Whelen edge 9000 Mini magnet mount?

MonkeyBiz

Jan 22, 2011
Whitehall, MI
So, continuation of my saga with getting this damn light on my truck and operational...

I got this light from a friend, who had the permanent mount. That mount is gone, got left on his car ect. So I've been searching high and low, and I can't find a place that sells the magnet mount. The one guy on my dept that had one, just drilled holes in the bottom of the light and put magnets there. I don't want to do that.

Does anybody have an idea of what the mount even looks like? I am assuming that it slides and locks into the channel on to underside of the light, and the magnets bold on to that. Anybody know where I can get this?

TIA

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
MonkeyBiz said:
So, continuation of my saga with getting this damn light on my truck and operational...

I got this light from a friend, who had the permanent mount. That mount is gone, got left on his car ect. So I've been searching high and low, and I can't find a place that sells the magnet mount. The one guy on my dept that had one, just drilled holes in the bottom of the light and put magnets there. I don't want to do that.

Does anybody have an idea of what the mount even looks like? I am assuming that it slides and locks into the channel on to underside of the light, and the magnets bold on to that. Anybody know where I can get this?

TIA

I'd try ebay. I'd also shy away from mag mounts on a mini edge. I've heard a lot of stories of edge bars taking flight. and not having a safe landing.

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
I live about 45 miles from you and I have many mini edges with magnets on them and I make custom mini

edge bars and I tell you that I use 6-95lb magnets on each bar and have tested speeds up to 100 mph.

I also have many Whelen lfl bars using magnets, trick is to keep your magnets clean.

But one of the worse things some can do is to mount magnets on a set of mini edge feet, you see you

want to keep the edge as low as you can. I buy my magnets from my local ace hardware.

If you need some help just Pm me.

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Nick, you need to use something like this. This is for the fullsized code 3 bars but I'm sure it would work for your application. The trucks these days don't have gutters. but the lightbars mount just like the ones on the police cars. If you open your door and pull away the seal they mount via self tapping screws just above where the little lip is that the seal attaches to. its easier to show someone in person. If I can get a pic tomorrow I will show you what I mean. Other wise I have a full sized MX7000 I can make a good deal on.

CODE 3 MX7000 LIGHTBAR ROOF MOUNTS & GUTTERLES ADAPTERS - eBay (item 290548447479 end time Mar-29-11 17:49:55 PDT)

And now that I think about it I have actually modified a set of those mounts in the link above to get a code 3 2100 led bar to sit as low as possible on a buddies truck Maybe a 1/4 in off the roof of the truck. It looked sweet.

MonkeyBiz

Jan 22, 2011
Whitehall, MI
deputychief301 said:
I live about 45 miles from you and I have many mini edges with magnets on them and I make custom mini
edge bars and I tell you that I use 6-95lb magnets on each bar and have tested speeds up to 100 mph.

I also have many Whelen lfl bars using magnets, trick is to keep your magnets clean.

But one of the worse things some can do is to mount magnets on a set of mini edge feet, you see you

want to keep the edge as low as you can. I buy my magnets from my local ace hardware.

If you need some help just Pm me.

Jim Rogers

deputychief301
I would be really interested in seeing what you make.. I've thought of some design ideas already. :woot: I currently have 4 90# magnets on my star bar, and those have the "magnet codoms" that keep them from scratching your paint on them.. Those are tested @ 120+ :woot: :woot:

MonkeyBiz

Jan 22, 2011
Whitehall, MI
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
Nick, you need to use something like this. This is for the fullsized code 3 bars but I'm sure it would work for your application. The trucks these days don't have gutters. but the lightbars mount just like the ones on the police cars. If you open your door and pull away the seal they mount via self tapping screws just above where the little lip is that the seal attaches to. its easier to show someone in person. If I can get a pic tomorrow I will show you what I mean. Other wise I have a full sized MX7000 I can make a good deal on.

CODE 3 MX7000 LIGHTBAR ROOF MOUNTS & GUTTERLES ADAPTERS - eBay (item 290548447479 end time Mar-29-11 17:49:55 PDT)

And now that I think about it I have actually modified a set of those mounts in the link above to get a code 3 2100 led bar to sit as low as possible on a buddies truck Maybe a 1/4 in off the roof of the truck. It looked sweet.
That is what concerns me.. The truck may be a 99, but it is new to me, and the last thing I want to do is put screws into it.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
MonkeyBiz said:
That is what concerns me.. The truck may be a 99, but it is new to me, and the last thing I want to do is put screws into it.

The screws are where they wont ever been seen, and aslong as you seal it with some RTV or Silicone it wont leak. I'll have to show you.

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
I bought a set of 4 of those 120# poly coated magnets from MC green Sales on fleabay.

I have them on a 47" LFL bar that I use from time to time for school security. And have driven 70 mph with it, and it didn't even move or scratch the roof. That MC guy sells 250# magnets. So you can always go that route.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
EL1998P71 said:
I bought a set of 4 of those 120# poly coated magnets from MC green Sales on fleabay.
I have them on a 47" LFL bar that I use from time to time for school security. And have driven 70 mph with it, and it didn't even move or scratch the roof. That MC guy sells 250# magnets. So you can always go that route.

I bought a set of those 120 pound poly coated mags for a mini code 3 2100 and was crusing down the road about 60 and had a semi pass me and it had enough air flowing along behind it with enough force to slide the light backwards and it took flight. Shattered in the box of my truck.

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
I own a mini led/strobe edge w 4 95lb mags and 3 25 lb mags on it...Hasnt moved an inch so far...The 95 mags are mounted with bolts on the bottom that can easily be removed if need be but the 25's cant be removed unless i take the bar apart which i will this spring to change to a heavier mag....

MonkeyBiz

Jan 22, 2011
Whitehall, MI
Well, I ended up putting 6 95# magnets on it, and it sits about 1/4 inch off the roof of the truck.. If it flys off.. no big.. I didn't pay anything for the bar. :p

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.