Whelen Edge

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
I have a Whelen Edge 9M I believe. Total 8 strobes and two rear flashers. Also has take downs and alleys. The two front and rear strobes along with the rear flashers and also the take downs I would want to switch over to LED. My question is, what would I have to do and get to make the switch. Also what type of LED would fit in the spot? I was told that all I would have to do is pretty much replace the heads to the LED but I don't think that's correct so I wanted to check here.

Again, just need to know what it would take.... And what type of LED's would have to go in there.

zack A

May 24, 2010
NC
Rear flashers would be easy as you could just swap the heads. Take down and alleys could be done to if you only used them to flash. As for the rest of the bar, that would get pricey. Sell it and use the money toward a liberty or other light bar of your choice!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Fluffy126577 said:
I have a Whelen Edge 9M I believe. Total 8 strobes and two rear flashers. Also has take downs and alleys. The two front and rear strobes along with the rear flashers and also the take downs I would want to switch over to LED. My question is, what would I have to do and get to make the switch. Also what type of LED would fit in the spot? I was told that all I would have to do is pretty much replace the heads to the LED but I don't think that's correct so I wanted to check here.

Again, just need to know what it would take.... And what type of LED's would have to go in there.

If it's the bar on your car its the series before the 9m

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
I would keep the alley's.. I just mentioned them to show what all the bar had. I would want to keep the four corner strobes and alleys but want to get rid of everything else. What kind of light heads would they use? I just can't see why it would cost to/so much to change out a strobe head. Then again I don't know all to much about the bar. Just love when I come across one that was converted to an all LED model with the corner strobes.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
JohnMarcson said:
If it's the bar on your car its the series before the 9m

That's good to know.

HPD84

May 16, 2010
City of Houston,Texas
You might have to can the lightbar,it's an older Edge 9000 they were discontinued in 2003 and the major switchover went in effect to the current 9M. If you had the 9M you can add LEDs no problem,but older Edge are not easy to add LEDs to i mean the only thing i have ever seen was 700 Series Super LEDs in them :ugeek:

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
The older Edge (9400 Series) will accept 500 series led's using the 700 series/Mircomax reflector standoff's, but spacing may be your problem, The 9M black plastic standoff's will fit a older edge, but again spacing may be an issue. So either way you'll have to modify it to fit what you want.

I haven't put 500 Series LED's in my 9400 series bar, but I have put 500 series Halogen reflectors in and they fit fine with modifying the stand-off's (I have both 9M and the older style)

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
If you have the newer 9M with the plastic filler plates, this would be an easy upgrade. I added 8 tir3's to my 9M by surface mounted the light heads to the center of the filler plate. I synced them by using a led flasher that I mounted inside the light bar. I tapped off of the power and negative wires from the power supply inside. I kept the four corner strobes, 2 front and 2 rear strobes.

I would double stack Tomar rect13's or 14's an have them both flash at the same time for a larger warning footprint.

How many sections do you need to fill?

This is my lightbar on my old vehicle...I now transferred it to my newer 2007 Explorer...I am waiting for the delivery of my 2011 Explorer with a Liberty...

ai66.photobucket.com_albums_h277_cbpdogboy_th_DSCN0040.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.