Whelen Ion vs Federal Signal Impaxx (Tri-color)

ShadowSwipe

Mar 13, 2015
New Jersey
I can't decide which would be better. I'm looking to put two of either type of light on a license plate bracket for rear warning along with the 2 hideaways I already have in the reverse lights. The IONS I have are the TIR optic ones, and are only 1 color, I don't have the federal signal impaxxs yet so I can't compare brightness level unfortunarely.

hfdemt4095

Jul 1, 2014
Holliston ma
What brand hideaways do you have? I'd go with the same company (if applicable) so that you can sync them, of course, if you're looking to do so

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
go with the ions out of those two....

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I can't decide which would be better. I'm looking to put two of either type of light on a license plate bracket for rear warning along with the 2 hideaways I already have in the reverse lights. The IONS I have are the TIR optic ones, and are only 1 color, I don't have the federal signal impaxxs yet so I can't compare brightness level unfortunarely.

The ion multicolors use more of a linear optic, so the inside "guts" are a bit different than the TIR single color version. The impaxx, ion, & nforce tri-color lights are all pretty good, but I think that the nforce and ion have better off-axis. Beyond that, whichever is easier for you to install (depending on the brand of controller you currently have or the controller that you possibly plan on upgrading to in the future) is the way that I'd go

ShadowSwipe

Mar 13, 2015
New Jersey
What brand hideaways do you have? I'd go with the same company (if applicable) so that you can sync them, of course, if you're looking to do so
The hideaways are Feniex Cannons 120s which replaced my reverse lights. I also seemed to forget to mention the fact that the Impaxx's are tri colored, but I would only be using blue/white

Last edited:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Yes but I'm not buying them new, I am getting a bunch used. Otherwise I would just do that.
So then what exactly are you asking for, b/c you're comparing a TIR optic single color ion with a linear optic tri-color impaxx (basically apples and oranges)?

why don't you just wait til you get your impaxx and see how you like them?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.