Whelen Inner-Edge Halogen to LED TD conversion?

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
I tried searching but I do not think anyone has came up with it, or done it.

What I have is a 7 lamp LIN-6 Inner-Edge, with the MR-11 takedowns.

Has anyone switched out the MR-11 for the led takedowns, if I can find some really really cheap, or even try using LED MR11 style lights. I am not really looking for them to use as takedowns, as The MR11 halogen lights suck as it is. My reason is two fold, one I want to add a crisp white wig wag to the bar, with instant on and instant off, and not have to worry about the power up of the halogens. And two, the fan that is used for cooling, is either going out, or just noisy as hell sometimes, so I want to be able to remove it, or hook it so it comes on with the steady burn LED LIN6, as that heat sink gets hot!

It will be going in an Expedition, so the takedowns will kot really be useful that much anyway, as the highbeams are in the rear window of most vehicles, and they are bright. Will be even better when I get a spot light installed, and also put a leveling kit on the truck. When time and funds allow.

I do not plan on changing the take downs for a while, too broke right now and still awhile away from the install for the entire truck, but lookikg at ideas.

I was looking at it when I bought a few bicycle light systems, a BLT and a NiteRider, both using halogen MR11, but looking at LEDs for longer batter life and a crisper throw.

I guess what I am wonder is, will the three led take downs from a Liberty work forna swap? I think that is what is in the newer Inner-Edges?

Any experience with aftermarket LED MR11s?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
PTRJason said:
I tried searching but I do not think anyone has came up with it, or done it.

What I have is a 7 lamp LIN-6 Inner-Edge, with the MR-11 takedowns.

Has anyone switched out the MR-11 for the led takedowns, if I can find some really really cheap, or even try using LED MR11 style lights. I am not really looking for them to use as takedowns, as The MR11 halogen lights suck as it is. My reason is two fold, one I want to add a crisp white wig wag to the bar, with instant on and instant off, and not have to worry about the power up of the halogens. And two, the fan that is used for cooling, is either going out, or just noisy as hell sometimes, so I want to be able to remove it, or hook it so it comes on with the steady burn LED LIN6, as that heat sink gets hot!

It will be going in an Expedition, so the takedowns will kot really be useful that much anyway, as the highbeams are in the rear window of most vehicles, and they are bright. Will be even better when I get a spot light installed, and also put a leveling kit on the truck. When time and funds allow.

I do not plan on changing the take downs for a while, too broke right now and still awhile away from the install for the entire truck, but lookikg at ideas.

I was looking at it when I bought a few bicycle light systems, a BLT and a NiteRider, both using halogen MR11, but looking at LEDs for longer batter life and a crisper throw.

I guess what I am wonder is, will the three led take downs from a Liberty work forna swap? I think that is what is in the newer Inner-Edges?

Any experience with aftermarket LED MR11s?

Just FYI, the "LED MR11's" are model LR11. :thumbsup:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Not sure about the mounting, but I know a member on here swapped out the MR11s in his911ep Millennium for LR11s, he likes em but has to make his own brackets. you are going Whelen to Whelen, so it might work perfect

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Thanks for the info, yeah I know about the LR11s, but I looked into it a little more. I guess the Inner-Edge uses MR8 bulbs.

I was more asking if anyone had used the MR11 LED bulds like with CREE LEDs. The look like the halogen bulbs, same shape, but they are LED. I do not really have the funds to put into getting LR11s, and then having to modify something to work.

The LED replacement bulbs may just be a direct swap. They have MR11 LEDs in 35watt, versions. I am not looking for super bright work lights. Just maybe some upper lever TDs, and have it add flashing white as well. But my high beams will be my primary takedowns. Just looking to get away from the halogen bulbs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.