Whelen Cencom Sapphire Input Expansion Module

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Can anyone explain the optional "input expansion module" now offered on the Cencom Sapphire?  Can I use the "inputs" to control other devices like a trigger wire for a lightbar that required 0.25 amps?

Jul 14, 2014
NV
John, we just got one in on end of year money.  I haven't unpacked it yet to play with it.  I'll update this when I get time over the weekend and I'm caught up on my IMARS reports.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
John, I played with the software for a bit today (thank goodness for a new IT guy that gave me admin rights to a USG computer).  It appears that they are both input and output depending on how you program the unit.  There are 2 rows of wires, you can use either the positive or negative wire per one input.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Quote said:
Sorry for the delay in reply.  I finally got a chance to talk to a Whelen tech rep at Fire Show West.  The reason behind the expansion module is to work with the negative inputs from the Ford PI, both Utility and Sedan, that are on the steering wheel.  The inputs can be used to control various outputs on the CentCom, IE wire an input to the door open wire and turn off the drivers side modules of the lightbar, or turn on ground lumination lights (fire engine).  The inputs are factory set to see ground ("low switch" was the term the rep used), but can be programmed to get 12 VDC input.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.