Whelen EU lightbarcolors vs US lightbarcolors

busbart

Apr 2, 2011
FRANCE
Hello All,

I know that this subject has passed here before, but i could'nt find it again.

does anybody have a link for me?

Whelen EU lightbarcolors vs US lightbarcolors.

Thanks in advance,

Bart

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
what are you trying to figure out what each color is used for, or what colors are used in each country?

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I believe the red, amber, and green are in the same color spectrum range. The only difference is the blue. The US blue is significantly lighter then the EU blue. Just the opposite is true for purple. In the US, we have a dark purple lens. Everywhere that I've seen uses magenta, though it looks more like a light violet to me.

Hopefully someone will be able to pull up the color wavelength requirements. I looked, but couldn't find them.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
NPS Ranger said:
Who knows about Swedish blue, which is different?
I saw something in a fedsig parts list about it but I've got no idea what exactly it means.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
ok people lets get this straight. outside of europe its designated/called, cie blue. inside of europe its designated/called "R-65" blue.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
ERIC6913 said:
ok people lets get this straight. outside of europe its designated/called, cie blue. inside of europe its designated/called "R-65" blue.
I thought that within Europe, what we call "CIE Blue" is just called "Blue".

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
nerdly_dood said:
I thought that within Europe, what we call "CIE Blue" is just called "Blue".

no, they actually have a different shade of blue for each technology, i.e. halogen, strobe and led. the most common being R-65 blue for halogen. European Regulations are much more specific and closely followed. If a light is not approved for use, then you are not allowed to run it.

FGS

May 21, 2010
United States, Maryland
If deep blue is for europe and light blue is for US. How come I have seen both of them here in Liberties? That's just for one department. They use both shade of blue on their PD cars. As much I love the deep blue LEDs but seeing both shades made me wonder.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
FGS said:
If deep blue is for europe and light blue is for US. How come I have seen both of them here in Liberties? That's just for one department. They use both shade of blue on their PD cars. As much I love the deep blue LEDs but seeing both shades made me wonder.
The lighter-blue LED color in some Liberties isn't intended to be there. Whelen gets their LEDs cheaper if they can allow a wider color range in the "blue" category than the typical deep royal blue that ought to be used, which requires more precise manufacturing (or something like that). It doesn't have anything to do with American or European lightbar colors - that's mainly only intended to cover strobe and halogen lights.

There is at least one thread devoted to complaints about Whelen's light blue LEDs.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
ERIC6913 said:
no, they actually have a different shade of blue for each technology, i.e. halogen, strobe and led. the most common being R-65 blue for halogen. European Regulations are much more specific and closely followed. If a light is not approved for use, then you are not allowed to run it.

Yes and no. ECE R-65 (or just R-65 for short) is actually the document regulating all warning lights - be they halogen, strobe, LED or whatever. R-65 only recognises blue and amber as warning colors. The full text can be found here:

http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r065r1e.pdf

IMHO, the document is a bit confusingly written, and needs to be redone due to advances in lighting technology.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
RJ* said:
Yes and no. ECE R-65 (or just R-65 for short) is actually the document regulating all warning lights - be they halogen, strobe, LED or whatever. R-65 only recognises blue and amber as warning colors. The full text can be found here:
http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r065r1e.pdf

IMHO, the document is a bit confusingly written, and needs to be redone due to advances in lighting technology.

well, i do know for a fact that Federal and Hella have different shades for different technologies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bfpd108

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.