Whelen Advantedge advice.

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
Greetings from Iowa
Just acquired a Whelen Advantedge flush mount bar. This is my first flush mount bar. It has the halogen oscillators. Red/clear filters and pin connectors. Five of them. Three four pin and two three pin. Pictures are attached. I'm assuming I need a power supply and switch box for operation. I'm probably wrong. Any advice on what equipment is needed would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20231017_201030.jpg
    IMG_20231017_201030.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 22

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The oscillating lights are quite rare, nice find.

It is quite possible that all you need is 12 volt power, the strobes and the halogen directional modules were wired with the same wires many. You may not be able to see through the fluted lenses to tell if the end and center lights are strobes or halogen, which means you may have to remove at least an endcap. The center and two end 7x3 directional lamps will have a 3 pin/wire plug for strobes AND halogens, the halogens just don't use the center white wire. You have to determine which you have.

Total you should have three of those three pin connectors and two total four pin connectors (for the oscillating lights). Those 4 pin plugs will each have two black and two red wires. The black are ground, the red power. One plug does the inner pair and one the outer pair. In the four pin plugs you can put 12v to anything red and ground anything black.

If you have strobe 7x3 lights you just hook the three pin plugs up as they are wired to the strobe supply. If they are halogen you ground the one wire (usually outer one that's not red or orange) and put 12v to the other (usually the other outer red/orange) wire ignoring the center wire. If they are halogen they would still need a flasher or else they will just come on steady burn.

The oscillating modules themselves were quite prone to failure at the point where the wires twisted back and forth as the lighthead oscillated. If you have any non-working components let me know I have repaired a lot of oscillating whelen components.

If you ever want to sell this bar let me know, I buy these whole and I also buy just the oscillating portions or will trade them for the rotators that go in their place. Let me know if you have any other questions.

pinout.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony P and StEaLtH2

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
Thank you guys for the valuable information. I will take the lenses out and see what I am working with. I just guessed I would need a whelen power supply with the like plug pin outlets.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Thank you guys for the valuable information. I will take the lenses out and see what I am working with. I just guessed I would need a whelen power supply with the like plug pin outlets.
You at least need a halogen flasher, at most a strobe supply; but I can let you know for sure when you post interior pics. Shouldn't be a big deal.

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
Well I investigated further on the Advantedge. It has rotators and not oscillators. Strobes in the middle and on the ends. I will post some pics as soon as I get time. So I need a strobe supply to run the strobes? It doesn't have one on board? Thanks again for the advice as this is my first flush mount.

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
Oops, my bad. I read through John's message again. Disregard the strobe question. I will put 12 v to it and see what works and what does not. Thank you again. Will post some pics.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Oops, my bad. I read through John's message again. Disregard the strobe question. I will put 12 v to it and see what works and what does not. Thank you again. Will post some pics.
Too bad on not having oscillating lights, but still a cool find. No worries, really the thing to do is open it up and make sure, but you can just put 12v to the wires as drawn in the diagram. If you put 12vdc to the end lamps and they are strobe they just won't work, you likely won't damage them, but it's better to just look. If it is strobe it would have run of a central remote supply located in the ambulance electrical cabinet (some flush mount edges had internal supplies, but not advantedges). Halogen end/center lights would have been run off a halogen ambulance model flasher, also in the electrical compartment, but any properly rated flasher will work. If it is strobe, 3 head power supplies are not common but you can plug 3 heads into many 4 head power supplies with no problem.

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
The information you have shared is priceless. It was a lucky find and excited to add it to the collection. The bar looks to have the ball bearing rotators. I have a couple Whelen bars I have found this summer ready for winter projects when the snow flies. Caught your YouTube video on the different models of Whelen flush mount bars. Great video. Had no idea there were so many variations. Will let you know if I come across any oscillating bars for sure.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny22

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.