Whelen 1200 strobe working right?

Stevel1981

Jun 16, 2022
Deltona, FL
I recently purchased a whelen 1200 strobe beacon, I took it apart and everything looks to be OK for its age. The thing is I'm not sure the relay or what ever fires the strobe tube is working right, it seems to flash sporadically, and there's long periods where you hear the caps charging but it just lingers and takes a bit to fire off.

I have a video of it, you can hear how off it seems, is this normal or is there a bad component?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Probably capacitors as @RS485 said.

However, I have also seen this once with a failing tube. It is likely the capacitors, but rule out the flash tube as well. One of my 5200s did this and based on the newish looking tube I swapped capacitors. When I saw no change I went back and tried swapping tubes. That same tube failed to fire at all in another beacon. Replaced that tube and it worked fine. While this noise and behavior is much more indicative of incomplete charges (capacitor issue), the tube could theoretically be failing in a way that contributes to the behavior.

You should do as @RS485 stated and condition the capacitors, that's easy. Before replacing them I would see what if anything swapping tubes does.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.