Whelen Justice flash pattern change question

KPD11-5

Dec 31, 2012
Ohio
Hey everyone im about to lose it. I have been trying for ages to change the flash pattern on the Whelen Justice Lightbar on my cruiser. I have downloaded the manuals and tried everything I could think of and nothing has worked. I know to change the patterns I have to apply 12+ volts the the Scan-lok BUT my problem is I am unable to figure out which wire is the Scan-lok wire and what it exactly looks like and where I can find it. Ive opened up the bar and taken about the center counsel and have had no luck. So if someone could please help me accomplish this I would really appreciate it!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
fire1 said:
Ask Retired1, But have your complete model #, & if it is a WeCan or a competitor series.

I appreciate the recommendation, but I am not an authority. However, that said, I will try and help.

I would like to know the model, size, and date of manufacture.

Here is the wiring guide for changing patterns in a Competitor Series:

http://www.whelen.com/install/141/14114.pdf

Looks like the black wire has to be supplied 12v then pattern changed using the red wire ( a bit different than the white / violet wire used in many other Whelen lights to activate the Scan-Lock [pattern change] feature).

If it is a WeCan bar, I cannot help as the patterns are changed via a WeCan controller or computer (I have been told):

WeCan guide = http://www.whelen.com/install/141/14115.pdf

With the WeCan bar the green and gray wires go to your WeCan contoller

http://www.whelen.com/install/140/14085.pdf

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Automotive/ProductSheets/Sirens_Switches_Speakers/WeCan_Electronic_Control_Head.pdf

http://www.whelen.com/install/141/14157.pdf

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
KPD11-5 said:
Hey everyone im about to lose it. I have been trying for ages to change the flash pattern on the Whelen Justice Lightbar on my cruiser. I have downloaded the manuals and tried everything I could think of and nothing has worked. I know to change the patterns I have to apply 12+ volts the the Scan-lok BUT my problem is I am unable to figure out which wire is the Scan-lok wire and what it exactly looks like and where I can find it. Ive opened up the bar and taken about the center counsel and have had no luck. So if someone could please help me accomplish this I would really appreciate it!!!!

I'm betting you have a WeCan bar, but I can't be sure till you provide a model number. It should be on a sticker inside the dome on the driver's side.

KPD11-5

Dec 31, 2012
Ohio
Thanks guys, I am about 99% sure it is the competitor series but I will provide the rest of the information on the bar as soon as I can.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
KPD11-5 said:
Thanks guys, I am about 99% sure it is the competitor series but I will provide the rest of the information on the bar as soon as I can.

Excellent. I am sure that as soon as the model can be determined more help can be provided.

Jman423 has personal knowledge of controlling the WeCan controller (I do not) - Exhibit #1:

LibertyPSE - Whelen PCCS9NP

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
39 flash patterns, Nice !!

I'll ask our fleet installers, they have ours scaning all patterns except the traffic arrows.

heres a video of the 39 patterns:

scopenhagen

Jan 24, 2015
Arizona
Was there ever a solution for this? We recently got one and the literature is tough for me to understand. We have the Je2nfpa justice bar and from what i can tell, you apply 12v to the black wire to essentially unlock the pattern change and then 12v to the red to change the pattern, let it sit for 5 seconds once pattern is selected and its memorized. My concern is why would you apply power to the ground, seems liek this would create problems and then once thats done, how do you apply power to a wire that already has power going to it? Last thing i wanna do is blow the lightbar up.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

scopenhagen

Jan 24, 2015
Arizona
I have read it, a hundred times now. The wires that connect to the guts of the bar are the same colors as referenced in the 4 conductor option. One wire has the red and black, red/white and black/white. There is a second wire that goes to the passenger side with a red and a black wire into a 6 pin plug.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I missed the model number you listed in your post prior to mine: JE2NFPA. This lightbar should have come set to an NFPA 1901 approved flash pattern. Also, the cables do not include a scan-lock wire. The wiring you describe is like what's listed on page 2 of the install manual for the NFPA Justice, here:

http://www.whelen.com/install/146/14615.pdf

The flasher in your NFPA Justice should still have scan-lock capability, however. You should be able to change flash patterns by momentarily providing +12v DC to pin 6 on the flasher.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
39 flash patterns, Nice !!

I'll ask our fleet installers, they have ours scaning all patterns except the traffic arrows.

heres a video of the 39 patterns:

As an update: My dept just installed a We Can Whelen Justice lightbar on my vehicle. The bar came in the scan lock pattern. I asked for the pattern to be changed to the random alternating each head quad flash as it makes the bar look like its rotating. They spent 30 mins on the phone with whelen and 2 additional hours trying to figure out the program on the computer and I ended up with a Cal 2 scan 3 pattern change before they gave up.. Hope that helps..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.