Whelen Cencom not working

TrentJohnson

Dec 13, 2023
WA, United States
Hello. So I bought a 2015 FPIU back in augest and found out it has a Whelen Cencon Saphire underneath the passenger seat. I hooked up the power to it and bought a control head for it and all it does is flash the control head. You can press a button but then 5 seconds later it will flash and froget everything you just did. So I plugged my laptop into it and tried to put a base programing into it and it still does the same thing.

In short could the brain be bad or is it the head.

I can tottaly get a video if needed

Thanks!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Hello. So I bought a 2015 FPIU back in augest and found out it has a Whelen Cencon Saphire underneath the passenger seat. I hooked up the power to it and bought a control head for it and all it does is flash the control head. You can press a button but then 5 seconds later it will flash and froget everything you just did. So I plugged my laptop into it and tried to put a base programing into it and it still does the same thing.

Thanks!
I would try connecting it to just the laptop with no vehicle power to read it. The USB will not power it aside from reading or updating. You may need to install firmware up reset it. Unhooking from vehicle power takes it into a kind of "safe mode".

Reactions: RL1

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Also does it have any “Ford” markings on the Cencom unit? I could be wrong but I seem to recall there were Cencom’s sold with the FPIU and there were some minor differences with needing the Ford approved software or something thereof…

**Please correct me if I’m wrong on this**

Seth

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota

Thanks!
Id like to see a video.

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Might be a red-herring but here goes:
This reminds me of when I tried to use a CenCom Sapphire ca. 2012 with a Legacy ca. 2018.
In this case, the CenCom would try to talk to the Legacy over CanBus (Wecan) but didn't understand what the Legacy sent back. I reached out to Whelen's tech support and they informed me the CenCom needed to updated firmware.

The way your keypad "cycles" is exactly the same behavior I saw w/r/t to the CenCom's attempt to setup the Legacy. The Legecy would send back details about itself the CenCom just didn't know about yet...just because it was so much older than the Legacy. It would just keep repeating its attempt to connect and configure over and over again.

So FWIW, it might be worth rounding up serial number, mfg dates and if they're years apart (newer keypad vs older CenCom Sapphire), reach out the Whelen asking if there are known incompatibilities in the firmware.

TrentJohnson

Dec 13, 2023
WA, United States
Might be a red-herring but here goes:
This reminds me of when I tried to use a CenCom Sapphire ca. 2012 with a Legacy ca. 2018.
In this case, the CenCom would try to talk to the Legacy over CanBus (Wecan) but didn't understand what the Legacy sent back. I reached out to Whelen's tech support and they informed me the CenCom needed to updated firmware.

The way your keypad "cycles" is exactly the same behavior I saw w/r/t to the CenCom's attempt to setup the Legacy. The Legecy would send back details about itself the CenCom just didn't know about yet...just because it was so much older than the Legacy. It would just keep repeating its attempt to connect and configure over and over again.

So FWIW, it might be worth rounding up serial number, mfg dates and if they're years apart (newer keypad vs older CenCom Sapphire), reach out the Whelen asking if there are known incompatibilities in the firmware.
Thank you! I'll see if i can reach out

TrentJohnson

Dec 13, 2023
WA, United States
Called whelen and they told me I have a gold remote head and im trying to use it on a cencom brain. Which i knew i had both and thought they were compatable but come to find out they aren't.. So im gonna go shop for a new remote head unless i can find someone to trade with.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
If you need help from some really knowledgeable people (Which I am not), try the Whelen Command Group on FB. They helped me troubleshoot some stuff and one run reprogramed my control to exactly what I wanted, free of charge.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.