Whelen 295SLSA6 Wiring Question

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
I’ll be installing a Whelen 295SLSA6 and I would like the slide switch to function in the following manner.

Pos 0 - Off (obviously)

Pos 1 – Front Lights

Pos 2 – Rear Lights

Pos 3 – Front & Rear

According to the installation manual the switch operates the following:

0 = Off

1 Controls Terminal 1

2 Controls Terminal 2

3 Controls Terminals 3, 4 & 5

Can I just do small jumpers from position 3 to position 1&2 so that I can have the front and rear lights on together?

KCB 850

Sep 5, 2010
USA FLORIDA
gallagher073 said:
I’ll be installing a Whelen 295SLSA6 and I would like the slide switch to function in the following manner.

Pos 0 - Off (obviously)

Pos 1 – Front Lights

Pos 2 – Rear Lights

Pos 3 – Front & Rear

According to the installation manual the switch operates the following:

0 = Off

1 Controls Terminal 1

2 Controls Terminal 2

3 Controls Terminals 3, 4 & 5

Can I just do small jumpers from position 3 to position 1&2 so that I can have the front and rear lights on together?

Unless I am misunderstanding you, there is no need for jumpers to accomplish what you are trying to do. In reality, they would do exactly the opposite of what you are trying to do.

The positions of the slide switch work like this:

0= Off

1 = Terminal 1 is on (2,3,4,5 are off)

2 = Terminal 2 comes on and 1 stays on (3,4,5 are still off)

3 = Terminals 3, 4 & 5 come on and 1 and 2 stay on.

Now push buttons 5 and 6 confuse me enough to have to read and re-read the instructions.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

HTH,

Robert

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
KCB 850 said:
Unless I am misunderstanding you, there is no need for jumpers to accomplish what you are trying to do. In reality, they would do exactly the opposite of what you are trying to do.

0= Off

Now push buttons 5 and 6 confuse me enough to have to read and re-read the instructions.

HTH,

Robert

Originally I misunderstood what the OP is trying to accomplish, and it appears that you did too. In position 2, he wants terminal 1 to not be powered, but then for terminal 1 to be powered again when he gets to position 3.

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
KCB 850 said:

0= Off

HTH,

Robert

I didn't realize (based on the instructions) that 1&2 stay active when the slide switch is in position 3. :duh: Thanks for the feedback.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
gallagher073 said:
I didn't realize (based on the instructions) that 1&2 stay active when the slide switch is in position 3. :duh: Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, that's what makes your situation complex. Turning off the front lights on in position 1, off in position 2, and back on again in position 3 will take a little bit of engineering.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
If you're feeling determined, here's how to do it with an external relay.

Position 1: Terminal 1 is active. Power goes to the front lights, via the normally closed (NC) terminal of the relay.

Position 2: Terminals 1 & 2 are active. Power goes to the rear lights and the relay cuts power to the front lights.

Position 3: Terminals 1, 2 & 3 are active. Power goes to the rear lights and to the front lights, via the normally open (NO) terminal of the relay.

prog hack.jpg

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
shues said:
Yes, that's what makes your situation complex. Turning off the front lights on in position 1, off in position 2, and back on again in position 3 will take a little bit of engineering.

I'm always up for a challenge. When it is complete I'll post how I did it.

MtnMan said:
If you're feeling determined, here's how to do it with an external relay.

Position 1: Terminal 1 is active. Power goes to the front lights, via the normally closed (NC) terminal of the relay.

Position 2: Terminals 1 & 2 are active. Power goes to the rear lights and the relay cuts power to the front lights.

Position 3: Terminals 1, 2 & 3 are active. Power goes to the rear lights and to the front lights, via the normally open (NO) terminal of the relay.

Thanks for the advice!

dodgefan99

Jan 1, 2012
RI
Slide switches are programmable on that system. It is very simple to do. You can have the front on slide one, deactivate front and activate rear on slide two, and activate slides one and two in position three.

If you that is what you are trying to do, then I can walk you through it. I don't want to leave a lengthy answer if it isn't what you are looking for.

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
dodgefan99 said:
Slide switches are programmable on that system. It is very simple to do. You can have the front on slide one, deactivate front and activate rear on slide two, and activate slides one and two in position three.

If you that is what you are trying to do, then I can walk you through it. I don't want to leave a lengthy answer if it isn't what you are looking for.

That is exactly what i'm looking to do!

dodgefan99

Jan 1, 2012
RI
So, Here is the link to the install sheet if you happen to get lost. http://www.whelen.com/install/141/14130.pdf

Turn the Unit off

Make sure the slide switch is off

place the siren rotary switch in HF mode

Push in the scan lock button on the back of the siren while turning on the unit.

Place the slide switch into position 2

Press MAN

Slide switch 1 and 2 should be lit up on face

Press HORN until the only light lit is switch output 2.

Set the new setting in the system by keying the microphone.

Turn unit off and then back on.

Slide switch 1, should be only that, slide 2 should also be just that, and three should be all.

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
dodgefan99 said:
So, Here is the link to the install sheet if you happen to get lost. http://www.whelen.com/install/141/14130.pdf

Turn the Unit off

Make sure the slide switch is off

place the siren rotary switch in HF mode

Push in the scan lock button on the back of the siren while turning on the unit.

Place the slide switch into position 2

Press MAN

Slide switch 1 and 2 should be lit up on face

Press HORN until the only light lit is switch output 2.

Set the new setting in the system by keying the microphone.

Turn unit off and then back on.

Slide switch 1, should be only that, slide 2 should also be just that, and three should be all.

Thank You, worked perfectly!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.