Whelen 8000 series, LED internals, but factory look and function?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have a few Whelen 8000 series bases and doems lying around.  I was considering the options on how to best preserve the external appearance, and the accuracy of the setup while using LEDs.  The 8000 series is just an enclosed crossbar system.  It's two end beacons, directional lights middle and speaker center.  The 6000 was the same story, the picture below shows the enclosed and and cross bar versions of these lights.

encls.jpg

With that in mind, I want to recreate the setup with the 360 outer and directional inner idea intact.  I  also want to preserve the cruise function.  Here are my ideas so far, using Whelen L31 beacons and and P46FL par46 LEDs as parts.  I could do a double flash alternating at the lowest speed for the beacon (with cruise) and then do either a slow single flash if I am simulating incandescent flashers or the same double flash for strobes.  I also pictured a cheaper idea w/o the PARs.

Fully Optioned

8000led1.jpg

Economy

8000led1a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Awesome idea, can't wait to see what you come up with!

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
As Tony the Tiger would put it...

That's GREAT!!... !!..

I think Cometflash would like great personally.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It can be as many patterns as we want really, that's the beauty of the technology.  The inner lamps can mimic strobes or flashers.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
I like it John. If I had the funds I was toying with the idea of doing something similar with SLR pods.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I'm not usually in favor of "updating" vintage lights and bars, but I think this is workable, would look nice, and be effective if put into service. 

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'm not usually in favor of "updating" vintage lights and bars, but I think this is workable, would look nice, and be effective if put into service. 
I agree, usually I don't retrofit old bars, but these are frames and domes only already.  I think I can stay true enough to the original parts but updated to LED to pull it off.  The next idea is rotabeam LEDs in a 80h lol.

Reactions: RDT Car 25

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
What about using the internals of the l21 inside the oe strobe lens?
Good idea, that probably actually a better choice.  It's still a Whelen class 1 LED with cruise feature (I forgot the non-magnet ones had cruise).  It would be more true to the "360" strobe idea. 

Reactions: got_yogurt

rettoded

Aug 12, 2011
Berks County,PA
If I may also make a suggestion, what about using an ERM flasher for the flashers/strobes? The reason I suggest is that pattern 15 is a great mimic of halogen/incandescent flashers. Plus with 2 modes a replicated strobe flash could also be programmed. 

I am very interested and look forward to seeing how this project comes out

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
My workbench in "The Lab" already has a Crossbar LED conversion Project in the works.  I am still looking for some components to complete her.  Suffice to say, this thread is interesting for sure!  I can't wait to see how others build theirs! 

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If I may also make a suggestion, what about using an ERM flasher for the flashers/strobes? The reason I suggest is that pattern 15 is a great mimic of halogen/incandescent flashers. Plus with 2 modes a replicated strobe flash could also be programmed. 

I am very interested and look forward to seeing how this project comes out
I hadn't even gotten to the flasher part yet.   I would like the ability to synch the PAR 46s and the 360s to simulate strobes, and to run them un-synched at different speeds to simulate incandescent.  ERM is probably the answer.  They usually are for flashers.  Good call.

My workbench in "The Lab" already has a Crossbar LED conversion Project in the works.  I am still looking for some components to complete her.  Suffice to say, this thread is interesting for sure!  I can't wait to see how others build theirs! 
Please tell me you stuck two LED rotabeams in there somehow...

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
Please tell me you stuck two LED rotabeams in there somehow...
That IS the plan sir!  Putting them into a pair of 994s, and using 4 ea. PAR46SLCs for the cans.

Consider using the ULF44 flasher.  They have 2 modes, 1 being Cruise, and the 2nd for Warning.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That IS the plan sir!  Putting them into a pair of 994s, and using 4 ea. PAR46SLCs for the cans.

Consider using the ULF44 flasher.  They have 2 modes, 1 being Cruise, and the 2nd for Warning.
Sweet.  Can't wait to see it.  Do the rotabeam LEDs fit in a model 33/77?

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
Sweet.  Can't wait to see it.  Do the rotabeam LEDs fit in a model 33/77?
I am still waiting on them to arrive.  I don't think they will fit a 33/77 though.  The base flange would need to be modified.  ( I Think so anyway based on the pics I have seen)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I am still waiting on them to arrive.  I don't think they will fit a 33/77 though.  The base flange would need to be modified.  ( I Think so anyway based on the pics I have seen)
That was what I wondered.  I'd love to do that because that's the same housing a a rotabeam senior.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Back to the front

anyboby got anything to show off yet?

The frame, domes and good intentions.... so no.  Like many other projects budgeted by the site, it took a seat when funds shifted.  It's sitting there waiting.  

I would love to do a 80h bar with rotabeam leds, that would make a nice counterpart.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Can't wait to see the finished product.  I think it's a great way to keep vintage bars going after the internal's go out of production.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have gathered the vintage parts, and I now just need the LEDs. I suppose I need to start browsing the classifieds.

Reactions: tsquale

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.