-installed it after a few months. It now sits in my office on a shelf. You could make it out over 4 miles away on a highway - clearly at night. Bright daytime sunlight- well over 2 mile visibility. Oh, and that was through 35% factory tint.. On and even far off axis is nothing short of amazing with this. Heck, I've used it to light up accident scenes before in rural areas. (slow full on arrow pattern, or alt warn pattern) It is that bright. (even in amber)

Tomar 200s in high power. (mine is a factory custom 8 head in a 4/4 split)

TOMAR | 200 Series Traffic Directors & Warning Systems

Cost me a arm and a leg. Next vehicle I own that it'll fit in, I am reinstalling it, and using it on low power most times. :cool:

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
ledcrazzzzzzzy said:
Okay....but the Rigid lights are really designed for Spot and Flood applications in White light, from what I can see you can buy coloured lenses, but realistically, they aren't the correct shape for a proper directional lighthead really....nice looking lamps though

I can get them with red, blue, amber, or white leds in the regular dually series.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.