What's the dumbest/oddest thing you have ever seen someone try to steal?

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
I observed an individual stealing one 1157 light bulb out of a 2 pack. When I asked him if he had something he forgot to pay for, he unloaded 3 packs of AA Batteries, Little Tree Air Fresheners, a flashlight key chain, and then lastly the light bulb out of his pockets.

Had an employee steal beef jerky from the store. I had free jerky with other food in the employee lounge that day... :duh:

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
A few years ago a 70lb solid concrete goose was stolen from the front yard of my house.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
A guest at a first communion party plugged in his Samsung Galaxy S3 cell phone to charge and walked off to get some cake. Less than 10 minutes later, he walks back and it's missing. He gets another party guest, they go outside & start calling his phone, and hear it vibrating in the trunk of a "recovering" (15 days clean so far, allegedly) heroin addict. So they figure out whos car it is, get the addict outside, and he willingly opens his trunk while loudly proclaiming "See? Nothing here" and acting all indignant. The victim lifts up the fabric cover over the spare tire, and there's the phone.

Long story short, addict can't understand why he's in cuffs going to jail because "I gave it back! I even gave him my cell charger to replace his!" Then he actually has the balls to want to make a menacing report because the victim and friend threatened him and were gonna kick his ass. I told him he was lucky they didn't or I would have charged him with assault too :)

My City's park department just put in a complaint against the City's Street Department about some stolen Bungie cords off park trash cans.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Our local city use to place a Police Cruiser in the median of busy roadways and put a Dummy in the seat dressed as a cop.

Yeah...... they never locked the doors to it so someone stole the dummy......

Oh....... we had a guy try to steal a food bowl from one of our K-9's kennels... instead he got about 30 stitches

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
FEVER said:
Our local city use to place a Police Cruiser in the median of busy roadways and put a Dummy in the seat dressed as a cop.

Yeah...... they never locked the doors to it so someone stole the dummy......

Oh....... we had a guy try to steal a food bowl from one of our K-9's kennels... instead he got about 30 stitches

My Chief was telling me about the dummy's in the patrol cars up north sometime in the 70's ????...I think he mentioned Ohio. They park the car one night, come back and everything was removed. Lights, siren, doors, tires, etc.

codemaster

Jun 23, 2012
mississippi
1. Had a lunacy who told me the easterbunny took his pills and stole his voice

2. Drove up on an alarm call just to see the suspect crawling out the side Window with a dvd player and al green cd set. He dropped it and siad he was borrowing it from a friend.

3. Was patrolling blacked out parked on a side street with my window's down when I heard squeaky wheels. I looked down the street to see two crack heads pushing a huge projection screen tv down the street. When I turned the spot light on they hid behind the tv

4. Same ccrackhead from 3 3 months later stole a ladys Kentucky fried chicken bucket whike she was walking baxk to her car he was found greasy as shit two blocks away with gressy hands and a napkin n his pocket

:haha:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
jdh said:
My Chief was telling me about the dummy's in the patrol cars up north sometime in the 70's ????...I think he mentioned Ohio. They park the car one night, come back and everything was removed. Lights, siren, doors, tires, etc.

"I was in a very deep sleep, it was those kids with the wrenches!"

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
Found a pair of bolt cutters fused to a power feed cable, about 5 feet from a humming transformer about the size of a vw beetle. Large black flash pattern on the side of the building, however, no body on scene.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
patrol530 said:
Found a pair of bolt cutters fused to a power feed cable, about 5 feet from a humming transformer about the size of a vw beetle. Large black flash pattern on the side of the building, however, no body on scene.

It vaporized him. LOL

I have heard many stories about morons that try to take wire from a still live "insert device here" and fry themselves. Just chard remains left.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
Found those and also investigated a missing meter to find an entire 480v transformer open And gutted with live primary still open. I'm amazed it didn't get anyone considering even the walls of the structure next to it had burns.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
Couple of kids tried to steal one of those electric wheel chair thingy's from Fred Meyer. Only pursuit I was ever involved in. Reached a whoping speed of 2mph. Chased them to the bus terminal which by the time we got there had other officers waiting for them.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
Just had this happen to me this weekend...Camping with some friends at a open air event. A buddy brings a nice size pavillion, and I figure, I did not need my 2 man tent. So I left it packed up with all of our camping gear inside the pavillion. Next to it was my inflatable mattress, as he had also brought some old Army cots with. Later in the day, someone had come into our camp site and stole my tent and air mattress! Sucks for him though, as I had forgotten to remove a pair of sweaty socks from Friday night before my buddy got to the site.

codemaster

Jun 23, 2012
mississippi
Alright had another stupid call yesterday check this out

We get dispatched to a 911 call in reference to two subjects that are inside a womans residence who broke I n and wont leave. :woot:

So we haul ass running code :hahano:when we get there she is out side saying they are inside. We go in thr residence guns draw where we find the tv on in the living room with a talkshow host and a person he is interviewing. We go and get the lady and asked her where are they she points at the tv and sais "there they go I cant get them to leave":weird: my partner goes over and turns the tv of and the lady looks at us ans says "wow how u get em to leave Iive been trying for 2 hours and they wouldn't move":hail: I looked at the remote and told her that it was a melting plasmic death solar beam and the nex time they come jit the power button and It point it at the box and it will kill them. Im expecting to get called in the sheriff's office today about how we handled the call:

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
Someone stole a wooden cow from my parents lawn when I was a kid

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.