Whelen 295HFSa6

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Ok boys, I need some help. I just bought a whelen 295hfsa6 siren and need help finding out exactly what to get and where to get it. For right now, I want to hook it up to a separate 12v power supply and not in my car. So, this installation will have nothing to do with the car for the time being. I have the 12 pin harness, but no cords are attached.

My friend who is very good with electronics is helping me install, but I need to have all the necessary parts first. I would love if someone could tell me exactly what to get, and where to get it to get this thing tested.

mail-4.jpeg

mail.jpeg

mail-3.jpeg

mail-2.jpeg

mail-1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

LightBars4Sale.com

Dec 9, 2010
Norton Ohio 44203
i am dealing with one of these for a guy - and I am trying to learn myself

he had an "electronics" guy wire it - who did so with relays - my guess - since it was not a matrix relay bar - the relays were put in as this is a low current box. Now I am just trying to figure out how to get power to the slide switch - or to see if it is blown internally - also - need to see if there is a way to get the last button to lock and not be a momentary

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
I find out how it works. I got all the proper gauge wire, did some saudering, and got it to work. I attached a cigarette plug for power in my car

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
:roll:

Good lord. If you think running that off a cig plug is a good idea.... STOP NOW and take it to someone who knows what they're doing before your car goes up in a fireball.

Nov 21, 2010
Pelican Rapids, MN
LightBarsForSale.com said:

he had an "electronics" guy wire it - who did so with relays - my guess - since it was not a matrix relay bar - the relays were put in as this is a low current box. Now I am just trying to figure out how to get power to the slide switch - or to see if it is blown internally - also - need to see if there is a way to get the last button to lock and not be a momentary

http://www.whelen.com/install/134/13441.pdf

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
rwo978 said:

Good lord. If you think running that off a cig plug is a good idea.... STOP NOW and take it to someone who knows what they're doing before your car goes up in a fireball.

Well it wasn't my idea and it is pretty unnecessary but why do you think its dangerous? The plug has the proper amps and voltage

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Because you're trying to run a switchbox off a plug receptacle rated at 10-20 amps. If you end up using the siren, with all the lights, you're going to overload the 16 ga wire going to the cig plug in the vehicle. Hence, burning wires.

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
LightBarsForSale.com said:

The last button is a momentary with the S6 series...its ment for gun locks and such, if you want it to work as a normal switch you will have to physicaly replace it.

Nov 21, 2010
Pelican Rapids, MN
ark_firefighter said:
The last button is a momentary with the S6 series...its ment for gun locks and such, if you want it to work as a normal switch you will have to physicaly replace The manual listed above shows that switch 9 (push button six) is configurable by dip switch settings inside the unit. Default is momentary, but it will can also be timed for 8 sec. or a latch on-latch off (similar to the rest of the push buttons) or flash 400ms-on-400ms-off.

May 22, 2010
New York City
rwo978 said:

the owners of prestige led's hooked up a smart siren in there car like that lol, as a demo lol

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
rwo978 said:

I have the 295 powered on by a cigarette plug rated a 20 amps I believe. I have a 20 amp fuse in the cigarette plug, and a 20 amp fuse the + power wire. I don't use the switch box, but even if I did, i thought thats why those 10gauge red wires were there?? Meaning the red wires can just go to the battery for power for the switch box while the siren itself uses the cigarette plug. The only thing I worry about is the cigarette "hole" can constantly handle the electricity. Theres no markings on it that say "12v" but i assume it should be fine.

TNFF412N

May 22, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
But th wires going to that plug are NOT as big as the power wires going to the Siren. You should be ok but over time trying to pull that much power might end badly..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.