Whelen Edge with dual lo-pro speakers from the factory?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Until I saw a photo, I thought I was the only one crazy enough to consider mounting two speakers to an Edge bar.

awww.foppes.nl_collection_website7.jpg

I am asking about the blue Edge with it back to the camera.

Did Whelen ever offer dual lo-pro speakers on an Edge as a regular production option, or was this lightbar a homebrew?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have seen several in Eurpoean collections that way...

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
That's been done on an Edge that's mounted on a used and recently acquired engine at the AR Fire Academy. I had to do a double take, too, when I noticed it.

Rene Foppes

Aug 15, 2010
Amsterdam Netherlands
Did Whelen ever offer dual lo-pro speakers on an Edge as a regular production option, or was this lightbar a homebrew?

So sorry for the late answer.

These 52 inch edges were constructed by the Dutch representative for Whelen, the firm HONAC. This model was used in second half of the '90s, begin 2000 on a lot of Chevy Ambulances in the Amsterdam area and some other cities.

The setup was either with 4 Turbotube strobes on the corners or the 4 Turbotubes all facing forward.

In the front center an illuminated sign was mounted, white plastic with red stickers in the word AMBULANCE.

The dual speaker setup was requested by the company that builds the Chevrolet ambulances, because they were using the German Wandel&Golterman WA50 tri-tone siren amplifier that delivered 200Watt output. Put 2 SA40's on the Edge and let the WA50 tri-tone siren roar.

I had 4 of those in my collection years and years ago, traded some, rebuild some, now I only have one original setup like that hanging just right there.

Here's a Chevy ambulance with that Edge model on top from those days, the chevy was donated to an animal-ambulance organization after which they switched out blue for amber lenses

[Broken External Image]:http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8038/img2062pk2.jpg

pic © R. Visser

They even had AdvantEdges with this dual speaker setup back then

[Broken External Image]:http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4131/321amchevroletvanguard30devrie.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.