Whelen crossbar endcap reproduction

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Hello guys,

I have this Whelen bar that needs new endcaps, but since they are hard to find, me and my brother used a 3D printer to try and recreate them. They are white as of now but with the proper painting, they should come out looking quite alright.
Of course they will not be exact replicas, but for display bars, I think they will come out pretty enough.

20161202_140441_resized.jpg 20161202_154936_resized.jpg 20161202_154946_resized.jpg 20161202_155006_resized.jpg 20161202_155025_resized.jpg

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
very well done man :)

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I am impressed. I recently was experimenting with the same thing. I actually bought two old metal cigarette tins on Ebay thinking they would work. I removed and used the flip top thin metal lids.They ended up being the exact length but about 1/4" too narrow. I even posted over on the Vintage Whelen FB page showing how they turned out. I was able to locate two original Crossbar end caps and bought them, but they are hard to find and you can expect to pay the price if you want to buy a set. Your idea is a great idea.

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
Let me know if you and your brother are willing to make anymore. I may be able to drum up some business for you. White would be fine as most guys doing these crossbars over already have the aluminum paint to use. Thanks

Reactions: Tony P

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Hi Kerry,
Thanks for the compliments . We are running some thickness tests at the moment to try and come up with a model that is sturdy enough , yet not too thick .

You can actually see the multiple layers to make them. With paint I assume it will be better hidden.

They won't be as though as the originals of course but as I said before, I think they will suit just fine for cosmetic displays .

Reactions: kerry4951

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
Hi Kerry,
Thanks for the compliments . We are running some thickness tests at the moment to try and come up with a model that is sturdy enough , yet not too thick .

You can actually see the multiple layers to make them. With paint I assume it will be better hidden.

They won't be as though as the originals of course but as I said before, I think they will suit just fine for cosmetic displays .
I agree with how sturdy that need to be. Most guys who are doing these Crossbars over are only using them for display. Keep up the great work!!

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
The design I posted earlier in the thread remains almost the same so far. The question is how tight you want it to be.
For display purpose it can be a bit loose, but on a parade car it would most likely fall off unless you screw it to the bar.

If I make it too snug, it will hold and most probably delaminate quickly.

Let me know what purpose you need those for and I should be able to find a proper compromise.

New color can be light or dark gray. You can paint them as well to fit your needs I suppose.

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I would only be using mine for display. Fitting a little loose would be fine. Either color would be fine because I would paint them anyway. When I restore a Crossbar I end up painting the accessory lights, the feet, and sometimes the bar so painting the end caps would be part of the restoration for me. Thanks for getting back to me and let me know what you can do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.