Whelen Alpha Remote Internal Jumpers question - OLD SHAPE

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Cut one of them, then post the results.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Very strange that a circuit diagram doesn't indicate their function. Now you've got me really curious. Anyone have an extra one of these lying around that they're willing to potentially sacrifice?

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
What is the exact model number of this unit? I'm making progress figuring this out.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Does anyone have one of these units, functioning or not, that they're willing to lend me? I can promise it will not be harmed in any way. It's just easier to have the physical unit AND the schematic available while trying to figure out what things do.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
What's your discovery? I'm having my guys look at the stuff tomorrow. Also seeing if I can get my hands on one of these locally to look at.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
SireLite said:
If im correct. The only thing that is different between the Alpha Q, M and R is the main chips firmware.

From my understanding and research, you are correct.

The Jumpers in question seem to be a way to maintain usage of a prefabricated board with only minor alterations. It appears as if they provide power from the main to sub-systems within the siren. Don't quote me on that however.

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
How cool would it be to turn a crappy M into a Q model with a simple snip snip? I know you can do similar mods to amateur radios to extent the Tx freq's. Lets hope!

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
FFRNDAN` said:
How cool would it be to turn a crappy M into a Q model with a simple snip snip? I know you can do similar mods to amateur radios to extent the Tx freq's. Lets hope!

Sadly that is not the case here. Removing those jumpers turned out to be a very bad idea...

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
SireLite said:
What happend?

see below.

FFRNDAN` said:
Magic blue smoke? Too bad...

Yup, but for about a tenth of a second it was the craziest sound i've ever heard a siren make...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.