Whelen Edge Ultra/ MPC01 HELP!

BLINK1000

Feb 24, 2012
California
hey,

I just bought a whelen MPC01 controller head thinking it would work with my whelen edge ultra

but i was told its a headache to get the controller to work and it will only work with the bar it was programmed to

is this true, or can i still run my light bar off the controller without burning it up

Please, any advice on this topic.

let me know if you need model no. of the bar or controller

and please ask any questions for more info if needed

check my profile under "light bar collection so far" for images of edge ultras

thank you

with respect

Blink1000

fireman846

May 22, 2010
indiana, USA
well there is a way to have it work with ur bar but it will need to be programmed for your set up! on you light bar how many wire do you have coming out the bottom? 1 power 1 ground and maybe 2 or 4 small wires? if you can put a clear pic of the bar you want to have working that would help me out . it sounds like to me your controller needs programed. i can do that but i need a new hard drive first.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
We used to have a few customers who had Serial Products in their fleet.IIRC they had FS or FD model Edge Ultra Freedom bars.We had to program the MPC01 using a transporter box and Serial Control software.I had a guy walk in one day with a MPC01 and needed a new cable and transporter box and I called \/\/ to order a kit for him and it was like I was trying to sell Stinger Missiles to the Taliban.

Who is the buyer? What agency? What is his billing address? Who is his Chief/Boss? Does he have a spare testicle to sacrifice? Needless to say,the guy sold his MPC01 to somebody else and ended up buying a Wecan Liberty.

An older thread about Serial and B-Link products are below:

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/whelen-blink-b-link-serial-thread-6298/

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
I have been in contact with him quite a bit. I think he is dealing with a dealer/installer/nutjob company that really doesn't know too much about these bars.

For the PM reply to your last question, here it is...in the interest in keeping the stuff on the board so that others can help as well..

"The only thing that needs to be programmed is the MPC. The I/O card in the bar has nothing to do with the programming, other than it receives commands from the MPC.

As for the head, it needs to be that "H" revision, and I think then one you have should work (with F as the last digit I think is a H or better controller) but without reading the head, its a guess, but a really good guess.

You don't need to tear the whole bar apart, just look at the plugs where the strobes or halogens plug into...they are all labeled by pen at the factory. As I wrote above, the front corners should be labeled as SA3 on the driver front and SA2 on the passenger front. Nothing too hard.

If you want to send me the head and some $$$, I can program it up to what you want. You just need to tell what is where in the bar front and back and I can program it in and tell you what connectors (as they are labeled) need to be where. Unless someone really moved the plugs around, they should pretty much be where they need to be. IIRC, the wires at the factory are at the lenght then need to be so its not like something that should only reach one side of the bar will be on the other side.

These bars are really not all that hard."

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
And as I reread the above, WRK, not sure who you talked to at W, but that really isn't needed. Back in the day it was a large fleet orientated product, but it was never a restricted product. The transported was used for the messengers, BLINK, and something else that I don't remember.

Heck, the software is only $10...just the transported was many $$$..like the Motorola RIB/SRIB boxes.

He mentions an Ultra bar, and in my PM's states it only has power plus the two comm wires, but also mentions some sort of box. Without a pic I can only speculate that someone put a quick disconnect plug on it.

I have seen departments use MPC01's with conventional edge bars (DCFD being one of them), which is just a waste :) But, when you have companies that don't know the product lines that they sell, thats what happens.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheHumanCop

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.