What's the difference in these Whelen traffic advisors?

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
What's the difference in these Whelen Traffic Advisors?

1) TAM83RR - Traffic Advisor™, TIR3™, Super-LED®

2) TAD8RR - Dominator™ Traffic Advisor™, TIR3™ Super-LED® Low Profile

Both have end red flashers but what's the main difference?

tam83rr.jpg

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Overkill is correct. I have a TAM83 on my truck, because I wanted the ability to do custom patterns (via custom programming of the Cencom Red). The Dominator model is the "two-wire" version. They look identical externally, and use the same lightheads.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Does the Dominator version turn on the end flashers automatically? or is there a separate trigger wire for the ends? I spent a ton of money on a SOS UltraLite 12 all amber with red tips only to find out the entire bar comes on whenever I turn on the red tips, it made the amber flash as well.

sgzwach

Dec 9, 2012
Minnesota
After reading the manual which wires controls the traffic advisor flasher? Not the left, right or center out arrow but the actual warning on the arrow portion.
I believe applying power to the red wire will make the TA flash. If you apply power to any, or both, of the directional wires (Blue/Green) they will override the warning pattern. The end flashers operate independently, so at any time applying power to the orange wire you can flash the end modules.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Mine is the TAM83, not the Dominator version... so it has specific wires for each lighthead, driven by my Cencom Red.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Your SOS Ultralite should be able to be set to a particular mode so only the ends flash without the amber. Call SOS tech help or the vendor.
I called SOS after I installed it and wired it up. They stated the one with independent end flashers is a slightly different model. I can't recall the different model number cause it was so long ago but there is a difference. 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.