Whelen Dominator behind Tahoe Grill

Mar 25, 2014
TX
I know this is a common install, but I'm really new to this and want to try to do this myself. 

Does anyone have pictures of a D6/8 installed behind the grill?  I just want to see what brackets were used and how it all comes together, so I can plan this thing out beforehand.

Thanks!

mikejr0711

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
Im sorry i don't have any pictures but i had a D8 mounted in my grill  (2007 LTZ) at one time and just used simple L brackets from home depot. I painted them black so they wouldn't show up. I then used bolts in one of the cross members in the lower half of grill and mounted it that way. I have since taken it out but will be putting it back in when i get home. I will be trying to put it in the top half if possible. If you have any luck with anything please let me know!

Mar 25, 2014
TX
What year Tahoe are you working with?
Well, shoot - I feel like an idiot, that's basic information I should have included.  2014.  It already has two Whelen speakers behind the grille as well, mounted using the standard Whelen brackets.

Im sorry i don't have any pictures but i had a D8 mounted in my grill  (2007 LTZ) at one time and just used simple L brackets from home depot. I painted them black so they wouldn't show up. I then used bolts in one of the cross members in the lower half of grill and mounted it that way. I have since taken it out but will be putting it back in when i get home. I will be trying to put it in the top half if possible. If you have any luck with anything please let me know!
Let me know if you find any pictures!  I bought mine with the Whelen L-Brackets, so hopefully I can just make use of those.  Worst case scenario I suppose I could mount it on the brush guard, but I don't really want a bunch of lighting fixtures visible all the time.  Draws too much attention when not in use.

mikejr0711

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
Well, shoot - I feel like an idiot, that's basic information I should have included.  2014.  It already has two Whelen speakers behind the grille as well, mounted using the standard Whelen brackets.

Let me know if you find any pictures!  I bought mine with the Whelen L-Brackets, so hopefully I can just make use of those.  Worst case scenario I suppose I could mount it on the brush guard, but I don't really want a bunch of lighting fixtures visible all the time.  Draws too much attention when not in use.
Will do. I just got my whelen par's in and will be doing those and the dominator this week. ill take pictures of the process to get you a good idea.

mikejr0711

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
Ok. I just finished installing my D8 behind the grille in the upper portion. i used two "L"Brackets that had 2 holes on each length. it was kind of tricky on how i was going to do it but i ended up drilling two holes in the plasting behind the actual grille mesh that where the hood latch is kind of located. Just used a bolt and locking nuts and fits very securely in there. Pretty much no room to rattle or shift anywhere. If you need any other pictures please let me know! ill gladly take some more.

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

Reactions: TritonBoulder47
Mar 25, 2014
TX
Thanks for taking those pictures!  That was really helpful.  I'm doing the install tonight, I'm going to put it in both locations (brush guard and behind the grill) and see which one looks better and provides better lighting.  I'll post pictures eventually!

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
Do you guys know if two D6's (LINZ Heads), mounted side-by-side, will fit in the same position in the upper grill slot?

Thanks

RJ

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.