Whelen HHS2200 Wiring Question

Big Uncle Moose

Jan 27, 2012
Canada, Manitoba
I recently picked up a Whelen HHS2200 and started wiring it up this weekend. Now at the moment I wanted to run it only as an audible device and will be utilizing the light outputs some time down the road later.

I figured I was being clever and only hooked up wires 1-1 (Ground -) and 1-2 (Siren +) just to supply power to the unit and ignored 1-3 (relay +) and 1-4 (relay +) as I assumed they were for powering any lights and other utilities that are interfaced with the unit.

The amp powers up and the controller turns on, except when I push any of the buttons I don't get any siren output. So my question is, does 1-3 and 1-4 need to be hooked up as well to drive the speaker or is there something else amiss?

This would just save me a lot of time right now so I don't have to run 2 additional 8 gauge wires since my existing wiring from my Carson is all still there.

EDIT: A day earlier I pulled my operational Carson SC-1022 to replace it with my Whelen HHS. I tested the continuity on the speakers as well just in case and it came back positive so I know the speaker is good.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
I believe you need to use one of the 'system activation' triggers also. It's been a while since I've installed one.

try either putting +12 to the wht/red (5-3) or ground to the red/wht (5-8) wire and see if it will work.

http://www.whelen.com/install/142/14207.pdf

LCPA Low Current Power Activation Inputs

(5-3 WHT/RED or 5-8 RED/WHT)

If desired, this system can be switched on (or activated) using Low

Current Power Activation (LCPA) inputs. This is accomplished by

connecting the appropriate LCPA input wire to the desired signal. If the

polarity of the signal to be used is Positive (+), use LCPA Input 5-3. If the

polarity of the signal is Negative (-), use LCPA Input 5-8.

Big Uncle Moose

Jan 27, 2012
Canada, Manitoba
I've done that and the unit powers on. When I press any of the buttons they turn red like they should but there is no siren output.

Bonus points to anybody out there with an HHS that's willing to disconnect their 2 Relay+ wires to see if it still produces tone.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Can you hear the siren working in the relay box?

Have you hooked it up to your computer and looked at the program to see if something is disabled?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.