Whelen Ion Vs. Linz6

wideout_84

Mar 14, 2011
NH
I am thinking about putting some grill lights into my 2010 Tacoma, I like both the Whelen Ion and the Linz6. I am unsure what one to go with. I am of course worried about brightness of the light, how durable it is and low profile. If anyone has information to help me in the choice, even just an opinion, experience, or video and pics, anything would be helpful thank you.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Here's an install we just did on an 2011 Silverado. We put 4 IONs on the grill.

http://www.elightbars.org/forums/f34/b-b-lighting-solutions-2011-silverado-16328/

As for brightness, both are plenty bright. The ION is more of a TIR optic lighthead so its more a head on light, but does have excellent off axis lighting. The LINZ6 is a Linear head so its off axis is great as well, but I do not have any experience with a LINZ6... Both are sturdy and very durable as are almost all Whelen products. The ION is a thinner lighthead, but its wider than the LINZ6. The LINZ6 is a little larger than a TIR3 I believe, but like I said, I have no hands on experience with the LINZ6...

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
If mounted behind the grille, go with the tir style ION. If surface mounted to the grille, go with the LINZ6. Linear lights are a waste mounted behind the grille, IMO.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
The ION is essentially Whelen's version of the Sound Off Signal Ghost. Both the ION and LINZ6 have 6 LEDs, but the ION is a much more rugged light and has a larger footprint. If cost isn't a factor, I would pick the IONs.

HalliganHook

Dec 15, 2010
Long Island, NY
I have experience with both the Whelen ION and Linz6 Series. They are both great lights with similar output. As previously stated, the ION Series uses TIR-style optics for a brighter "head-on" light, while the Linz6 Series uses LIN-optics which spread the lights out to the side more than TIR-style optics. If the lights will be mounted behind a grille, go with the ION's; if the lights are going to be mounted in front of your grille, get the Linz6's. Both are great options though. ~Kirk

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
TritonBoulder47 said:
The LINZ6 is a little larger than a TIR3 I believe, but like I said, I have no hands on experience with the LINZ6...

The LINZ6 is the same size as the TIR3 and LIN3. The flanges are interchangable. The only difference is that the LINZ6 is 1/8 to 1/4 in deeper.

As for linear behind the grille, and vertical for that matter, it really doesn't matter. I had LINZ6s behind my grille and they were just as bright as the TIR3s I had replaced and the LINZ6s I had mounted vertically on my rear plate bracket worked fine. I actually liked the vertical spread, it caught drivers at all levels from cars to semis... there were plenty more lights all around to catch the driver's attention elsewhere.

As to which to go with... go with what will mount the best for you. These are 2 completely different beasts when it comes to mounting. figure out where you want to mount them and go with what will mount best.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.