What's the point of a CLEAR color filter?

adamogden

Feb 1, 2013
Las Vegas
Hey guys-

OK first, let me be abundantly clear: This is NOT a discussion about jurisdictional color coding, color combinations, theories about what colors should be used where, etc, etc, etc...... So, now that we have that out of the way:

I just got my first FS Jetstrobe lightbar- Clear outer lenses, with colored filters in front of each lamp assembly, as needed. First, I was interested to see that the filters are actually attached to the outer lens, not the lamp assembly. This essentially means you have to place the filter in the outer lens "about" where you think it should go.... then slide it on, see if you were right, and adjust accordingly. Interesting concept.

But what I found more interesting- and thus the actual point of my thread: On my particular bar, the TD's had clear inserts in front of them (even though the outer lens is clear). So you are shining the TD's through TWO clear lenses. Why do they do that? My actual real job here in Las Vegas, is a Production Manager/ Lighting Designer for one of the Concert/Event venues here. In Live Production/Stage World, you put clear "gel" in front of a light, the reduce the heat output, so that the light energy makes it to the stage, without roasting the talent (although sometimes it would be nice if........ ahem.... I digress). Is this the same thing here? It just seemed weird to have/need that there.

It's not a big deal- to be honest, I took them out. I was just wondering if anyone knew the justification behind them.

Cheers.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
they used clear inserts on the jet series bars so the filters won't slide around, after time the filters in the next spots can and will slide over infront of your takedown.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Shawn L said:
they used clear inserts on the jet series bars so the filters won't slide around, after time the filters in the next spots can and will slide over infront of your takedown.

Exactly what he said... Even though at time those filters are a b*tich to slide in there... lol

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Likewise, while you noted one particular bar, the common use for clear lenses is, as a whole, light dispersion. Halogen, strobe and LED's all have their varying uses, a clear filter in front of it helps disperse light better, or in a specific direction, etc.

Strobes usually use a fluted style, halogens a fresnal, led's use clear diffusers to aide in the output of light. :)

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
TritonBoulder47 said:
Exactly what he said... Even though at time those filters are a b*tich to slide in there... lol

Sometimes the dome warps the other way, and the inserts are too loose.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
That's like on the Vistas I have if you want TDs leave out the filter will give penetraiting light if you want to have work lights put in clear filter ( vista clear filters have a frezel type disign to them) it will break up the light and give a kind of flood pattern of light.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.